PDA

View Full Version : Hogging out old NPI heads

Intmdtr
07-25-2014, 06:18 AM
So I have a few sets of NPI heads kicking around the garage and i got to thinking.......

Would it be worth my time to take a decent set of the heads and port them out in my spare time this winter? Once done could i swap all the valves and springs from my working heads over to these ones without many issues?

I am looking at something cost effective here for the time being. I mean i could go out and get a set of PI heads and slap those on and probably be ahead of the game.....but i have these extras laying around and it would give me something to do over this winter....plus if i screw it up i am not out any money.....

Thoughts?

Laffs
07-25-2014, 09:28 AM
Lot more to making heads make horsepower then just hogging out the ports with a dremel. If you want to practice go ahead, but be cautious. Remember its not just the time you spend porting, putting them on the car is a job in and of itself, new gaskets, bolts, fluids etc.

Intmdtr
07-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Oh I am alright with the re and re, just never thought of doing my own porting.

I already have the PI intake and aftermarket cams. Just looking to get this thing to make a little more power up top and not fall on it's face at 5500rpm

Laffs
07-25-2014, 09:35 AM
I believe Summit Racing sells a home porting starter kit. I'd probably pick that up and do a lot of research, if you got the time, the materials and the effort you have everything you need but the knowledge to be gained.

Intmdtr
07-25-2014, 09:40 AM
This is true, like I said, 2 spare pairs of heads....can't hurt much if it turns out alright.

RedSN
07-25-2014, 11:16 AM
wouldn't ported NPI heads not be equivalent to PI heads?

so I guess the question comes down to time and money versus just getting the PI heads.

Intmdtr
07-25-2014, 12:57 PM
This true, but the way I am looking at it is.....practice my porting ability on heads already in my possession, swap them in...make a difference, bonus. Buy PI heads and port them then strap them on....double bonus.