PDA

View Full Version : At my wits end! Lol

1tuffsvt
06-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Ok so last year at the end of the season my car started making a noise....sounded like it was time for a new belt and my idler pulleys were pretty much worn down....so I decided to change my pulleys first.....after I changed them start the car up noise is still there....so that's fine ....get a new belt put it in noise is gone....beautiful....put the car away for the season....this year take the car out no problems no noises .....1month later the noise starts coming back....it's driving me nuts....when the car is cold the noise is loud....after about 5 mins if driving it goes away....the noise gets louder as I give it gas ....then quiets down when I take my foot off the gas ....could it be that I need a new belt again? Maybe bearings in my pulleys? Maybe my belt tensioner? Does my boost have anything to do with it? Anyone have this kind of thing happen to them?

Old Fart
06-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Perhaps it would help if you can indicate what kind of noise...scrape, tick, squeal, rubbing?

Nsty04SVT
06-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Did you replace pulleys with OEM or aftermarket? I swapped one out last year (04 Cobra) that blew apart on me with a unit from Thump Racing (Billet Aluminum) and it was extremely noisy (squeaking). It's a beautiful piece but it drove me nuts so replaced with OEM and zero noise. The Thump unit is now an expensive pencil holder :frown-new:

Picture below is of the failed OEM and the Thumper:

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1027&d=1401722458
http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1028&d=1401722654

ZR
06-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Seeing it happen often on Cobra's running alum idler pulleys. Odd part, doesn't happen to every one. At one time my jobber had a line of belts that looked like a weave on the backside vs the more common smooth, virtually never squealed. Sux they are no longer available.

1tuffsvt
06-02-2014, 12:27 PM
at first it sounded like a rubbing noise....it sounds exactly like a belt noise...but now that you guys mention it, it could also be the pulleys.....where would i be able to get a set of oem pulleys?

MUSTANGWOP
06-02-2014, 01:19 PM
What about a worn out tensioner?

Nsty04SVT
06-02-2014, 01:27 PM
I bought the Idler Pulley through Napa at the time as I was in a bit of a jam...Ford Part #F65E-19A216-AA (best to check this is for an 04 Cobra)

Best to check as mentioned above could be other things as well...pull the belt off and see if you have any play in your accessories.

1tuffsvt
06-02-2014, 01:38 PM
What about a worn out tensioner?

This crossed my mind as well

MUSTANGWOP
06-03-2014, 09:54 AM
^^^^ My 02 GT was making that squeeling/bad bearing sound, it was a combination of a worn/stretched belt and worn out tensioner.

Tailites
06-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Did you replace pulleys with OEM or aftermarket? I swapped one out last year (04 Cobra) that blew apart on me with a unit from Thump Racing (Billet Aluminum) and it was extremely noisy (squeaking). It's a beautiful piece but it drove me nuts so replaced with OEM and zero noise. The Thump unit is now an expensive pencil holder :frown-new:

Picture below is of the failed OEM and the Thumper:

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1027&d=1401722458
http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1028&d=1401722654

china perhaps?

1tuffsvt
06-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Okie dokie! .bad news is I changed the tensioner and the noise is still there...so I've changed all the idler pulleys and tensioner in the front....now I look at the belt and pulleys behind the serpentine belt and their all pretty worn down....and it seems like the noise is coming from one of those idler pulleys....so my question is how hard is it to change those pulleys and belt? It looks like theres a couple screws but is there anything else i need to know? Im pretty confident i can change them

ZR
06-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Pull the blower belt back off and fire up. Water bottle in hand, pour a lil on the belt n see if the noise disappears. If so, belt, if not, pulley or bearing. Bridge in front must be removed to replace. Pay special attention to where the odd ball bolts go.

Nsty04SVT
06-10-2014, 05:50 AM
I always cringe looking at that inner belt looks a little tricky to get at...good luck and keep us posted!

ZR
06-10-2014, 07:22 AM
It's not as bad as it looks, just a bunch of stuff to get out of the way. Upside, on the factory pulleys, bearings can be replaced.

Nsty04SVT
06-10-2014, 07:27 AM
Mine has turned 90000k's recently expect I'll be in there at some point...glad it's not as tough as it looks! Will be in touch soon Rick heading home today...quick parts check and message will be enroute!

ZR
06-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Cool, safe trip.