PDA

View Full Version : 86 GT won't start... link to video posted

86 t-tops
06-08-2014, 02:51 PM
It was suggested that I post on this forum, any help is appreciated.

Was driving my 86 GT last weekend when I a strange noise started and a burning rubber smell started. Lost all power and coasted into my driveway.

Battery is good, belt is fine, all accessories spin... car now makes a strange buzzing sound that seems to be coming from the top end of the motor when I try to start it.

Link to video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMe9RdZ_1A8&feature=youtu.be

thanks

Screw
06-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Resident fox expert gonna chime in ?

ZR
06-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Does it make that noise when you turn the key to the first position or twist to start?

Slope
06-08-2014, 04:38 PM
Will the car crank? If so, how does it behave?

I hear the fuel rushing through the rails, so the ECM and the fuel pump are at least getting powered up.

ZR
06-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Check the fusible links at the solenoid.
Check ground at engine + body ground.

Slope
06-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Check the fusible links at the solenoid.
Check ground at engine + body ground.

It DOES sound like the starter solenoid or one of the emissions solenoids having a hissy fit, due to poor circuit integrity or an internal failure...

86 t-tops
06-08-2014, 05:02 PM
only makes the noise when I twist to start the engine... car won't crank, just makes that noise and yes EMC and fuel pump are powering up. Ran codes on the car and all good.

Sound seems to be coming from the back of the upper intake...

Slope
06-08-2014, 05:05 PM
If you put the car in Neutral with the parking brake on, what happens if you jump the two poles on the starter solenoid?

ZR
06-08-2014, 05:39 PM
If no change, put a booster cable on the neg of the battery, other end to a clean bolt on the engine, try again.

86 t-tops
06-08-2014, 06:05 PM
I'll try and let you guys know...

thanks

86 t-tops
06-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Jumped from the positive pole to the small pole on the starter solenoid, same noise. Disconnected the negative battery cable and used a jumper cable from the negative post to a clean bolt, same noise... car is not cranking over, just the same buzzing as in the video.

I'm wondering if the starter didn't disengage the last time I drove it and burnt out while I drove home, hence the burnt smell when this happened, it's now making the noise whenever I try to start the car... would that make the car die while I was driving?

I still swear that the buzzing sound is coming from the top of the engine though...

86 t-tops
06-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Oh... just get sparks if I jump the positive and negative terminal on the starter solenoid (two large posts on it), but shouldn't that happen?

Slope
06-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Oh... just get sparks if I jump the positive and negative terminal on the starter solenoid (two large posts on it), but shouldn't that happen?

Both of the LARGE poles on the starter solenoid are Positive.

When you jump these, the starter should engage. It will take some pressure to make a good contact between the two posts using a wrench or similar tool.

86 t-tops
06-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Ok, had never done this before so I didn't hold the screwdriver in place for long enough with enough pressure...

Same noise occurs when jumping both large poles on starter solenoid.

Any ideas? Solenoid on the starter fried? I'm going to try and get the car up in the air and test it again to see if the noise is just vibrating up from the starter...

Intmdtr
06-08-2014, 09:51 PM
That sounds like a starter solenoid. You probably burnt out the brushes in it. Swap out for a different starter and try again. I have had them burn out and it does smell like something is burning.

Slope
06-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Ok, had never done this before so I didn't hold the screwdriver in place for long enough with enough pressure...

Now you know.

Same noise occurs when jumping both large poles on starter solenoid.

Any ideas? Solenoid on the starter fried? I'm going to try and get the car up in the air and test it again to see if the noise is just vibrating up from the starter...

Just be sure that your battery+solenoid+ground connections are clean and tight. Also, that the battery is good and strong.

If you can get the car up enough to investigate the starter, I would be interested to see what you discover.

twister
06-08-2014, 10:31 PM
im no mechaic by any mean...lols my 2cents starter solenoid stuck on the ring gear maybe ?

86 t-tops
06-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Car is up on ramps... Buddy coming over to short the starter solenoid while I check out the starter.

Was talking to a speed shop I use and they recommended a mini starter from DB Electronics. The admitted that they come from china but they're affordable and have used them for years with great success. Anyone ever used one?

ZR
06-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Stock rebuilt starter is more than up to the task. I'd pull the starter to inspect / bench test. If it turns out it was engaged with the ring gear, when an unexplained occurrence like that happens, always suggest you replace the solenoid at the same time. Do not be tempted to buy anything other than an OEM Ford only.

