PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions for Cobra Brakes?

Rich-C
07-17-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm not a big fan of my current set-up as I have very little confidence in them...especially when cold. Pads/rotors are of unknown brand. They make a TON of noise and don't bite when cold. They also spark like the 4th of July when you really stand on em. Cool effect, but I feel my current setup is more suited for full race application.

I want something that is more street-able but can also hold up to the odd track day. I heard the EBC red-stuff pads are great. Hear hawks are good too. What about rotors?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rich

Blackmare
07-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Rick had good experience with carbotech pads. Check out his thread in the part review section Rich.

Stephen06GT
07-17-2014, 11:21 AM
ZR had real good success with a line of pads from Carbotech. Their website has lots of info, and if you send them a question via email, they'll get back to you right away.

Treed by Scott.

Rich-C
07-17-2014, 11:27 AM
thanks gents!! will check em out :D

Ghost Rider
07-17-2014, 11:39 AM
OE rotors or similar are fine, I have hawks and EBC yellows in my car right now...very dusty and noisy but stop great...maybe a less aggressive Hawk might be quieter, not sure :shrug:

I've also had red's in the rear...they are fine for street use

the carbotechs are nice if you don't mine going through the windshield when you stop LOL, serious though...maybe too aggressive for what your looking for...but man do they ever bit hard for sure

baddbullitt
07-17-2014, 11:49 AM
I ran EBC rotors with Hawk HPS pads with great success!! Hooked real good too!!

RedSN
07-17-2014, 11:50 AM
I want something that is more street-able but can also hold up to the odd track day. I heard the EBC red-stuff pads are great.
So far so good with the reds, but I didn't break them in for nearly long enough, LOL pretty much strait to the track. They have a break-in compound on them, and until I wore through that, they were pretty hairy on the track.

I think I might try the Hawks or the Carbotechs next time.

tulowd
07-17-2014, 11:54 AM
I've run various EBC pads since 1982 in at least 6 of my cars.
The 'vert is on its second set of EBC reds on 13"/11.65" Cobra brakes; I prefer using them with slotted and drilled rotors on the street. Great dollar value and still decent at the road course. Cheap rotors suck - its worth spending the dough on good quality ones from Brembo, EBC or SSBC in my opinion. They utilize better base materials and more accurate machining/QC.

The break in material wears off pretty quick on the street - the idea is to transfer some of the friction material from the pads into the rotor faces - that is what makes them bite. This is why when swapping out only pads the pedal can feel dead initially, since the new pads have to eat thru the existing deposits and put down their own; assuming they can. Much better idea to have seasoned rotors for use with the same pad compounds; or go brand new pads n discs at the same time.

99chromegt
07-17-2014, 11:55 AM
I have the Hawk HPS pads all around with the cobra brake upgrade on the 99GT. Seems to be a good combo on the track and the street but they're not stopping as much HP as your setup.

MEANMCHN
07-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Baer Track 4 brakes, fairly "inexpensive" and an amazing upgrade.

tulowd
07-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Weight is the primary enemy. E=MC2, or something like that, lol....mass has a much greater effect on braking than the horse power.

American Iron cars have run the Cobra brakes for many years - the overwhelming sentiment seems to be they stop as well as the Brembo 4 piston setup - only with less pedal feel/modulation and they go thru pads and rotors much faster.

The in between kits seem to be all the same in terms of rotor mass so they will likely not offer any more performance than the Cobras. You have to go to the big Wilwood kit or the Stoptech (on my wish list) with the 1.25" wide rotors to have more braking capacity.

RedSN
07-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Weight is the primary enemy. E=MC2, or something like that, lol
Are you implying that the extra energy of the larger brakes is creating extra mass?

mass–energy equivalence is the concept that the mass of an object or system is a measure of its energy content. For instance, adding 25 kilowatt-hours (90 megajoules) of any form of energy to any object increases its mass by 1 microgram, increasing its inertia and weight accordingly, even though no matter has been added.

tulowd
07-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Are you implying that the extra energy of the larger brakes is creating extra mass?

lol...no, I'm talking about the mass/weight of the car. Stopping a 3650 lb hippo like my vert is way harder than a 3000 lb American Iron car for example. The weight difference has more bearing on the brake performance than the horsepower difference.

Stephen06GT
07-17-2014, 02:52 PM
0 to 60

60 to 0

My money's on the brakes.

ZR
07-17-2014, 05:11 PM
For an all around street car, squeal from Hawks gets old quick. I'd go with EBC green or red.

Intmdtr
07-17-2014, 05:14 PM
I don't use brakes, I just downshift like a boss

Blackmare
07-17-2014, 06:12 PM
^^^Lol

tulowd
07-17-2014, 06:37 PM
For an all around street car, squeal from Hawks gets old quick. I'd go with EBC green or red.

yea - the reds are squeal free and don't seem to dust too bad

Mustang4
07-17-2014, 07:09 PM
I have these rotors on my Cobra brake setup, 13" front, 11.75" rear with drilled slotted with a silver zinc coating so they don't rust. Look really good and seem to perform well with the stock Cobra pads I have. ZR was impressed with their look and quality when he put them on my car. Richard, 92redragtop, uses them on a number of his cars.

Only Cost $260cdn all included to my door.

http://www.rotorpros.net/

http://imageshack.us/a/img401/9325/nry8.jpg

Mustang4
07-19-2014, 07:15 PM
Clearer shot of the rotors.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/4187/dsc0792large.jpg

tulowd
07-20-2014, 11:34 AM
I just ordered a 13" front set for street use. $120 USD shipped to Buffalo. Looking forward to trying them out.

Mustang4
07-20-2014, 11:11 PM
I just ordered a 13" front set for street use. $120 USD shipped to Buffalo. Looking forward to trying them out.

I'm sure you'll be very pleased with them.

Rich-C
07-21-2014, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys!