PDA

View Full Version : Clearcoat Failure

Laffs
06-14-2021, 08:38 AM
Well, not the post I wanted to make but here goes. Noticing these patches popping up on my passenger side 1/4. They don't appear to be able to clean off, but also don't appear to transfer any paint. Wondering if my clearcoat starting to fail, don't know how car has always been waxed, stored inside, no winters no rain but yeah. Any advice on what this could be is appreciated.

hammerhead
06-14-2021, 10:39 AM
hard to tell from the pic does it feel bumpy or is it spots in the clear...?

Laffs
06-14-2021, 12:41 PM
Feels the same as other areas, just has almost a dull greyish hue to it.

hammerhead
06-14-2021, 01:07 PM
wondering if it is hardened wax trapped in tiny pin holes...

Laffs
06-14-2021, 02:41 PM
wondering if it is hardened wax trapped in tiny pin holes...

I did wax it a few weeks ago...

ZR
06-14-2021, 08:45 PM
^ good thought above.

Laffs
06-14-2021, 08:53 PM
I tried apply some fresh wax and buffing off. Made it look a little better but still present. Had a few guys more knowledgeable than me look at it. They say it looks like a failing clearcoat blend. So possibly the car had paintwork prior to my ownership. Looks like I got some hard decisions to make.

hammerhead
06-14-2021, 09:02 PM
I tried apply some fresh wax and buffing off. Made it look a little better but still present. Had a few guys more knowledgeable than me look at it. They say it looks like a failing clearcoat blend. So possibly the car had paintwork prior to my ownership. Looks like I got some hard decisions to make.

Without seeing it I was thinking that the effected quarter may of had a quick repaint if that is the only area that this is occurring

Laffs
06-14-2021, 09:06 PM
Without seeing it I was thinking that the effected quarter may of had a quick repaint if that is the only area that this is occurring
Only spots are passenger side quarter and a part of the windshield trim. Front bumper is pretty thrashed from rock chips, fenders and hood showing signs of paint checking, big question is full repaint or just touch up the areas that have defects. Or just go its 21 year old car you fucking moron it will never be perfect.

hammerhead
06-14-2021, 09:09 PM
Only spots are passenger side quarter and a part of the windshield trim. Front bumper is pretty thrashed from rock chips, fenders and hood showing signs of paint checking, big question is full repaint or just touch up the areas that have defects. Or just go its 21 year old car you fucking moron it will never be perfect.

Might be able to wet sand and buff or maybe clay bar (I’ve never used a clay bar) but it may be less aggressive and cheaper than cut and buff 3m compounds are pretty expensive - some detailers can do amazing things as well

Ponyryd
06-14-2021, 10:28 PM
I’d leave it as it is, to me it’s very hard to enjoy a showcar….. if you repaint it I’m thinking you’ll drive it less and less for fear something will happen.

FABMAN
06-15-2021, 07:23 AM
I would advise to drive it until you are ready to paint the front clip. Once you are ready to do that then you can do the rear quarter. Until then, just drive and enjoy.

Laffs
06-15-2021, 09:45 AM
Wish my brain allowed me to do that.

Ponyryd
06-15-2021, 12:46 PM
You could always do some kind of wrap on the rear, maybe a mystic wrap, or a large graphic?
A bit flashy for you I’m sure, but just thinking out loud here.

Laffs
06-15-2021, 04:22 PM
Booking appointments with body shops for later in the week. I wish I could leave it alone I really do but you're talking to a person who gets heart palpitations if he doesn't wash his vehicle before every drive (which is probably why your clearcoat is gone you idiot)

hammerhead
06-15-2021, 04:41 PM
Booking appointments with body shops for later in the week. I wish I could leave it alone I really do but you're talking to a person who gets heart palpitations if he doesn't wash his vehicle before every drive (which is probably why your clearcoat is gone you idiot)

too funny lol - it wears off with age for me anyway - you wont be happy with a wrap unless you prep all the blemishes first they will show thru - might as well paint - clear can do funny things seen a few cars lately that are peeling - happens alot with paint too in collision sweat shops pumping them out for insurance companies - also the elements can play a role...

Laffs
06-15-2021, 04:44 PM
too funny lol - it wears off with age for me anyway - you wont be happy with a wrap unless you prep all the blemishes first they will show thru - might as well paint - clear can do funny things seen a few cars lately that are peeling - happens alot with paint too in collision sweat shops pumping them out for insurance companies - also the elements can play a role...

Had hoped to have more time with factory paint because paint work terrifies me. Cars been stored inside for all 14 years of my ownership, never winter driven, etc etc etc but guess everything fails eventually.

mavrrrick
06-15-2021, 09:28 PM
Get ahold of Elton at TOXIX and see what he thinks. He will steer you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laffs
06-26-2021, 06:55 PM
Official verdict is that at some point prior to my ownership the car was repaired in this area and what I'm seeing is the failure of the blend agent from UV rays. So only way to fix is to respray that panel. Since I want to have front bumper reshot with a blend in to fenders, and the minor defects I point out on other panesls, been strongly advised that with my level of OCD (re:stupidity) the only way to go is a really a full shoot of the entire car. Yeaaaaaaaaaa

Zutz2v
06-27-2021, 07:25 AM
Official verdict is that at some point prior to my ownership the car was repaired in this area and what I'm seeing is the failure of the blend agent from UV rays. So only way to fix is to respray that panel. Since I want to have front bumper reshot with a blend in to fenders, and the minor defects I point out on other panesls, been strongly advised that with my level of OCD (re:stupidity) the only way to go is a really a full shoot of the entire car. Yeaaaaaaaaaa

The cars a very tho, wouldn’t it be cheaper to re-spray it then most because of less paint etc etc ? Or am I wrong about that ? I’m not far behind you on the paint, I want the cobra front bumper and since I’m there I need the hood redone and ya……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laffs
06-28-2021, 09:25 AM
Convertible might be less because no roof but probably talking about a difference of spending $3500 for a scuff and shoot vs $4000+ for hardtop.

saleen27c
06-29-2021, 10:20 AM
hard to really tell based on the pics...but that honestly doesn't look terrible. I've seen worse that were revived back to showroom with a proper wet sand and polish that someone had already suggested. Prior to dropping all that $$$ on a paint job, you should seriously try that first. You'd be surprised. Which every way you decide....good luck. This ride has always been one of my favs on this board for years. I remember trying to convince you, years ago, to go the Saleen Conversion, as I did on my 0ld 04'. LOL..but your set up right now is killer. Cheers!

Laffs
06-29-2021, 03:55 PM
I am buddies with the best paint correction/detailer in the city. He said because it's the failed blend to wet sand it out would be to remove all the clear entirely and require a full re-clear. Appreciate the kind words.

Ponyryd
06-29-2021, 07:55 PM
Convertible might be less because no roof but probably talking about a difference of spending $3500 for a scuff and shoot vs $4000+ for hardtop.

Unless you know someone and they work for free, you won’t be happy with a $3500 paint job. Just sayin.

Laffs
06-30-2021, 08:28 AM
Unless you know someone and they work for free, you won’t be happy with a $3500 paint job. Just sayin.

guess I'll just sell it.