PDA

View Full Version : Styrofoam04's TMP Experience

Styrofoam04
05-29-2014, 01:58 PM
First I’d like to start off my thanking everyone who set up the even and those that helped me out, whether it was at the track or on the forums.

I couldn’t sleep the night before, too excited and worried. So I watched some TMP videos of members. Some were soo slow that I fell asleep … haha just kidding. They were really helpful.

I had the day planned out. I’d sit shotgun in a few rides and learn what I can. Then have someone in my car sitting shotgun to guide me... then go on my own.

I got there pretty nervous and worried about messing up on the track. Matt was the first person I asked to ride shotgun, mostly because I wanted a ride in the mach1. It was a big mistake! Espically for my nerves lol. Matt drives hard and fast…He is very good! I was flying all over the place… and so was my stomach! I felt sick! And started thinking that this wasn’t for me.

After watching team yellow do their thing. I felt a little better. I asked Don if he’d ride in my car. He agreed but he was just about to head out himself. He offered shotgun so I grabbed my helmet and jumped in. I always wanted to ride in his car too.. I think he spent more on the suspension on his car then the whole Garage of Doom! Lol

Again I was thrown around and felt sick, but there was no time for that. It’s my turn to get behind the wheel.

Don riding shotgun. Warning me not to gun it like the ¼ mile when the marshal gives the go. That is a big rookie mistake. He showed me when to break and when to turn. I did my first lap and my stomach was fine. Turns out it’s just a passenger thing. So I got more confidence and went alot faster thus ended with us flying off the track. I went into turn 3 way too fast, eventually I learned that this turn sets you up for turns 4 and 5. Because i was to fast we were pushed out wide and on turn 5 it was just too far out. My first instinct was to try to save… but I resisted! The front right tire went off the track and … Bang!! We hit something hard! Pothole, curb, no idea but it was hard!
We stopped on the grass, don asked if I was okay. Then told me to slowly go on the track and stay off the lines. I put it in first gear and nothing… engine revving but no movement. Both of us thought the car was f**ked! I dropped the tranny or something!
But it was nothing like that. We were just stuck in the mud. Lol

We got out eventually and pitted. We checked the car out and cleaned it up a bit. Aaaaannnnd we were back on the track. I made many mistakes and hopefully learned from them.

Don then introduced me to Brad. And Brad is awesome! No offence to everyone else who helped me, but Brad is awesome! He taught me a lot! Exactly when to break, to shift. Turn late here, cheat here, look for this and that. I improved a lot! And I also got a ride in his fox…Sooo smooth. Like night and day.

Next up was to drive without help. Not much to say here except that I felt I got better and better each lap. I felt like I was hitting the lines better and braking harder. I was passed by everyone lol! but I thought I did pretty good for a stock New Edge.
At one point almost passed the white cobra on his cool down. My uncle was “look you’re going to pass some one!... oh he’s pitting.”
It happened a second time, same car, and he was like “ ha, you’re going to pass him this time!” But he was pitting again.
To make me feel better he said something like “He’s pitting because he doesn't want you to pass him. Lol”

Overall I had a great time and can’t wait for the next event. I’m very happy with the way the car handled. She feels better now somehow…or its just me. I got a pretty bad sunburn on my Fivehead and had to explain that to work. Especially since I was supposed to be sick. Lol no worries tho, told a doozy of a tale. cough, cough.
I also realized that my stomach doesn't like being a passenger, but loves being a driver!

My favorite turns are 13 and 14. Doing that on one turn is a blast! And the squeal! Runner up is turn 7. I read ahead of time to take that one really late from members of the forum. (I think it was Don?) So I did that from the getgo. I also like the chicane and the turn after.

I had my uncle film the event but, his camera work needs improvment. I have alot of footage of grass. When he was shotgun I got some pretty nice videos of my dash. I'll see what I can get out of it.

Thanks for reading

Stephen06GT
05-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Congrats on your first time out. It's very addictivie isn't it?

