PDA

View Full Version : Bit the bullet bought a new truck

4GOTNPNY
01-22-2018, 05:37 PM
so i had my 07 harley since 2011 bought it after a four year lease loved the truck untill the last year i bought a house and the the truck kept letting me down it was eating spark plugs left me stranded on the way to the track with my girlfriend and 4 month old baby i was tired of fixing it and i maintained her every 7000km sythetic oil changes fluids oil spray every year the truck was spotless then i got into learning more about the infamous 5.4 and realized it needed cam phasers oil pump chains i had the dreaded broken manifold studs at 235000km it was time to make a decision dump a few thousand into it and be stuck with a truck that may not last or trade it in. i went to ford gm and dodge and dodge stepped up to the plate they gave me a fully loaded black ram sport crew cab with every option on the list for 48100 and gave me a whoppiong 9000 for my ford i owed a little on the ford still so i made out with just over 4000 to put the dodge at 44000 got myself a new truck for 30 dollars more a payment then my ford i did this last august and after driving the truck for a few months i love everything about it. its a fantastic truck and pulls the mustang much better then the ford. the only thing i want to do is get rear air bag assist for towing when i upgrade to an enclosed trailer. i cant seem to post pictures yet but i will

Minaccia
01-22-2018, 06:00 PM
Congrats but where are the :coolphotos:

ZR
01-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Congrats on the new ride, love to see pics. Depending on the amount of wt you'll be carrying, several different air bag options out there.

For serious loads these guys have the ultimate kit.
https://timbergroveenterprises.com/old-home/

For occasional towing n needs some help, went with this on my own, had their stuff on my last two trucks.
https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60818/

Stephen06GT
01-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Congrats!

Screw
01-22-2018, 06:32 PM
Congrats

Jeff Esliger
01-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Nice welcome to the ram family

55 HD
01-22-2018, 08:14 PM
Congrats........love my RAM

4GOTNPNY
01-22-2018, 09:53 PM
Finally got this tappatalk working got some pics of my Ram https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180123/ff2a23e469695d9d17cea8796961ec3a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180123/a6cd66c54dd6a133af354f2b790e3aca.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180123/6be7fe47e14f17ff2cffb33df412df7a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180123/c59ca66e0b8287cac36353f5332643f8.jpg

ZR
01-22-2018, 09:59 PM
Good looking ride.

4GOTNPNY
01-22-2018, 10:02 PM
Thanks Rick it was a big stressful decision as a new daddy and home owner I thought last big and hard about adding another payment but it worked out wasn't much more then I was already paying just going to be for a few more years lol

Ponyryd
01-22-2018, 10:16 PM
Nice looking rig!
I have bad memories of the 5.4 issues.....done plenty of work on those over the years, seems some are good, but many are bad.
Hemis are pretty durable, although I’m not gonna lie they break manifold studs as well, lol.

4GOTNPNY
01-22-2018, 10:25 PM
Nice looking rig!
I have bad memories of the 5.4 issues.....done plenty of work on those over the years, seems some are good, but many are bad.
Hemis are pretty durable, although I’m not gonna lie they break manifold studs as well, lol.

They all do lol but I can live with manifold studs if I don't have to rebuild the entire engine at 235000

ZR
01-22-2018, 10:43 PM
Sadly all of the manu's are having stud issues.

Ponyryd
01-23-2018, 12:13 AM
Appears so. The he is use stainless bolts but they’re too thin, so they break.....usually flush in the head, not too bad to get out, but not easy by any means. At least they’re not rotting away to pencil thin remains though.

ZR
01-23-2018, 08:11 AM
Exactly that.

Screw
01-23-2018, 08:13 AM
Liking the Sport , I hear you about getting stranded with family in the vehicle that’s what pushed me years ago to get my Mrs into a new family hauler . I’m on the fence re my next truck & I like that look ;)

RedSN
01-23-2018, 10:02 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180123/a6cd66c54dd6a133af354f2b790e3aca.jpg
Now that's a cool pic!
Congrats on the new truck! I hear ya about the peace of mind of a new vehicle. Old beaters are great until they let you down.

...but it worked out wasn't much more then I was already paying just going to be for a few more years lol
Unfortunately this is often overlooked when people tell me "it's only a few bucks more than I was paying". It's not the monthly payment that's expensive, it's the number of additional payments.
My BIL keeps getting new F150's, and each time it's "the dealer gave me such a great deal I couldn't pass it up!"

hsousa88
01-23-2018, 11:06 AM
Nice truck! How does it handle pulling your car? My buddy just got rid of his f150 harley because of the same issues.. then reverse went. Still got decent coin considering it was clapped out. Trucks really do hold their value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4GOTNPNY
01-23-2018, 03:04 PM
Now that's a cool pic!
Congrats on the new truck! I hear ya about the peace of mind of a new vehicle. Old beaters are great until they let you down.

Unfortunately this is often overlooked when people tell me "it's only a few bucks more than I was paying". It's not the monthly payment that's expensive, it's the number of additional payments.
My BIL keeps getting new F150's, and each time it's "the dealer gave me such a great deal I couldn't pass it up!"

thanks we were loaded heading to picton and i had to take a pic its been a few years of milestones for us new house new baby now my first new truck. and yea its the extra added years thats going to hurt but at the end of the day this time its mine since new and i will be maintaining it its entire life not taking on someone elses problem

4GOTNPNY
01-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Nice truck! How does it handle pulling your car? My buddy just got rid of his f150 harley because of the same issues.. then reverse went. Still got decent coin considering it was clapped out. Trucks really do hold their value.

they really do! it pulls like a dream didnt even know the car was behind me at first i love it i dont think i will buy another ford ever again and i love ford.

