PDA

View Full Version : Dyno tuning vs remote tuning

Uncle Buck
07-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Hi

Just wondering what opinions are out there on this subject.

Dyno tuning or remote tuning with proper data logging and a wideband feed.

I know there are pros and cons to both but on balance which is better for good drivability while still making good power.

ZR
07-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Since I've had zero issues with turning by either Matt D or Diago, would not consider anyone else or any other method. Current tune in the Cobra, better than stock driveability and makes good squeeze on both the street and lapping day versions.

Laffs
07-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Datalogging and sending off for email updates takes longer, and flogging on your not yet fully tuned car could be hazardous if you don't have the right monitors in place. Unless your setup is wierd or unique and requires tuning you dont think a local tuner could handle, I'd be inclined to take it somewhere and have them handle it in a dyno tuning session.

OneQwkStang
07-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Dyno tuned here by Pat at Steeda.ca. Driveability, fuel economy and power all better than stock. The car performs as it should and I have had zero issues for a few years. I don't know too many people who have issues with a dyno tune from a reliable professional tuner. You hear more issues from guys who use remote tunes...if I had to use a remote tune it would be only by Lund Racing.
Every car is different, and every car is located in a different climate. You will never know if your remote tune is making its peak rwhp because you have nothing to measure it but butt power. Put it on a dyno, let the tuner tweak it so it makes its max safest horsepower and go play.

NickD
07-09-2014, 10:50 PM
I am running a Bama (American muscle tune now.
I think it depends on what is done to the car. I have basic bolt ons intake headers under drive pulleys.
Of basic stuff like that I think that remote tunes can work well. I put down 308/320 at desilvas dyno (they seemed surprised) I know some remote tunes like Bama Lund and Lito have good track records.
If I was supercharged or looking for the max power output I would say dyno for sure.
For your DoB package knowing that we have such strong well respected tuners like Matt and Pat. I would do a dyno tune with one of them. Only time I would maybe not is if I was running a turbo and in that case I would go with Lito and data log.

Uncle Buck
07-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the insights. We are very fortunate to have fantastic tuners in the GTA and I've always seen good results bar none. I've done some reading here and there and it seems the mustang world is in agreement that canned email tunes are usually mediocre at best and sometimes poor. I experienced this too. Proper remote tunes supported by full data logging do have much support and the reasons I've read stem from the ability to see the car in broader conditions than a dyno can emulate in a single session. Cold start is a good example. However, squeezing your car before completely tuned is a spooky proposition and remote tuners won't necessarily have the local climate and elevation experience.

On the other hand if your car is on a dyno and something isn't right with the build, the tuner will abort the session before any harm is done and will likely be able to diagnose the build issue before tuning resumes. I've seen this too. For me, this is the deciding factor that sways me more towards dyno tuning being the better option.

Anyway it's an interesting topic to read about. I'm glad we have both options to us in the GTA since so many don't have local access to a top notch dyno tuner.

I'm quite happy to let the black magic happen on the rollers while I drink coffee.

toofast306
07-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Does any local tuner use EGT probes when tuning?
I've tuned my car as best I can with a wideband and data logs on the track, but tuning ignition tables would be more productive and more safe on the rollers.
I'd like to find a tuner who can give me the extra power in a controlled environment.

WHRDUGO
07-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Just to clear up a few things. Your cars pcm reads both density and climate changes. A maf actually weights the air across the wire and in some cases even inlet temp but most use a separate iat sensor for temps.

A remote tuner can see everything a dyno tuner sees but in a real world situations.

I can say for time frames and remote tunes that I have had 24 emails back and forth, 8 revisions to correct issues after mechanical correction. all in the span of 48 hrs. I get emails from 8 am till 930 pm. Fixed drivability issues, turbulant maf air and has bent over backwards to get the job done correctly.

B-blown
07-11-2014, 11:53 AM
depending on the standalone if that what you are using I have a guy that reads my datalogs and changes my tune accordingly via email I sent one last week at 9:30pm and had it back by 11pm same night but this is for Ms2 and Ms3 is no different as he builds and sells them both for our 2.3t community

b1lk1
07-11-2014, 12:19 PM
I'm getting ready to drop a stock engine in my car and I'm gonna go with MegaSquirt 2, the complete system they sell. Figured I can learn how to tune it this way and when I drop in the engine I am building this summer I will be able to tune for it.

I would expect a dyno tune to be damn near spot on whereas a mail order obviously needs more data to get it right.

toofast306
07-11-2014, 01:13 PM
^^^ PiMP it.
My only complaint is their recommended ignition tuning procedure: advance it, drag it. Did it explode? If not, repeat until advanced timing doesn't increase trap speed. This is why I want to do the final tweaks on a dyno with EGTs - waaayy safer and more productive than racing & praying.

B-blown
07-11-2014, 03:02 PM
^^^ PiMP it.
My only complaint is their recommended ignition tuning procedure: advance it, drag it. Did it explode? If not, repeat until advanced timing doesn't increase trap speed. This is why I want to do the final tweaks on a dyno with EGTs - waaayy safer and more productive than racing & praying.

*racing & praying* is all I know....... altho........lately its been more of a prayer than anything LOL