Blackmare
05-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Congrats and great write up! I felt extremely nervous my first time out as well. There are a great bunch of guys that go to these track days, and they are always willing to lend a hand or provide advice.
Also not a very good passenger either. Totally know what that feels like. :)

99chromegt
05-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Great write up. It's funny how going into this we had the same plan. Riding shotgun etc... Once I saw that novice flag go up I hadn't lined anything up so I just headed out on the track solo. Now that I'm hooked like you, I will get some coaching so I can push it after the car is tuned and setup better. Great to read about your experience. Hope to see you at the track again.
Cheers
Andrew

Styrofoam04
05-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Thanks, I was good to quickly meet you. I kept walking by your car but u were never there lol then you and ur car was gone. lol.

Edit: I'm really glad I followed my game plan. I prolly would have seen alot more Grass

CanadianDrPhil
05-29-2014, 02:29 PM
I was just coming to turn 2 when I spotted your car in the mud. Now I know who it was lol. Thats ok. We are glad you had a great time!

Sent from my mind via Jedi Mind Trick

Not4you
05-29-2014, 02:41 PM
Glad you had a great day. Sorry about your stomache. maybe next track day I will offer gravol as a pre-flight snack for passengers. and sorry I couldn't help more. I was intending to give a running commentary but it was my first time out with the new setup and so I was learning myself! next time I'll be much more helpful.

Styrofoam04
05-29-2014, 03:08 PM
LOL no worries, It was your first lap of the day. your car has tonss of power! both stopping and going! wouldn't have had it any other way. I think I just don't like being a passenger! loved the ride tho. Don showed me a trick to stay in place as a passenger and it works. Would love another ride in the Mach1 next time I'll try his trick

How did you like your new setup?

RedSN
05-29-2014, 03:19 PM
A cheap little gizmo to keep the driver in his/her seat: http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html
Well worth it IMO.

Not4you
05-29-2014, 03:24 PM
LOL no worries, It was your first lap of the day. your car has tonss of power! both stopping and going! wouldn't have had it any other way. I think I just don't like being a passenger! loved the ride tho. Don showed me a trick to stay in place as a passenger and it works. Would love another ride in the Mach1 next time I'll try his trick

How did you like your new setup?

I love the feel of the car now! but it took some getting used to. after nearly 15 years of lapping in mustangs (mostly foxbodies) this car really feels a lot different with the torque arm and coilovers.

Stephen06GT
05-29-2014, 03:37 PM
A cheap little gizmo to keep the driver in his/her seat: http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html
Well worth it IMO.

x2....

tulowd
05-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Congrats on a terrific day to you. Glad you enjoyed it, you and your car looked very good on the laps I saw you - pretty smooth and consistent - perhaps you can give me a few pointers next time!

Styrofoam04
09-12-2014, 01:47 PM
I've decided to add to this thread rather then starting a new one. This will be my TMP blog following my new Hobby. Which I had an amazing time again.

I orginally had 4-5 friends attending. one with an Evo another with a Camaro, and spectators.... all of them bailed. Two of the spectators bailed that morning and I had no one going with me. TMP is fun but I'd like to share the experience with someone. Last ditch effort I called my yonger sister 7:30am and she taggged along
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/Styrofoam04/Mustang/3df44678-2704-4f2a-806a-59ed13b9d225_zpseed83437.jpg

She had a blast too.

We didn't get there untill 10:30am. I didn't get on the track untul 11:20 I asked 1BAD92LX to ride shotgun as a refresher. Thanks Brad!

Just like last time, my first session, second lap I ended up in the grass :shrug: I went through the chicane too quick for my 2nd lap. I also didn't brake early enough in turn 8. While in the turn, I lost grip on the rear tires and spun 180 degs. then I quickly pulled off onto the grass. Whitehot was behind me and skillfully avoided me...Thanks for that. We pitted then went back on for some slower laps.

It seems that quite a few people spun that day. might have something to do with all the goose shit lol

I was a bit shaken so decided to go on a few ride alongs. I ended up only riding with Tulowd's Monster Fox and had a blast. (an interesting lap as well).His car really pulls and Paul's a great guy with alot of advice and experience.

After lunch I went back on the track and took my sister shotgun. I wanted to try out the torque Pro app on my phone with the OBD2 bluetooth reader I bought. So I mounted it in the car and set the data to start recording and recorded about 8 laps. Then exported it to excel. Soo much Data took me 4 hours but I love making spreadsheets. unfortunetly I only recorded this second session and not any of my better sessions. Im not a pro by any means but like I said I like this stuff. So I here is this chart of my best lap in that session.

