PDA

View Full Version : Need help!! 98 Windstar rough idle.

True Blue
07-14-2014, 09:20 PM
My dad (original owner) has a 98 Windstar 3.8L with 95K on it. He's having issues with a rough idle and it stumbles when coming to a stop to the point where it wants to stall but actually doesn't. No issues with acceleration or cruising, runs perfectly fine!! I know some of you guys have or had Windstars, just wondering if any have experienced the same problem? No check engine light, I've hooked up my scanner nothing comes up. Any help would be great!!

B-blown
07-15-2014, 09:20 AM
My dad (original owner) has a 98 Windstar 3.8L with 95K on it. He's having issues with a rough idle and it stumbles when coming to a stop to the point where it wants to stall but actually doesn't. No issues with acceleration or cruising, runs perfectly fine!! I know some of you guys have or had Windstars, just wondering if any have experienced the same problem? No check engine light, I've hooked up my scanner nothing comes up. Any help would be great!!

first thing I would check is the ign coil ...they are prone to cracking with heat/age and if its worse on damp days that would be first thing I change

Canadianii
07-15-2014, 09:30 AM
+1 on the coil 378,000 on my DD and on its 3rd coil now.

Intmdtr
07-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Had the same issue with my 99 Windstar, would only stumble when in gear and mostly coming to a stop. Did a tranny flush and filter swap, cured my issue. My van had a little over 100k at that point.

ZR
07-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Also prone to PCV hose rupturing.

Amsoil Guy
07-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Are they like the Freestar with issues with the Intake Manifold Runner Control and bushings?

True Blue
07-15-2014, 03:51 PM
first thing I would check is the ign coil ...they are prone to cracking with heat/age and if its worse on damp days that would be first thing I change

I'll take a look at that, rain or shine the rough idling/stumble is always the same.

Had the same issue with my 99 Windstar, would only stumble when in gear and mostly coming to a stop. Did a tranny flush and filter swap, cured my issue. My van had a little over 100k at that point.

I doubt it's the tranny, had it fully rebuilt 50K ago, the rough idle happens in park, neutral and in drive.

Also prone to PCV hose rupturing.

Thanks Rick, I'll take a closer look at the hose and vacuum lines. I've been reading that the DPFE sensor can cause the same symptoms and are also prone to failure?
BTW, I cleaned the IAC motor 2 weeks ago, nothing improved either.

ZR
07-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Yes to Amsoil guys question.
Also bad for intake gaskets.

Ponyryd
07-16-2014, 11:18 PM
DPFE can cause it if its an old, aluminum one. This is all gonna be kinda "could be this, could be that", you may be better to have someone qualified look at it.

ZR
07-16-2014, 11:24 PM
Good point.
Is it current for tune up parts / MAF cleaned / fuel filter and air filter?

MEANMCHN
07-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Mustang forum.

Ford Windstar forum: http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forums/ford-windstar.40/

True Blue
07-17-2014, 06:34 AM
DPFE can cause it if its an old, aluminum one. This is all gonna be kinda "could be this, could be that", you may be better to have someone qualified look at it.

The van has the newer plastic type DPFE. It might come down to having a mechanic look at it. But if I can do a little dirty work myself, I'm hoping I might be able to find the problem out.

Good point.
Is it current for tune up parts / MAF cleaned / fuel filter and air filter?

MAF was cleaned 2 weeks ago when I cleaned the IAC motor, air filter is a K&N that was cleaned not too long ago. As for the fuel filter, I don't know the last time it was changed. If it was the problem per say for the rough idle and stumble when coming to a stop. Would it not also cause a fuel starving issue on acceleration and cruising speed? Which the van is not experiencing.
I'm also thinking of running a can of Seafoam in it, to see if it's a carbon build up that's causing it?

Meanmchn, thanks for the link!!

True Blue
07-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Found the problem!! I started checking over the vacuum lines, pulled one of the elbows off (sorry no pic) and it was killed, exterior of the elbow looked fine but the rest that wasn't seen that attached to the manifold was destroyed causing a vacuum leak. Off to the Ford store, showed him the rubber elbow, said part doesn't exist. Looks through his parts bin finds a similar item from a Focus that has the elbow and a piece of metal tubing 8" long. Says this piece is $32, want it? I said no, thanked him for his time. Off to Crappy Tire, no part... Part Source, no part. Head back home, found a small diameter heater hose that I had, clamped it in place. Fired up the van, no more rough idle or stumble. Now I need to find this elbow, somewhere..

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3171&pictureid=42028

Ponyryd
07-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Looks like a 90 deg. Plug wire bolt would work perfect for that.
Glad you found the problem, good job.

ZR
07-20-2014, 11:19 AM
It's where I suspected you had an issue.
As said above or just use a longer section of straight hose.
Pretty sure I've see the 90deg hose in the help parts at CTC or a jobber.

True Blue
07-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Looks like a 90 deg. Plug wire bolt would work perfect for that.
Glad you found the problem, good job.

I thought the same, a 90 deg plug boot would work perfect, but I don't have one handy.

It's where I suspected you had an issue.
As said above or just use a longer section of straight hose.
Pretty sure I've see the 90deg hose in the help parts at CTC or a jobber.

I used a curved heater hose which really works quite well. Looking at other Windstars online they have a similar setup of what I did.

I hit up the help section at CT and PS, was surprised not to find a simple 90' elbow hose.

Thanks gents for all the help and suggestions!!

Ponyryd
07-20-2014, 01:49 PM
I thought the same, a 90 deg plug boot would work perfect, but I don't have one handy.

I used a curved heater hose which really works quite well. Looking at other Windstars online they have a similar setup of what I did.

I hit up the help section at CT and PS, was surprised not to find a simple 90' elbow hose.

Thanks gents for all the help and suggestions!!

Wow, that's weird. Maybe just swing by your local garage and ask if they have an old wire with a boot on it. GM/Chrysler use them also, should be easy to find,

twister
07-20-2014, 04:27 PM
had the same issue with my 98 f 150 3.8....

Ponyryd
07-20-2014, 06:49 PM
3.8 Dave?

twister
07-20-2014, 09:16 PM
3.8 Dave?
4.2 now im not sure ill be right back and pop my hood ...lol

Ponyryd
07-20-2014, 10:04 PM
Lol, damn old guys.