PDA

View Full Version : CarboTech brake pads.

ZR
07-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Running Brembo's on the front, stock Cobra rears. After going back and forth with Mike in tech, went with CT's #24 on the front and #10 on the rear, not fully bedded yet, braking is night and day above the former EBC yellow track pads. Are they suitable for normal street driving, well they are dirty as hell n squeal but they do bite hard, make that extremely hard. Interested to see how they stack up at Mosport.
Impressed with their tech line and level of customer support, refreshing in this day and age.
More details to come.\

PS, yes they do offer street pads.

tulowd
07-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Heard lots of guys in American Iron run Carbotech X10's with great results vs the usual suspects.
I would imagine style of driving, weight, tire friction, brake assist and horsepower all play a big part in the "ideal" pad selection.

Personally, dust doesn't bother me, but squeaking brakes on the street, especially a vert would make me park it. Also, super soft/OEM type pads are best for initial bite on the street in panic stops, in my opinion.

ZR
07-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Oddly enough, cold street manners / bite is good to very good, try it one stop later, jumps to excellent. No idea how they've made the pad so versatile. He's the only vendor I contacted that suggested a staggered pad kinda deal. Said he would not have suggested the 24 fronts if I wasn't on R comps.

tulowd
07-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Oddly enough, cold street manners / bite is good to very good, try it one stop later, jumps to excellent. No idea how they've made the pad so versatile. He's the only vendor I contacted that suggested a staggered pad kinda deal. Said he would not have suggested the 24 fronts if I wasn't on R comps.

Have you ever scaled your car and set the corner weights? Would imagine that would be worth doing at the performance envelope you are in now.... 150% of Fox Vert, lol

ZR
07-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Fact of the matter, it's a pig with a very heavy nose that will never have the turn in / corner bite of lighter ride but the fucker puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Plan was to see Bob earlier in the week n adjust much more aggressive n see how it reacts, timing didn't play out in my favour. Small version oil cooler on, factory oil heater deleted, new brakes on. Longer term idea, reduce height of the bumper rebar by approx 75-80% equal to the length of the intercooler and mount a larger-longer engine oil cooler above it with ducting. Then use current engine oil cooler as the power steering / hydro boost cooler.
Feel confident current cooler will be an improvement but doubt it's going to be the end fix.
Work in progress.

RedSN
07-12-2014, 08:39 PM
So Mosport is back on?

ZR
07-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Bit of a roller coaster kinda week but the light is now green.

ZR
07-15-2014, 07:31 AM
CarboTech, FTW.
While the car sounds like a freakin train coming to a stop, they performed flawlessly all day. Pedal is rock solid and stayed that way in spite of repeated high speed (one from 260kph) pull downs. Would I use pads this aggressive on the street nope, but they do offer pads well suited for dual purpose as well.
Came away totally impressed with the product itself and their above and beyond before and after sales support.
Thanks Carbotech.

Intmdtr
07-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Would you recommend using these pads with a stock rotor or ?

ZR
07-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Absolutely yes.
Tech peeps were awesome, took their suggestion and ran with it, would suggested others do the same.