PDA

View Full Version : Basic car care stuff-black DD/family hauler

Ponyryd
03-01-2019, 10:42 PM
I don’t spend much time keeping cars clean and shiny anymore, but would like to do a better job with the family hauler. It’s a 2018 Grand Cherokee, all black, been keeping it clean by just washing and drying, and used some NuFinish paste on it before the winter just so it had something.
I used to use Zaino and loved it, but wasn’t sure what would be best for a DD, as well as what is good for washing. Now, my wife does exactly nothing to keep the car clean, and she’s usually the one driving it, so I need suggestions for a durable wax/polish. I’d love it if there was no residue on plastic and rubber parts, but I can be careful if I need to.
Also wondering what the deal is with the cannons, I don’t have a power washer but it looks cool and depending how it works I may be down to try it.

Screw
03-02-2019, 07:47 AM
Funny my Mrs the same with her Rav , a good rain is a wash lol
For readily avail stuff and limited effort I like Next tech 2.0 by Meguires , easy to use , doesn’t seem to leave white marks on plastics . I’m sure there’s better but ease and I like the smell of it lol ..,no I don’t sniff wax :D

JZ67
03-02-2019, 08:46 AM
I absolutely love my foam cannon (https://www.amazon.ca/MATCC-Cannon-Connector-Pressure-M22-14mm/dp/B071XHG65H/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1X76OWZHYZRUT&keywords=foam+cannon&qid=1551530313&s=gateway&sprefix=foam+c%2Caps%2C267&sr=8-7). I wasn't sure if I would so I didn't spend a fortune but as I said, love it. Once you use one, you won't wash a car without it.

As much as I really like to try to keep the outside clean and given the time of year is nearly impossible, I am more fanatical about keeping the inside clean. Best dollar spend are the WeatherTech floor mats. Keeps the carpets clean and whatever migrates around the matts are quickly cleaned up. The detail cloths from Costco are a great buy as well. I always keep a clean one and a paint brush in the car for quick wiping and dusting. I did say fanatical, right.

hammerhead
03-02-2019, 08:50 AM
lol the high commander is exactly the same and with all the kids and heir lazy ass habits if we every got lost we could easily survive for a week foraging thru the interior.

Mothers has a three wax system, I like that I'm still an old school by hand waxer. 3m also has an excellent wax in a black bottle (can't remember the name). Can be found a C. Tire was about $20 works fantastic on black and hides all swirls and light scuffs in the clear cote...

Screw
03-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Lol hammer I used to say same thing when my yute were kids , French fries & other edibles

hammerhead
03-02-2019, 09:04 AM
hahaha - we don have baby seats anymore but the cushioning taste great with years of caked on Dairy Queen....lol

Screw
03-02-2019, 09:11 AM
Ahhhh sour milk , I hated cleaning our minivans back then...lots of effort & it would go to shiat same day , but those bottles and sip cups :(
I’m in the clear by couple almost 2 decades now though

Ponyryd
03-02-2019, 04:17 PM
I absolutely love my foam cannon (https://www.amazon.ca/MATCC-Cannon-Connector-Pressure-M22-14mm/dp/B071XHG65H/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1X76OWZHYZRUT&keywords=foam+cannon&qid=1551530313&s=gateway&sprefix=foam+c%2Caps%2C267&sr=8-7). I wasn't sure if I would so I didn't spend a fortune but as I said, love it. Once you use one, you won't wash a car without it.

As much as I really like to try to keep the outside clean and given the time of year is nearly impossible, I am more fanatical about keeping the inside clean. Best dollar spend are the WeatherTech floor mats. Keeps the carpets clean and whatever migrates around the matts are quickly cleaned up. The detail cloths from Costco are a great buy as well. I always keep a clean one and a paint brush in the car for quick wiping and dusting. I did say fanatical, right.

Okay so can someone fill me in as to the benefits of the cannon and how to use it plz.
Do you need a power Washer?
Do you need to wash the car first/after?
Is the product available in a jug or is it per use?

Gr8Stang
03-02-2019, 11:44 PM
Okay so can someone fill me in as to the benefits of the cannon and how to use it plz.
Do you need a power Washer?
Do you need to wash the car first/after?
Is the product available in a jug or is it per use?

Check this out. Quite a few YT's on foam cannons. Think it will be my next purchase as well. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEhRXn027kc

FABMAN
03-10-2019, 10:54 AM
When it comes to detailing you can go from mild to really wild. So take that into consideration when looking at products.

