PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Ram headlight bulbs

Intmdtr
12-13-2017, 04:20 PM
Has anyone upgraded their stock light bulbs to something a bit brighter? My truck has the projector lights but I find them not nearly as bright as others on the road.

Looking for a reputable company that has maybe something in the LED category. Or if you can suggest something else? Not looking for any funky coloured lights, just want brighter.

Laffs
12-13-2017, 07:39 PM
Diode Dynamics will be releasing a line of LED lights for 13+ Rams in January that are designed to work with the factory projection lights and the Canbus system. I will most likely be trying them on my 16' Sport. As of now the only proven and tested option for 13+ projection lights is HID's from Retro Shop. The canbus + space limitation is the hard part.

ZR
12-13-2017, 07:52 PM
Be interested to hear your review.

Laffs
12-13-2017, 10:18 PM
Will do. I'm still somewhat torn, HID will have a longer throw which is nice, but not sure about the cut off of the factory projectors. LED's in my experience are excellent closer lighting but don't have great range.

ZR
12-13-2017, 11:07 PM
After the dismal lights in my former truck, find the RAM lights pretty dam decent but if theres an improvement to be make, bring it!! :)

hsousa88
12-14-2017, 12:18 AM
Anyone here with dual/quad headlights? If you think the factory projectors are bad you should see mine [emoji20] wonder if a upgraded bulb would help. Is it safe to assume that if your not getting 12v to the headlight socket that your not getting the max light output?

Would love some projectors in mine but don’t want to dish out the money for a dd.

Intmdtr
12-14-2017, 06:59 PM
I travel anywhere between 5am and 7am and 6:30-8pm, so needless to say all my driving is done in the dark or lowlight conditions. I just need a new bulb that gives me more.

ZR
01-24-2018, 08:27 AM
Been thinking about the issue your having last few times I've driven at night, find my own to be the best headlights I've ever had. Thought, sure someone has not messed with alignment on yours, either too high or too low?

Intmdtr
01-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Been thinking about the issue your having last few times I've driven at night, find my own to be the best headlights I've ever had. Thought, sure someone has not messed with alignment on yours, either too high or too low?
Was in at dealer today for oil change and recall notice. Enquired about the headlights, techs checked them out and mentioned alignment...all came back as good as they could be with no changes.

ZR
01-24-2018, 09:56 PM
Perhaps they've changed something year to year. Been in GhostRider / Daves truck (2015) at night as well, killer headlights like mine. Drove my brothers 2014 at night on a sledding trip last year, liked them as well.
Oddly enough though, my new sled, peeps in Polaris forums rave about the LED lights, to me they are ok at best.

ZR
01-24-2018, 09:57 PM
Looking forward to your reviewing those upgraded bulbs.

Intmdtr
01-25-2018, 04:07 PM
Diode dynamis now has a price point of $150 per light....a little steep

https://www.diodedynamics.com/low-beam-led-headlight-for-2013-2015-dodge-ram-projector.html

ZR
01-25-2018, 05:24 PM
Man, lotta hay for more light.
Do back em with a three year warranty though.

hsousa88
01-25-2018, 09:59 PM
For the price trucks go for nowadays... should be able to shine right across the flat earth. A shame the quad headlights are so bad.. I need to figure something out whether it be new bulbs or shitty HIDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laffs
02-28-2018, 10:25 AM
Diode dynamis now has a price point of $150 per light....a little steep

https://www.diodedynamics.com/low-beam-led-headlight-for-2013-2015-dodge-ram-projector.html

Price is per pair of bulbs. However

http://www.ramforum.com/threads/diode-dynamics-sl1-9005-led-bulbs-for-projectors-review.116016/

Intmdtr
02-28-2018, 11:07 AM
Maybe it’s the projector headlight housings that are the downfall?

Laffs
02-28-2018, 11:09 AM
Maybe it’s the projector headlight housings that are the downfall?

That's the consensus. The color on the diode dynamics is awesome, but the actual output lacks overall. Myself having bad eyesight I need more output. Now going to order an HID kit for the headlights and see how that works out. The 9005 LED are going to end up in the wifes cobalt it looks like.

Intmdtr
02-28-2018, 04:02 PM
Although it’s not legal, thinking of adding a light bar to the front of my truck....I too need light to see...

Laffs
02-28-2018, 04:24 PM
Ya, been researching a lot today and debating even going this route in conjunction with HIDs

http://www.alteredoffroad.ca/product-p/aor-3154vf-pkg.htm

Ghost Rider
02-28-2018, 05:00 PM
I'm with Rick on this one...my lights are friggin awesome!!

When I come home late at night/early in the morning, there are a couple streets as I get close to home that don't have any street lights as you drive through the forest and it's pitch black, these babies light up everything, long distance and you can see the clear cut from the projectors against all the trees and what not as well, the darker it gets the better they work to be honest lol

Now there were two lights you could get in my year, one with the smoked lens and one clear, however mine does have the smoked lens so I guess that's not the issue???

and LOL @ flat earth

RAT ATK
03-02-2018, 12:35 AM
Anyone here with dual/quad headlights? If you think the factory projectors are bad you should see mine [emoji20] wonder if a upgraded bulb would help. Is it safe to assume that if your not getting 12v to the headlight socket that your not getting the max light output?

Would love some projectors in mine but don’t want to dish out the money for a dd.

Look up H11 to H9 and 9005 to 9011 bulb conversion. Made a massive improvement on my Ram.

hsousa88
03-03-2018, 01:49 PM
Look up H11 to H9 and 9005 to 9011 bulb conversion. Made a massive improvement on my Ram.

I'm watching some vids and it looks pretty straight forward.. I'll give it a shot this spring/summer. Thanks.