Lap 3

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/Styrofoam04/Mustang/TMPTrackLog20140910_zpse838484f.jpg
I added notes where I believe the turns are, My top Rpms and Top speed. I can see where I changed gears to 4th on the straightaway and I also noticed that my RPMS drop too low by staying in 3rd for the rest of the course. I think with a good set of tires and keeping the RPMs above 3000 by shifting to second. I should see a great improvement. It's a pretty cool app

The rest of the day I spent meeting new drivers while waiting for the green flag and practicing my lines while on the track. I did mount the camera in the car but I have some editing to do..if I post it at all.

Thanks for reading and following my progress

Stephen06GT
09-12-2014, 02:14 PM
It seems that quite a few people spun that day. might have something to do with all the goose shit lol...

I didn't spin, but me an Ol Paint did pay a visit to the grass. It was nice meeting you and I'm glad you enjoyed the day.

Stephen

PS: Now that you have your feet wet, keep your eyes open next spring for Mustangs at Mosport.

PSS: Can you tell me a little more about the phone app you are using (type of phone, OBDII dongle, name of the app.)?

RedSN
09-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Glad you got back on the horse after your spin out. It can be a very intimidating experience.
Fortunately I've only had one spin out, turn 6 at TMP after Matt suggested i try downshifting to second.
And one high speed drift on turn 2 at Mosport.

Very cool your sister came out. Hope she had fun.

Styrofoam04
09-12-2014, 02:34 PM
I didn't spin, but me an Ol Paint did pay a visit to the grass. It was nice meeting you and I'm glad you enjoyed the day.

Stephen

PS: Now that you have your feet wet, keep your eyes open next spring for Mustangs at Mosport.

PSS: Can you tell me a little more about the phone app you are using (type of phone, OBDII dongle, name of the app.)?

Its called Torque Pro and I believe it only works on android phones. You also need the bluetooth OBD2 reader. Here is a thread Matt started.
http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?1560-Torque-OBD-II-reading-phone-app
I bought the same one. cost me $15 the app was $4.99

http://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-CAN-BUS-Diagnostic-Windows-Android/dp/B009RLB4Z8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399390191&sr=8-1

As for Mosport I plan on giving it a try next season after my 3rd TMP

Screw
09-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Way to go Joel awesome

Styrofoam04
09-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Glad you got back on the horse after your spin out. It can be a very intimidating experience.
Fortunately I've only had one spin out, turn 6 at TMP after Matt suggested i try downshifting to second.
And one high speed drift on turn 2 at Mosport.

Very cool your sister came out. Hope she had fun.

She had a blast and now want to buy a Mustang lol

My chart shows I lost alot of RPM on turn 6. Did you try downshifting again?

I believe that turn 8 or 9 I should be in 2nd gear as well and hold it till pulling out of turn 12

99chromegt
09-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Once again great write up. Nice seeing you again. Very cool that you did some data logging. Goose shit had nothing to do with my 180 & on the very next lap in the same spot my zig zag. I was pushing it and carried too much speed into the corner... Chickened out when I started to slide, tapped the brakes and there goes the ass end. f150screw was riding along and really enjoyed those moments lol. We both need more seat time and coaching. Being in control and smooth first and the speed thing will come in time. I know the right rubber on the strip is makes a night and day difference, so I'm assuming the same applies for the R/C. I'm still on a high from that day. See you at the next track day in the spring!

RedSN
09-12-2014, 03:16 PM
My chart shows I lost alot of RPM on turn 6. Did you try downshifting again?
No. I keep it in 3rd all they way around, except I'm up into 4th on the two straights, and down into second on the last turn before the main straight. The old 5.0 is torquey enough down low to come out of the turns. Besides, allows me to concentrate on my lines versus shifting.