That said, foam cannons have gained popularity in the last few years. Most work on a power sprayer and some require adapters to attach to those power sprayers (l.e. I had to buy one for my karcher). There are others that attach to your garden hose as well.

I have both, the garden hose one just helps get more soap on the car but won’t get you that stucco covered look of soap. It’s okay but in hindsight I wouldn’t have bought it.

Power sprayer model is much more effective. Essentially you wet the car and then you spray the soap. The idea is to let it dwell on the car to loosen dirt and help carry it off the finish without touching it as much. The less contact with your paint the less fine scratches. This tool works best on cars that have already gone through paint correction and sealant or ceramic coating. Note: you waste a lot more soap with this.

My X5 has undergone all of those steps and has ceramic coating as well. So usually I can foam cannon it, dwell, rinse and blow dry it with a Leaf blower and minimal waffle towel drying. Wheels still get washed the traditional way.

Hope that helps.

Darkhorse
03-10-2019, 11:13 AM
On a black car, i would break down and do the ceramic coating.

Scrape
03-11-2019, 07:41 AM
Foam guns (cannons) have their pros and cons. I recently had a client ask me about this and said that his foam cannon wasn't doing a good job in foaming up. He had a power washer setup and a Amazon $20 deal. Soap wise he was using Meguiars Gold class soap. That being said the first issue is the soap mix is the most critical. Meguiars Gold Class is not an ideal soap for foam guns period. Lots of other brands out there that are designed to do this but that is another topic. My recommendation is a simple two bucket wash takes precedence over a foam gun unless your car is extremely dirty (Read: trail dirt, mud etc...) or you have intentions of stripping wax off the paint (Which is what I use a foam gun for). The process of foaming your car is for a pre soak process only and cannot be substituted for a wash.

<u>
https://youtu.be/nemwjf_X3Kk

NickD
03-11-2019, 08:02 AM
Foam guns (cannons) have their pros and cons. I recently had a client ask me about this and said that his foam cannon wasn't doing a good job in foaming up. He had a power washer setup and a Amazon $20 deal. Soap wise he was using Meguiars Gold class soap. That being said the first issue is the soap mix is the most critical. Meguiars Gold Class is not an ideal soap for foam guns period.

Interesting your saying that as I experienced and I’ve seen many online discuss how good class does actually foam surprisingly well for a non foam soap. I’m guessing your friend had a low gpm pressure washer and the cheaper foam guns come with a larger orifice for use with gas pressure washers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Laffs
03-11-2019, 09:06 AM
I've run the gold class and the wash n wax yellow in my foam gun. Neither has same results as say a Chemical Guys, but wasnt lacklustre and still did a good job.

Ponyryd
03-11-2019, 11:10 AM
On a black car, i would break down and do the ceramic coating.

Personally I see no benefit to CC over good wax/polish. I’m not in the industry but I’ve seen it done on several cars and was not impressed, seems like a fad to be honest.

I appreciate the replies, I’ll stick to my mitt and bucket, and will look into a better wax.

Darkhorse
03-11-2019, 11:33 AM
Personally I see no benefit to CC over good wax/polish. I’m not in the industry but I’ve seen it done on several cars and was not impressed, seems like a fad to be honest.

I appreciate the replies, I’ll stick to my mitt and bucket, and will look into a better wax.

I was stubborn too until I saw it done correctly. The problem is most people don't know how to do it correctly. Repels water like nothing you've ever seen and no water spots/streaks.

FABMAN
03-11-2019, 07:05 PM
I was stubborn too until I saw it done correctly. The problem is most people don't know how to do it correctly. Repels water like nothing you've ever seen and no water spots/streaks.

I can vouch for that. Both my Mustang and X5 have it and it made a dramatic change. Deeper shine, less washing, more beading of water.

Ponyryd
03-12-2019, 09:31 PM

The cars I saw were done professionally, at 2 different places. Each car showed water spots, as well as swirl marks and imperfections.....could have been shoddy work I suppose, but regardless I’m not impressed. I typically don’t believe the hype on anything until it’s actually proven to me.
I do appreciate all the replies though.

Still looking for a good wax for black cars that get driven year-round, cost is irrelevant, I want something durable, with a good deep shine.

RedSN
03-12-2019, 10:57 PM
It’s a black DD. Throw in the towel now and just admit defeat. It’s always going to look dirty.

Despite knowing that already, I still went and got a black DD. It just looked so damn good in the showroom.