PDA

View Full Version : Foxbody Clutch

Frankie
06-04-2014, 10:12 PM
As some of you may know, I have been fighting a vibration issue since last year when I did a clutch replacement on my 89 Fox because of a noisy TOB.
The engine was never perfectly smooth so I wasn't sure where the issue was coming from.
I installed the CJ Pony Parts Supreme clutch kit:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-pony-parts-supreme-clutch-kit-t-5-5-0l-1979-1993/p/CKS1/

This year I swapped the MAF, injectors and resealed the lower intake.
The car still had the vibration so I figured it had to be a clutch problem.

So after 3000kms of driving, I was forced to pull the clutch again.
After pulling the CJ clutch and spinning it on the input shaft of the trans you could see the outside edge moving up and down but approx. 0.080"
On the pressure plate side, you could see that the clutch was riding off center by about 0.040"
Additionally, you can see that the clutch was only wearing around the outside edge (the pressure plate is "dished" slightly).
All this added up to cause a weird vibration around 1500-2500 rpm that would then go away and come back around 4000rpm.

So, my next thought was "CJ will stand behind their product, i'll give them a chance to make it right".
Here is their response:

Hello,
Your order was quite long ago, and there is no way to tell if it was made wrong or what caused the issue with the clutch. Because of the length of time, number of miles on the car, and the fact we do not offer any sort of warranty with a clutch, all I can do is sell you a new clutch at the current price.
Thank you,
Tom Peterson

So in their mind, 16 months is a long time for a collector car that spent 11 of those months sitting in the garage.
And 2000 miles is a lot for a clutch?

At this point, I bought a ford racing clutch kit:
http://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/fms-m-7560-a302n/overview/

After installation of this kit, all the vibration is gone along with the engagement chatter I was previously experiencing.

Now I have the cable, quadrant, flywheel and clutch, all Ford Racing and it drives like a new car.

Here are some photos to compare the 2 clutches to each other (Ford Racing on the left in all the images:

Pressure plate from the front. Notice how beefy the FR cover looks.

Pressure plate from the back.

Clutch disk from the front. Notice the size of the central hub on the FR piece.

Clutch disk from the back. Notice the larger springs and lack of voids between the central hub and the friction surface.

Some comparisons of the specs;
Clutch disk overall diameter: FR - 10.5", CJ - 10.25"
Friction surface width: FR - 2", CJ - 1.75"

All this adds up to a clutch that bites harder and (hopefully) lasts longer.

Nsty04SVT
06-05-2014, 10:12 AM
It's crappy CJ wouldn't fix you up :thumbsdown: bright side is you now have a quality piece that should last! Big difference between the 2!

RedSN
06-05-2014, 01:51 PM
CJ sure uses the word "style" liberally.
King Cobra style clutch
Stock style flywheel

I'm surprised Ford hasn't come down on them like a ton of bricks for using "King Cobra" in their description.

This happens to be our King Cobra Style Clutch kit that we sell. We have a company that makes these and are the closest thing you will get to a King Cobra kit since Ford Racing doesn't make them anymore. Hence the Style in the title and the CJ Pony Parts logo in the bottom of the Product Description.
http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?144087-Anyone-use-this-clutch

Thanks for the write up and review.

99chromegt
06-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Very good comparison. Thanks for taking the time to show us that. So are you entering the burnout contest at Carlisle? Good way to break in the new clutch :)

Blackmare
06-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Great review. Thanks Frankie.

Frankie
06-05-2014, 06:43 PM
While they do use the word "style" liberally, they did include a Ford Racing flywheel as part of the kit.
I hope someone finds this useful and doesn't make the same mistake as me.

No burn out contest......spent all my rubber money on a new clutch!

crazy 88
06-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Like i said before cj pony sucks and should go out of biz bunch of ass holes i will never buy a thing from them again
Glad you got it all worked out

ZR
06-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Enough problems with first line products let alone cheap copies.
Good on you for getting if fixed up.

Tailites
11-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Im not a fan of CJ Pony...

ordered an overpriced throttle cable from them...for a Fox

it wouldnt fit even if you modified it...

they gave me a refund when I sent it back...but how bout you get it right to begin with

Jeff at Mustang Specialteaze yanked one off a wreck...works & fits great

factory original used