Stephen06GT
09-12-2014, 03:30 PM
No. I keep it in 3rd all they way around, except I'm up into 4th on the two straights, and down into second on the last turn before the main straight. The old 5.0 is torquey enough down low to come out of the turns. Besides, allows me to concentrate on my lines versus shifting.

x 2 (except for the old 5.0 part :D )

ZR
09-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Cool write up for sure..........thanks

tulowd
09-12-2014, 07:37 PM

What rear end gear do y'all run? My 4.10 is nfg for TMP - hit the limiter in at least 3 sections.....so a new ratio is in my future

tulowd
09-12-2014, 07:41 PM
I was a bit shaken so decided to go on a few ride alongs. I ended up only riding with Tulowd's Monster Fox and had a blast. (an interesting lap as well).His car really pulls and Paul's a great guy with alot of advice and experience.

Lol; glad you enjoyed the spin out at 100km/hr.....was fun....after I confirmed no loss of tire lol

Awesome to hear how much you enjoy doing this - main thing is to be safe and learn something and contribute every time...even if it involves getting red faced and or breaking something. I got away cheap this time - clutch cable burnt off again.....new headers likely in my future.
Car still needs some serious tuning and only made max power the first lap or two from totally cold, so there is a bunch more performance still hiding... :)

98 Snake
09-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Last year was my first time out. I never left 3rd gear and my car has 327's out back. My car was lugging through the tight sections.
This time i used 2nd alot it really helps with getting out of the corners. I have a set of 3.55s im gonna try.

Screw
09-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Once again great write up. Nice seeing you again. Very cool that you did some data logging. Goose shit had nothing to do with my 180 & on the very next lap in the same spot my zig zag. I was pushing it and carried too much speed into the corner... Chickened out when I started to slide, tapped the brakes and there goes the ass end. f150screw was riding along and really enjoyed those moments lol. We both need more seat time and coaching. Being in control and smooth first and the speed thing will come in time. I know the right rubber on the strip is makes a night and day difference, so I'm assuming the same applies for the R/C. I'm still on a high from that day. See you at the next track day in the spring!

Joel great write up , you sound pretty passionate about the sport..... car 99 was trying to give me a heart attack lol , if his gopro was working it would of been some cool footage .

NickD
09-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Joel it was great meeting and hanging out with you and your sister. Had a lot of fun. My spin was matt's fault too ;) right after the chicane I gave it a bit too much gas (in second) and smoked the tires into a 180.
I messed around with leaving it in 3rd the whole time, changing into second early on but found I was having to back off redline at the chicane. I found the easiest was in the small straight section 2 turns from the main straight.
You really need to teach me how to use torque pro. I have 3 Bluetooth obd readers and the radio in the mustang is set up to mirror the phone so I could have torque built into the car.

Not4you
09-12-2014, 11:30 PM
har dee har har ... I can help with breaking and the line. I need to assume that you can at least accelerate on your own. but its not the first time I've seen guys do exactly the same thing in that spot. it is a tight corner and if you get trigger happy on the gas and can't catch it, its coming around. the dirt and goose shit didn't help either.

Styrofoam04
09-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Ha Ha It's all your fault Matt and here I thought it was all that goose shit lol

Last year was my first time out. I never left 3rd gear and my car has 327's out back. My car was lugging through the tight sections.
This time i used 2nd alot it really helps with getting out of the corners. I have a set of 3.55s im gonna try.
I'm running 3.73. I keep saying it but next time I'll try to drop it in second.

Joel great write up , you sound pretty passionate about the sport..... car 99 was trying to give me a heart attack lol , if his gopro was working it would of been some cool footage .
I bet thats exactly how Whitehot felt behind me. TBH I didn't even know he was there until i saw the video of my spin. I rather enjoy the sport. I don't have cash to mod the car so I'll train the driver mod lol

Joel it was great meeting and hanging out with you and your sister. Had a lot of fun. My spin was matt's fault too ;) right after the chicane I gave it a bit too much gas (in second) and smoked the tires into a 180.
I messed around with leaving it in 3rd the whole time, changing into second early on but found I was having to back off redline at the chicane. I found the easiest was in the small straight section 2 turns from the main straight. You really need to teach me how to use torque pro. I have 3 Bluetooth obd readers and the radio in the mustang is set up to mirror the phone so I could have torque built into the car.
I didn't realise you spun too? Ya thats exactly where I spun. but its my fualt for not braking early enough.
That's pretty cool set up I want that. My phones on a stupid Crappy tire suction cup thingy. It's pretty sratight forward. you go into your setting and pick the sensors you want to log. Then while live you hit the menu button then the start logging. when finished stop loging and email it to yourself. The rest is Excel work, you get tons of data and numbers you have to sort out. Took me a few hours to make that

