PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions...

SteveEH
06-06-2014, 09:58 AM
So I got a few questions about my car.

First one would be the exhaust, when I changed to my Bullitt mufflers, I had to remove the hangers just to be able to slip the pipe off, just want to know if this is normal since what I have read they just seem to pop the pipe off and slide the mufflers back and off.

Second question would be, has anyone changed the ball joints in a 2005 Mustang? It seems like I have one gone, and one going so I am going to replace both. Dealer told me that the ball joint and arm are one piece, and are a pain to replace. Pretty sure I will be going with OEM since aftermarket cannot compare and I get a discount at my local dealer.

Ghost Rider
06-06-2014, 10:12 AM
spray the hangers with some WD40, will help slide them in and out easier...some exhaust just hang tighter than others...

no sure on the ball joints, someone will know though, hang tight :)

SteveEH
06-06-2014, 01:06 PM
The hangers came off easy, since last person used anti seize, but I just thought the mufflers would slide off.

ZR
06-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Yes, requires hanger removal on the 197.
Update your lower arms to the Shelby spec units.

Ray721
06-06-2014, 03:24 PM
It'll only cost a couple extra bucks but get GT500 lower arms. Well worth it. Tons of guys ,even lowered have had great reviews with them.

SteveEH
06-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Anybody have a link or part number to the Shelby lower ones?

Ray721
06-06-2014, 05:44 PM
I know it's evil American Muscle but here's a link that best describes them.

http://m.americanmuscle.com/productdetails?entryid=49023

SteveEH
06-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Damn, wish I would of saw this before. I went to the dealer and got quote for some, they wanted $380 a side, but I got them at dealer cost which was $260, and my Uncle already paid for them.

Ponyryd
06-06-2014, 08:01 PM
A bit late now, but why in the world would you prefer an OEM arm/ball joint assy? They're junk, good for what, 60k? Get a good aftermarket unit and be done. Also, swapping the arms is super easy, not sure what your dealer is smoking.
The GT500 arms are a good choice.
BTW, your can get a joint aftermarket for the arms......

Slope
06-06-2014, 08:33 PM

MOOG Part # K500033
RAYBESTOS Part # 5051322
ACDELCO Part # 45D2322

SteveEH
06-06-2014, 11:11 PM
A bit late now, but why in the world would you prefer an OEM arm/ball joint assy? They're junk, good for what, 60k? Get a good aftermarket unit and be done. Also, swapping the arms is super easy, not sure what your dealer is smoking.
The GT500 arms are a good choice.

I heard the OEM were better then the aftermarket, according to multiple people. I usually alway say aftermarket is best, but I wasn't sure on the ball joints/control arms since they come as one piece.
My Uncle and I will be swapping them in out driveway, so I guess that is why they said it would be a pain.
I also heard you couldn't just change the ball joint, good to know, thanks.

ZR
06-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Problem solver joint from MOOG = quality part that will go the distance.

Ponyryd
06-07-2014, 12:31 AM
I heard the OEM were better then the aftermarket, according to multiple people. I usually alway say aftermarket is best, but I wasn't sure on the ball joints/control arms since they come as one piece.
My Uncle and I will be swapping them in out driveway, so I guess that is why they said it would be a pain.
I also heard you couldn't just change the ball joint, good to know, thanks.

OEM are not bett than aftermarket unless you're talking about Japanese cars, its easy enough to see how weak the stock units are on Mustang, not to mention most Fords.
The arms are easy to change, with any kind of mechanical ability you should have no problem doing it on your back.

SteveEH
06-07-2014, 01:29 AM
OEM are not bett than aftermarket unless you're talking about Japanese cars, its easy enough to see how weak the stock units are on Mustang, not to mention most Fords.
The arms are easy to change, with any kind of mechanical ability you should have no problem doing it on your back.

I don't know where I heard it, other then the dealer. Next time it will be aftermarket. My Uncle and I should be able to bang it off in a few hours.

bluetoy
06-07-2014, 07:49 AM
You don't have to take the hangars off if you loosen the pipes at the band clamps after the cats. After struggling many times trying to get my hands in there to take the hangar off I simply loosened the clamps at the front and the pipes slip out and you can get the mufflers off. Much easier.

Slope
06-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Problem solver joint from MOOG = quality part that will go the distance.

I keep MOOG Fox stuff on hand. Value for the money.

SteveEH
06-07-2014, 12:47 PM
You don't have to take the hangars off if you loosen the pipes at the band clamps after the cats. After struggling many times trying to get my hands in there to take the hangar off I simply loosened the clamps at the front and the pipes slip out and you can get the mufflers off. Much easier.

Good to know, thanks for the info. I had to take the hangers off on both my old V6 and my new GT, and I thought the mufflers would just slide off instead of taken the hangers out, so that is why I asked in the first place.