PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Noise At Idle???

99chromegt
06-12-2014, 06:09 AM
I was hearing a rattle at idle which would disappear once the cultch pedal was pressed in. I installed a new CF TOB and assumed the annoying rattle would be fixed. The new TOB did help to a degree however there is still a noticeable rattle. I have a Steeda adjustable cultch cable and tried playing with that but the rattle is still present. I did notice a considerable amount of play in the clutch fork. I'm wondering if a new clutch fork might be the next step? The Lucas Stage 1 clutch and factory fly wheel are in great shape and I believe the alinement was correct. I have it apart again and would like to try to solve the annoying rattle issue this time around. Any ideas?

ZR
06-12-2014, 06:52 AM
I'd bolt the flywheel and clutch on your short block and rotate to ensure it's spinning true. Also, odd time a clutch rattle is blamed for a noise n the trans itself, especially if the engine is not smooth at idle or cammed. Amsoil Syncromesh or similar goes a long way towards keeping trans chatter like that to a minimum.

Intmdtr
06-12-2014, 06:57 AM
you may be experiencing the same thing i am. Sometimes i get a vibration through the clutch pedal, it has something to do with the triple adjustment i have in the clutch cable system. I am going to install a spring over the cable down at the clutch fork, that should help take the last bit of slack out of the cable and fork.

99chromegt
06-12-2014, 07:41 AM
I am using the Amsoil Syncromesh. I'll check the rotation. The same noise was happening with my T45. Same spec clutch and identical adjustable clutch cable. Never had this noise before the cultch cable install now that I think of it. I like the spring idea. I'll try that too. Thanks.

Intmdtr
06-12-2014, 07:54 AM
there is a right up in the land of the interweb that explains in detail how to install the spring. it helps reduce the pedal jump too.

RedSN
06-12-2014, 08:39 AM
is it the quadrant making the rattle?
I have the Steeda aluminum quadrant and the fitment was terribly loose. I cut up the old OEM plastic quadrant to make spacers, took some rolled up aluminum from a pop can to make a bushing, and added a rubber coated washer to quiet all the rattling.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt137/LX-Markham/clutchquadrant-1-2.jpg

RedSN
06-12-2014, 08:42 AM
I am going to install a spring over the cable down at the clutch fork, that should help take the last bit of slack out of the cable and fork.
did this too

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt137/LX-Markham/spring.jpg

ZR
06-12-2014, 08:45 AM
At the quadrant, short piece of fuel hose or similar tames the rattle as well.
Nice job on the lower spring Don.

99chromegt
06-12-2014, 08:53 AM
The noise seems to be originating from out side of the cabin not around the quadrant. However I will examine all the areas in question. Nice mods guys. Thanks for the help. I can't stand that extra little rattle.