PDA

View Full Version : SN95 Rear Suspension

WOLF
07-30-2014, 09:29 PM
I need alittle advice. I have the rear DECH ASG system I will be installing into my 96. Now as for the control arms or anything else does anyone know if I will require to change these out or if I do will they work with the ASG system? Just need to know what Im looking at, might as well do it all when its apart.

ZR
07-30-2014, 10:09 PM
Hard to beat Maximum Motorsports lower arms for quality and performance.

Not4you
07-30-2014, 10:38 PM
DaSilva Racing may be able to put you in touch with Derek Hansen. He'd be the one to ask. But if the AGS will work with anything, i'm with ZR on this - Maximum Mototsports LCAs have been on all of my mustangs over the years.

MEANMCHN
07-31-2014, 03:25 PM
MM is ok, but if you want the GOOD stuff, get Cortex:

http://www.cortexracing.com/product-category/1995-2004-sn95-mustang-suspension/

Slick_89_Hatch
07-31-2014, 04:35 PM
Hey Wolf, you do not need to change the lower control arms, Derek always used the stock pieces and they worked just fine. I assume your ASG includes the ASG specific Grabbers in order to mount it up?
Also keep in mind those grabbers will lower the rear about 1/2 to 3/4" so you may need to use a longer spring, even stock springs would work.

BTW...how did you score an ASG??? Those are almost impossible to find as he didn't make very many of them. If you have any other questions I MIGHT be able to help...my DECH knowledge is limited compared to many others.

RedSN
07-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Derek always used the stock pieces and they worked just fine.
This.

This was the DECH philosophy as I understood it.

The philosophy of the development team was " less is more ", by allowing the car to work as designed, they didn't need to re-balance the car for every small change applied to it - thus allowing the parts to be of highest quality since not every part on the car would be replaced and overall cost could be controlled.

ZR
07-31-2014, 05:57 PM
Interesting read here.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35

ZR
07-31-2014, 05:58 PM
More here.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/road-racing-auto-x/1360117-dech-panhard-bar.html

ZR
07-31-2014, 06:14 PM
Disclaimer..............none of the opinions expressed in either link are my own.

RedSN
07-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Interesting read here.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35

Hanson got roasted!

Slope
07-31-2014, 06:44 PM
Hanson got roasted!

I had to close it before the end of the 1st page...

ZR
07-31-2014, 07:04 PM
While I don't agree with how things progressed, did find some of the questions / opinions interesting.

Slope
07-31-2014, 07:19 PM
did find some of the questions / opinions interesting.

Especially from people who are in AI/AIX now, and not 20 years ago...

MEANMCHN
07-31-2014, 09:23 PM
Cortex makes it REAL simple for people:

http://www.cortexracing.com/tuning-guide/

Not4you
07-31-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm with Slope on this one. It is well known that Corner Carvers is not accepting of 1) new comers and 2) any thought outside of Maximum Motorsports when it comes to Mustang suspension. They are notoriously uncomplimentary toward Derek/Peter and Kenny Brown, pioneers in fox suspensions and winning races with the same principals while most on CC were still in diapers. Add Griggs to the list of their targets too. The site has great tech for sure, but to me tech should be primarily based on fact, not bullying and opinion, as often happened in the hay-day of CC.

For the OP, you should be fine as-is if maintaining your DECH ASG with the stock arms or those from Maximum. If your intention is to win races, Cortex is the place to go - I personally know a team that helped develop some of their parts and has won a number of Championships with them.

RedSN
08-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Corner Carvers did seem a little yellow-bullit-ish. But I do have the same question: what benefit does the ASG have over the Watts Link?
Or are they just two different versions of the same solution?

And is there really that much added benefit of a Watts Link over a conventional Panhard Bar? I understand that the PH moves in an arc, but is it that noticeable?

MEANMCHN
08-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Corner Carvers did seem a little yellow-bullit-ish. But I do have the same question: what benefit does the ASG have over the Watts Link?

And is there really that much added benefit of a Watts Link over a conventional Panhard Bar? I understand that the PH moves in an arc, but is it that noticeable?

Night and day, I drove a Mustang with one and it's much more balanced especially under braking (I didn't notice just how unstable my car was under braking with the Cobra brakes until I upgrade to the Baer Track brakes on all 4 corners, Mustangs really are a pile of shit to fix in terms of chassis stability). Progressive oversteer instead of snap oversteer, braking stability and getting on the gas through the apex are the main things. But the ability to adjust the balance of the vehicle from one point depending on the track you're on is sweet.

Slick_89_Hatch
08-02-2014, 09:48 AM

The ASG allows for a lower Roll Center compared to a Watts a link. FYI...buddy of mine talked to the designer at Faze1 which makes an excellent watts link and he had never seen an ASG before...he found it incredibly interesting in design.

Derek knows his stuff.....and I don't think people should talk smack about his designs until you've taken a ride in a DECH stang....

Slick_89_Hatch
08-02-2014, 09:50 AM
As a side note, did you guys know all of his Aero Kits and wings were all wind tunnel tested? Pretty interesting stuff.

Slope
08-02-2014, 10:21 AM
As a side note, did you guys know all of his Aero Kits were all wind tunnel tested? Pretty interesting stuff.

Not to mention the best looking kit on a Fox.

Esthetically, skip the wings though...

MEANMCHN
08-02-2014, 10:58 AM
The ASG allows for a lower Roll Center compared to a Watts a link. FYI...buddy of mine talked to the designer at Faze1 which makes an excellent watts link and he had never seen an ASG before...he found it incredibly interesting in design.

It's Fays2, and they're crap.

Shitty welds that unzip themselves and way to heavy.

ZR
08-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Hard to imagine that design not breaking. Can't have a major stress point like that hanging in mid air, especially with no gussets and expect it to stand up.

MEANMCHN
08-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Ya, when you're talking lateral loads over 5,500lbs Fays2 is a pretty stupid design. Most of them are actually, Cortex builds their Watts Link just like Nascar builds theirs, it's simple and much lighter.