PDA

View Full Version : Need a good job? : Drive a GO Train

Speedtospare
06-03-2014, 09:53 AM
This is a great job for people starting out and will lead to a great paying job. Basically you will start just a a CSR (person who opens door on the trains) for a minimum of 6 months. Them make $21 an hour while in training for a month, then almost 24 once training is complete. If your a good employee they will move you to the head end of the train. There are 2 people in the head end (conductor and engineer) You will be trained to talk on the radio to people like me (Rule 42 Foreman) I control the train in and out of a location where there working on the tracks. The engineer makes about $32 an hour. After 2 years or talking on the radio and getting certified to drive the train (all training included) you will make $45 an hour. This is all base salary and pension/benefits are on top of this wage. In about 2.5 years you could be making 100K a year plus benefits. This is a seniority based job so the earlier you get in the better.

Bombardier needs to hire 110 people to my understanding. Up to 40 have been hired already, myself included.

http://jobs.bombardier.com/job/Downtown-Customer-Service-Ambassador-Train-Operator-GO-ON/38217300/

If anyone gets a call for the interview and testing let me know and I will advise you on what you can expect to be asked and things you should know for the test.

Laffs
06-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Wow sounds like a good gig for peeps up that way.

99chromegt
06-03-2014, 10:42 AM
My father is a railroad nut. He has one of if not the largest train order collection in Ontario if not Canada. Lots of old TH&B stuff. I grew up being dragged to train stations across Canada on family vacations so he could collect train orders and get to know Operators so they could send him orders and time tables. All of those items must be a thing of the past and no longer used. He has the wooden hoops with long handles that the station operator would attach the order to so that the engineer passing by could slow the train down and grab his orders. He would chase trains with a scanner and take countless pictures. I got to operate several yard switchers when I was a kid. My father also is an HO scale model railroader. I'm tell you he is crazy about trains. I don't know why he never got a job with a railroad.

Intmdtr
06-03-2014, 11:04 AM
My father is a railroad nut. He has one of if not the largest train order collection in Ontario if not Canada. Lots of old TH&B stuff. I grew up being dragged to train stations across Canada on family vacations so he could collect train orders and get to know Operators so they could send him orders and time tables. All of those items must be a thing of the past and no longer used. He has the wooden hoops with long handles that the station operator would attach the order to so that the engineer passing by could slow the train down and grab his orders. He would chase trains with a scanner and take countless pictures. I got to operate several yard switchers when I was a kid. My father also is an HO scale model railroader. I'm tell you he is crazy about trains. I don't know why he never got a job with a railroad.

Probably for the same reason most car guys are not mechanics....if you did it all day, 5/6 days a week the hobby wouldn't be fun anymore.

Wildfire
12-03-2015, 10:39 AM
This is a great job for people starting out and will lead to a great paying job. Basically you will start just a a CSR (person who opens door on the trains) for a minimum of 6 months. Them make $21 an hour while in training for a month, then almost 24 once training is complete. If your a good employee they will move you to the head end of the train. There are 2 people in the head end (conductor and engineer) You will be trained to talk on the radio to people like me (Rule 42 Foreman) I control the train in and out of a location where there working on the tracks. The engineer makes about $32 an hour. After 2 years or talking on the radio and getting certified to drive the train (all training included) you will make $45 an hour. This is all base salary and pension/benefits are on top of this wage. In about 2.5 years you could be making 100K a year plus benefits. This is a seniority based job so the earlier you get in the better.

Bombardier needs to hire 110 people to my understanding. Up to 40 have been hired already, myself included.

http://jobs.bombardier.com/job/Downtown-Customer-Service-Ambassador-Train-Operator-GO-ON/38217300/

If anyone gets a call for the interview and testing let me know and I will advise you on what you can expect to be asked and things you should know for the test.

"Hello Ryan, I have applied for this job at Bombardier (Customer Service Ambassador/Commuter Train Operator-GO). How long do I need to wait before I get my 1st call & if I don't qualify, will they email me. Thanks. "

IanGTCS
12-03-2015, 06:21 PM

Sounds like my father in law. Maybe not quite as bad but the amount of train crap he has is filling their basement. Fancies himself a N scale model railroader but hasn't built anything in a long time. Great thing is it makes him easy to buy for, I've become the guy who just buys him a train book or two for birthdays and christmases.

Princessk
08-23-2016, 06:28 AM
Hello Ryan, can you tell me what location you work out of and was it split shifts when you started??

baddbullitt
08-23-2016, 07:37 AM
Dayem, where was I sleeping 2 years ago when this tread first started??? LOL

SuzieQ
01-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Hi guys, I hope this tread is still valid.

I just had my telephone interview for GO Train and I got invited to the info session. I need help preparing for the next steps. Is there anyone who can guide me?

ALEOP12
05-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Hi guys, I hope this tread is still valid.

I just had my telephone interview for GO Train and I got invited to the info session. I need help preparing for the next steps. Is there anyone who can guide me?

How did the interview and steps go? How is the schedule so far? I am just starting too.

Misser Chin
05-22-2017, 05:28 PM
I too has done a telephone interview and is invited to the information session this week, May 25, 2017.... I would like to know what to expect..... Thanks.....

Train99
04-25-2018, 09:54 PM
Test

Train99
04-25-2018, 09:57 PM
Hello

Train99
04-25-2018, 10:00 PM
Train99 said:Today 08:54 PM

Hello sir....can you give some info about..what is the job process for train operator after apply online?

Speedtospare
08-14-2018, 11:42 PM
Just wait for the call basically.

Oliver47
11-29-2018, 06:12 AM
Yes, it's quite challenging to find a good job. If it were easy to find a job, there would be no job sites like toronto.companies-in-canada.com (https://toronto.companies-in-canada.com) . You should get out of your comfort zone to land your dream job