PDA

View Full Version : 04 cobra Alternator ..... Again

TERMIN8R
07-30-2014, 07:26 PM
So the alternator went on my 04 cobra again. 2 times in 2 years. Been doing some reading up on it and from what I understand it may be being over spun due to my lower larger crank pulley... To remedy this I see that metco and STEEDA make/sell a larger alternator pulley.

Before I go ahead and purchase this pulley I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this or has any input. The lower pulley was changed by previous owner so I don't even know what size the lower pulley is... As a result I don't know what size alternator pulley to buy. Does it even matter? As long as it's bigger it's better is my thinking.

Any input would be appreciated

http://www.steeda.ca/ford-mustang-parts/99-04-mustang/engine-components/03-04-cobra/MAP3200/

ZR
07-30-2014, 07:33 PM
With a crank pulley, great idea to slow the alt down, yes can lead to premature failure. Just as important, where you purchase the rblt alt from. Units from Ford have proven to be very reliable. Possibility your belt will be too short, once installed, confirm your within the adjustment range.

Slope
07-30-2014, 07:40 PM
With a crank pulley, great idea to slow the alt down, yes can lead to premature failure. Just as important, where you purchase the rblt alt from. Units from Ford have proven to be very reliable. Possibility your belt will be too short, once installed, confirm your within the adjustment range.

Are those 4lb lowers not the root of other Cobra follies?

ZR
07-30-2014, 07:47 PM
They've proven to be hard on cranks and crank bearings, not a fan of them at all. Other thing few consider when doing lower / upper pulley combo, actual blower RPM. Insane when you sit down and work the math out.

TERMIN8R
07-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Can someone point me in right direction on how to determine the lb of my lower pulley?

Also name brand of alt pulley to buy and where from? Besides STEEDA

ZR
07-30-2014, 10:11 PM
The 4lb lower is very common. If you follow the link, gives you the diameter. Measure yours and compare to what Metco offer.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/metco-4lb-crankpulley-0304cobra.html