PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge issues...

SteveEH
07-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Well, I have been having a few fuel gauge issues in my 05 Mustang GT, every time it gets under a quarter tank, it seems that it has a chance to stop working. I never had this problem before, then again, I hardly ever let it get passed a quarter tank. It also seems that it could be something lose, since when I go around the corner and the rear end gets loose, it will sometimes start working if its not working, and will sometimes stop working if it is working. I am not sure what it could be, so any info on what to check would be nice.

I also installed a premium cluster into my car, and everything is working currently, but never had this issue with my old cluster, but like I said beforehand, I hardly ever let it get under a quarter of a tank so I either never noticed it, or it never happened. I don't think it is cluster since both gauge and the electronic part of it stops working (0 kms to empty).

ZR
07-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Not an uncommon complaint, yes even on newer ones. Many of the guys that come to the track have commented on wonky gauges after just a session or two with the gauge saying they are almost outta fuel when they know for sure it's not the case. To me, easiest solution is to keep in habit of never running it down that far.
Yea it's a pain.

SteveEH
07-24-2014, 12:26 AM
Not an uncommon complaint, yes even on newer ones. Many of the guys that come to the track have commented on wonky gauges after just a session or two with the gauge saying they are almost outta fuel when they know for sure it's not the case. To me, easiest solution is to keep in habit of never running it down that far.
Yea it's a pain.

Thanks for your comment. it doesn't show incorrect fuel, it goes completely down to 0, and get by getting the rear end loose, and shaking the tank a bit, seems to get it working again. Seems like something could be loose? My car does have 175,000 kms on it.

ZR
07-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Some experience exactly that at the track as well. Could be a dead spot in the sender(s).

Uncle Buck
07-24-2014, 08:52 AM
My 06 dropped to 0 kms to empty at the track when I had nearly 3/4 tank. It took a ways of normal driving before it read properly again. Not sure if it's the same issue but clearly these sending units don't like to be jostled around too much. I would guess that when the tank has less in it, it would be even more fussy. I expect it's a design thing we need to live with. Always a good idea to be above 1/4 tank anyway particularly if your foot's feeling heavy.

Stephen06GT
07-24-2014, 08:55 AM
My 06 dropped to 0 kms to empty at the track when I had nearly 3/4 tank. It took a ways of normal driving before it read properly again. Not sure if it's the same issue but clearly these sending units don't like to be jostled around too much. I would guess that when the tank has less in it, it would be even more fussy. I expect it's a design thing we need to live with. Always a good idea to be above 1/4 tank anyway particularly if your foot's feeling heavy.

ZR
07-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Tons n tons of reading here.
https://www.google.ca/#q=2005+mustang+gt+fuel+gauge+problem

SteveEH
07-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I will try to keep it above a quarter, I usually do regardless, I just thought it was something to worry about since I never had this happen to me before.