Ponyryd
01-23-2018, 08:09 PM
They all do lol but I can live with manifold studs if I don't have to rebuild the entire engine at 235000

235k ain’t bad for one of those, I’ve seen them with the tick with much less km, and one customer of ours had a Harley truck do it while still under warranty.......denied warranty of course because “didn’t use Ford oil filters”, lol, that customer has a fleet of Rams now.

Screw
01-23-2018, 10:30 PM
they really do! it pulls like a dream didnt even know the car was behind me at first i love it i dont think i will buy another ford ever again and i love ford.

For real that much better ?

4GOTNPNY
01-24-2018, 09:57 AM
I think so the trailer almost floats with the suspension no leafs in the back of the truck plus the extra power pulls better from why I noticed. But I was also pulling with the 22" Harley wheels which I'm sure didn't make the ride of the ford any good

hsousa88
01-24-2018, 08:00 PM
235k ain’t bad for one of those, I’ve seen them with the tick with much less km, and one customer of ours had a Harley truck do it while still under warranty.......denied warranty of course because “didn’t use Ford oil filters”, lol, that customer has a fleet of Rams now.

Because of a oil filter? No freakin way... I would have lost my shit!!!

Ponyryd
01-24-2018, 08:04 PM
Yup, I was surprised as well, a few years later I was talking to a guy who used to be a service advisor at Ford, and he said the same thing, they deny warranty because the “wrong” filter was used.......which I thought was totally mental. He said he would see tons of those engines with “the tick” and he dreaded it because Ford would deny warranty over anything they could. They seem to be hit and miss though, seen many that run a lot of kms, although usually in cars, not sure if the truck engines are different, I thought they were the same.

hsousa88
01-24-2018, 08:08 PM
No hemi tick here... wonder if the Amsoil helped with that the first 50k kms

Ponyryd
01-24-2018, 09:15 PM
Not Hemi tick, Ford 3v tick. Hemis are fairly stout engines, I’ve seen lifters go bad on a couple, but it’s not common at all.

4GOTNPNY
03-28-2018, 04:44 PM
Not Hemi tick, Ford 3v tick. Hemis are fairly stout engines, I’ve seen lifters go bad on a couple, but it’s not common at all.

i have read about the lifter issues not common at all but you ask anyone they say its a big issue. i personally think if your dont change the oil regularly then it might cause an issue or use cheap oil. so far i have had the truck 6 months put a lot of km on her and have nothing but good things to say i love it cant wait for nicer weather get her detailed and enjoy some racing events with the car if budget allows lol i thought being a die hard ford guy owning a ram would kill me a little inside, but nope not one bit.

4GOTNPNY
03-28-2018, 04:47 PM
Congrats on the new ride, love to see pics. Depending on the amount of wt you'll be carrying, several different air bag options out there.

For serious loads these guys have the ultimate kit.
https://timbergroveenterprises.com/old-home/

For occasional towing n needs some help, went with this on my own, had their stuff on my last two trucks.
https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60818/

hey Rick do you have the compressor in yours? i want to upgrade to an enclosed trailer over the next few years, i think option 2 may be the better option for me to pull the car and possibly small atv or golfcart with the car thinking of a 24 ft but im trying to work out a deal with a friend of a friend with a 28 with awning and propane hook up for bbq and heat but that might be overkill for my truck

ZR
03-28-2018, 06:25 PM
No compressor on mine, used your option two and opted for dual fill ports so I could level the truck if I needed to move an offset load in the box. It will be my third truck with air bags, just give you so much flexibility and don't cost much .

4GOTNPNY
05-15-2018, 09:34 AM
gave my truck its first spring detailing i have to say i love this truck if i had the extra funds i would be doing the air bags right away. however only one issue i have is the autopark i back up the trailer or pull away for a second with the door open and she jams in park wont let me drive phoned the dealer and they said it cannot be disabled. my girlfriend made a good point if shes out alone and someone decides to open the door and try to grab her or pull her out she cant drive away it jams in park. i hope that never comes to that. but i told the dealer and they said it cant be disabled and i hate it just for backing into and pulling away from the trailer anyone disable theirs?

Laffs
05-15-2018, 10:38 AM
What do you mean autopark? I have the exact same truck albeit a 2016 and never encountered what you're saying.

4GOTNPNY
05-15-2018, 04:15 PM
if you have the door open put in drive or reverse the truck does not let you drive and automatically puts you in park

ZR
05-15-2018, 08:23 PM
gave my truck its first spring detailing i have to say i love this truck if i had the extra funds i would be doing the air bags right away. however only one issue i have is the autopark i back up the trailer or pull away for a second with the door open and she jams in park wont let me drive phoned the dealer and they said it cannot be disabled. my girlfriend made a good point if shes out alone and someone decides to open the door and try to grab her or pull her out she cant drive away it jams in park. i hope that never comes to that. but i told the dealer and they said it cant be disabled and i hate it just for backing into and pulling away from the trailer anyone disable theirs?

For your girlfriend, set lock option to auto lock immediately once in drive or reverse.
As for moving with door open for any reason, can recall a fatality I attended where door was snagged while backing up, driver fell out onto the ground, wheel was turned enough and vehicle ran them over. Another one going forward with one leg on the running board saw drivers leg crushed beyond recognition when he clipped corner edge of his house. Yet another when driver missed exit ramp at 401 and Vic Pk, backing up with door open, fell out pulling steering wheel to almost full lock. Car did huge number of circles in reverse before OPP cruiser was stopped behind it.

Laffs
05-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Oh, dealer told me that if you lightly keep foot on brake while reversing it won't toss you in park.