PDA

View Full Version : Door speakers.. plugged in and nothing

hsousa88
05-26-2014, 12:46 PM
This part of the forum has been quite.. so heres something for you guys to chew on.

Ok, so I picked up some Pioneer speakers to put in my doors. They fit great and should sound decent (not looking for show quality sound) I also picked up the speaker wire adapter for Fords from crutchfeild.

The speaker wires in my doors are there. I have everything plugged in correctly, turn key and no sound. Whats going on? I find it hard to believe that Ford put the wires there but didnt connect it to the rest of the harness.

88 lx, 4 speaker car with a regular Ford cassette radio

Not4you
05-26-2014, 01:24 PM
any evidence in the car of a former install? some electronic shops do pretty hack jobs and leave all sorts of wire behind, or disconnect stuff etc. could be that that wire is dead on the other end or it has been spliced somewhere between point A and point B.

hsousa88
05-26-2014, 01:30 PM
any evidence in the car of a former install? some electronic shops do pretty hack jobs and leave all sorts of wire behind, or disconnect stuff etc. could be that that wire is dead on the other end or it has been spliced somewhere between point A and point B.

Nothing that I can point out.. there def. was never any speakers there as the plastic was still around the speaker hole.

Old Fart
05-26-2014, 01:50 PM
How about at the back of the radio?

Nghtrdr
05-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Assuming the radio has power and the harness is connected at the back of the radio u will need to test for shorts from the speaker harness back to the radio harness. Use a multimeter and test for continuity from each door wire harness to the radio harness at the back of the radio. Test all wires. The radio harness is not connected to the radio for the test. If all is good, u may have to look at the radio as the fault.

ZR
05-26-2014, 06:50 PM
If it never had speakers there, excellent chance they are not connected at the radio end.

Slope
05-26-2014, 06:52 PM
If it never had speakers there, excellent chance they are not connected at the radio end.

Ding ding.

Only Premium Sound cars were pre-wired for the door speakers.

They run in parallel with the dash speakers.

hsousa88
05-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Ok pulled the deck and heres what I see.. there are no extra wires in there.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/27/amu8y9ab.jpg

Slope
05-26-2014, 08:01 PM
What you need to do is find where the wires pass through the accordion tube in the door jamb.

The harness that's in the door (that you connected your new speakers too) goes to NOTHING at the other end.

hsousa88
05-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Ok I hear ya.. but how? By looking at it, it doesn't seem very straight forward. I popped off the driver side dash speaker and I dont see anything. I also took off the kick panel and still see nothing.

ZR
05-26-2014, 08:25 PM
Run a wire off the dash speaker down to the door.

Slope
05-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Ok I hear ya.. but how? By looking at it, it doesn't seem very straight forward. I popped off the driver side dash speaker and I dont see anything. I also took off the kick panel and still see nothing.

Make note of the colour of the two original factory speaker wires. Follow the loom of wires that passes through the accordion/grommet and into the car. Find those two wires that match the door speaker wire colours.

Slope
05-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Run a wire off the dash speaker down to the door.

Or you can do this.^^^

It's how they are essentially run from the Factory.

hsousa88
05-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Thats most likely what I will end up doing.. cant for the life of me find those 2 damn wires...

So, just cut the dash wires and splice in new ones to the door.. yes?

Slope
05-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Bear in mind the Polarity/Phase if you chose that route.

needboost
05-28-2014, 04:11 PM
My 92 had no door speakers till I got it and there was no wiring for speakers in the door, I had a lot of fun getting wires in there for a mid and tweeter. Now with my new door speakers I'm moving the tweeter to the dash speaker location so I have to pull one wire back out of the door and run it up to the dash speaker spot.

jibbijib
06-01-2014, 08:56 PM
My 92 had no door speakers till I got it and there was no wiring for speakers in the door, I had a lot of fun getting wires in there for a mid and tweeter. Now with my new door speakers I'm moving the tweeter to the dash speaker location so I have to pull one wire back out of the door and run it up to the dash speaker spot.

If you already have dash speakers you can run the wires off that speaker to the tweeter. If not, just splice into the wire going to the doors. Or, make your life easier and run a new wire from the hookup behind the stereo to your dash. But, all dashes of cars with the stereo have stock wires in them, so you should be able to find them if you search around enough.

Slick_89_Hatch
06-03-2014, 04:06 PM

Pull the panels down by your foot, you may see the harness coming in from the door there not connected to anything. If you find the disconnected harness, you can just extend the wires or see if there is anywhere to plug them in.

needboost
06-03-2014, 04:24 PM
If you already have dash speakers you can run the wires off that speaker to the tweeter. If not, just splice into the wire going to the doors. Or, make your life easier and run a new wire from the hookup behind the stereo to your dash. But, all dashes of cars with the stereo have stock wires in them, so you should be able to find them if you search around enough.

All my speakers are run of my amps in the trunk, and yes the factory dash speaker wire is still there. I'm just glad I used two different colour wires for the mid and the tweeter so I didn't pull the wrong one back out of the door.