Styrofoam04
09-13-2014, 09:48 AM
I didn't take many photos, Only 3:

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/Styrofoam04/Mustang/5b110981-18d3-4aa4-a6a2-ab085baa1fb8_zps877d3bb6.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/Styrofoam04/Mustang/1bb69d67-f0e9-416b-be6c-083a90d0ed46_zps1497c8ca.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/Styrofoam04/Mustang/0de54131-6fea-4357-86fc-3c884ae81f96_zps95f95afb.jpg

99chromegt
09-13-2014, 03:19 PM
^^You got pics of 3 great R/C rides. I never grow tired of watching them do their thing out there.

Styrofoam04
09-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Ya I completly forgot to take pics. So when I did there were no cars around lol

Some Brake Dust!1
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/Styrofoam04/Mustang/7ed97ab7-650b-4aed-a742-b5b92769d946_zps4e150292.jpg

Styrofoam04
09-17-2014, 10:10 AM
So here is a video of my 3 session I only managed to get 3 Laps before the camera tilted up an all you see is the sky. But it looks like I had the track to myself which is pretty cool!

http://youtu.be/KmhNR_N-CpQ

My 3rd lap time is about 1.40.0

I'm interested in any advice or comments.

Thanks Joel

Stephen06GT
09-17-2014, 03:34 PM
What kind of camera are you using Joel?

KIDAGIN
09-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Nice vids Joel looks like you had some smooth laps

Styrofoam04
09-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks Doug!

Stephen, It was just my phone. Samsung Note 2. I had it mounted with a Grip Go I bought at crappy tire
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/669/193/759/759193669_607.jpg

Next time I think I will add a bit of superglue so it doesn't tilt

I have some other videos from my sisters camcorder but the quality really sux and I have to edit out the wobbly parts lol. Im not that great at editing

Styrofoam04
10-11-2016, 03:29 PM
I figured I would dredge up this thread instead of making a new one.

It's been a while since my last track day, so I had buy a few things to get ready.

I bought a better mount for my phone
I bought Spline lug nuts for my rear Rims which have the tuner holes
and Rick and Ross fixed my car lol
I have also downloaded a few apps to try out. RaceChrono, Track Attack and TrackAddict

A buddy is lending me his GoPro 3 black. So that should be fun.

I also need to make a checklist of other things to bring
(Don, Didn't you have a checklist somewhere)

Cheers cant wait to see you all there

Blackmare
10-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Here's a thread with some different peoples checklists Joel.

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?5132-Track-day-stuff&highlight=checklist

Styrofoam04
10-11-2016, 03:37 PM
Thanks Scott, exactly what I was looking for

With the spring track day only four weeks away, I thought a "Track Day Stuff" thread would be appropriate. Please feel free to add to the list of things to bring and leave for track day. These are just suggestions and not all items are required:

Bring to the track:

Helmet
Gloves
Torque wrench with wheel lug socket
Key for wheel locks (if so equipped)
Extra gas
Tire pressure guage
Sunscreen
Long sleeve shirt
Basic hand tools
Water/drinks and snacks
Two-way radios (for the trip to the track)
Wheel chock
Camp chair
Umbrella
Camera
Extra cash

Leave home:

Ego
Bad mojo
Stress
Junk from the glove box, centre console, trunk.

Styrofoam04
10-12-2016, 04:27 PM
So my Lug nuts never came in they are on back order.. SO looks like I have to use the spark plug socket again

RedSN
10-12-2016, 05:03 PM
Sparkplug socket works. PA also sells thin-walled chro-mo impact sockets.

RedSN
10-12-2016, 05:21 PM
*edit: maybe it wasn't PA
anyway...these ones vvv
https://www.amazon.ca/Performance-Tool-W32902-5-piece-Imperial/dp/B00AMEJF5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476307229&sr=8-1&keywords=thin+wall+socket