86 t-tops
06-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Certain it's the starter... vibration/noise obviously coming from it when I was under the car. Thanks for all the help and suggestions on this one. Hope to remove it today and have it bench tested but I'm thinking it's dead.

The reason I was looking at a mini starter is that I'm building a motor, with lots of help from friends, and will be running long tube headers... I believe I need a mini starter to provide extra clearance in this case. I'd simply use the mini on my stock motor while I build the new motor...

Thanks again for the help.

Screw
06-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Hopefully you found the help u needed here :beerdrink1:

ZR
06-10-2014, 10:47 AM
That makes the mini starter a good choice.

86 t-tops
06-10-2014, 02:49 PM
I sure did F150, very helpful group here.

Lower k-member brace off so I can get at the starter.... lower starter bolt off... spent an hour trying to get at the upper starter bolt... no luck... from what I can tell I'm on the right track just need a little luck... using extensions and swivel joint to get at it...

Any one have any tricks to get at the upper starter bolt?

Thanks

ZR
06-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Shorty box end or pull rf tire and go through the K member.

RedSN
06-10-2014, 03:43 PM
^^^thru the k-member. :thumbsup:

have also had success with lots of long extensions an a swivel joint, and crank the ratchet all the way at the front of the engine!
With this method, I usually replace the starter bolt with cap screw. I find it easier to manage than a bolt with a hex head.

86 t-tops
06-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Starter is out... Teeth are chewed on the starter gear and its definitely the source of the burning smell...

86 t-tops
06-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Here's a question for the forum... sorry for my lack of understanding...

So the starter most likely stayed engaged the last time I drove my car. Given it’s not designed to run at the increased RPMs experienced during acceleration it burnt out and seized causing the gear to be chewed off by the fly wheel. I’m assuming it seized given the gear is almost non-existent.

Question, why did my car stop running?

I was thinking that there could have been a load on the motor while the flywheel chewed through the starter gear and possibly caused it to stall, yes? But it must have been running while it did this and with the starter gear all but gone at one point why wouldn’t it just continue to run once relieved of the load?

Just wondering….

I’m ordering a new starter today, along with starter solenoid, and hope to be back on the road shortly.

Old Fart
06-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Check you flywheel also. Car could have stopped running due to a bind in the gear.

ZR
06-11-2014, 05:26 PM
If the ring gear is ok, new starter + OEM Ford solenoid (or mini starter conversion) and give it a try. Excellent chance the starter finally jammed up and at low rpm stopped the engine dead in it's tracks.

Slope
06-11-2014, 06:10 PM
mini starter conversion

Like.

86 t-tops
06-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Ordered the mini starter. It comes with some additional wiring which I believe is the conversion kit. Conversion kit being that you wire the power and ignition wire directly to the solenoid on the starter instaed of the using the fender mount solenoid...

Screw
06-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Cool , put up some pics of your 4eyed when u got er going

Slope
06-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Ordered the mini starter. It comes with some additional wiring which I believe is the conversion kit. Conversion kit being that you wire the power and ignition wire directly to the solenoid on the starter instaed of the using the fender mount solenoid...

Simpler + proven to use the OEM Ford/Ford Motorsports method.

Move the heavy cable going down to the starter at the fender solenoid from post to post
Run a 12ga wire from the switched side of the fender solenoid down the the starter
Done

No cutting or splicing of any wires.

86 t-tops
06-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Simpler + proven to use the OEM Ford/Ford Motorsports method.

Move the heavy cable going down to the starter at the fender solenoid from post to post
Run a 12ga wire from the switched side of the fender solenoid down the the starter
Done

No cutting or splicing of any wires.

Sorry slope, I don't follow the first part of your instructions...

I ordered a new fender solenoid based on advice provided.... Thanks again.

Slope
06-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Sorry slope, I don't follow the first part of your instructions...

When you look at the fender solenoid, there will the two posts.

One will have the big cable that comes over from the + side of the battery as well a few other smaller gauge wires.

The second post will only have ONE large gauge wire. This goes down to the starter. Move this wire over to the opposite starter solenoid post.

You should now have one posts on the starter solenoid that has NO wires. This is where you will run the 12ga wire down to the solenoid on the new mini starter. Do not use a smaller gauge than 12, but 12 works sufficiently.

86 t-tops
06-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Got it. Thanks

86 t-tops
06-27-2014, 10:56 PM
Just a quick update... New starter is in and I'm back on the road.... Thanks form all the input TMC!

ZR
06-27-2014, 11:56 PM
Nicely done.

svo1990mustang
06-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Internet forums can be a wonderful thing sometimes