PDA

View Full Version : Oily runner #2 only????

cobrasteve
08-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Hey guys, I just finished rebuilding my 302 a couple weeks ago - hci and supporting mods. Anyways, I have a loud chatter and I'm assuming it's my roller rockers. So I'm taking my upper off to get at the rockers and I notice runner #2 is all greasy/oily.... just #2 all the other ones are bone dry!!! *
‎Any ideas as what this could be??? Should I be worried???

Intmdtr
08-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Did you use assembly lube and prime the motor prior to start up?

ZR
08-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Does it have oil pressure?

Slope
08-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Is it the #2 intake rocker you suspect to be the culprit?

Could explain the charge reversion in that runner.

cobrasteve
08-04-2014, 09:57 PM
I did use assembly lube and primed prior to startup.
I'm assuming I have oil pressure as oil is coming from the rockers - is this a correct assumption?
I put everything back minus the passenger valve cover, shielded the headers from oil and started it up.
Good news - chatter is rockers hitting valve covers
Bad news - when I took everything apart again, #2 had a new film of buildup - i wiped it down prior to re-installation.

ZR
08-04-2014, 10:04 PM
Bad news - when I took everything apart again, #2 had a new film of buildup - i wiped it down prior to re-installation.

Had a film of build up where? Intake runner? If so, sure the intake valve is not adjusted too tight? Sure lower intake gasket was fully sealed?

Ponyryd
08-04-2014, 10:59 PM
Used or new heads? As stated it could be an over adjusted rocker, or lower intake gasket pulling oil from the center valley, could also be a leaking valve/seal or piston rings.

cobrasteve
08-05-2014, 12:33 AM
The heads were used. I checked the rocker and it looks the same as the others... when the valve is closed the rocker can move side to side, I'll back it off tomorrow.
I haven't retorque'd my lower yet so I'll do that too! I'm hoping it's that!

ZR
08-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Where are you seeing the oil film / build up?
Adjustable rockers?

cobrasteve
08-05-2014, 11:56 AM
I see build up in my lower intake runner ‎#2 and some of the upper. I wiped everything down and reinstalled, ran for maybe 2 minutes, took the upper off and had wet spots around #2 on my gasket and spacer and inside the #2 intake port again. *
I also have a strong fuel smell. Could this be oil and fuel? I thought maybe I'm not getting spark at that cylinder and pulled the plug, it is wet. *I haven't tested for spark at #2 yet but I will tonight.
I'm kinda all over the place and don't know what to focus on. Could a leaky injector cause this? I did notice that my fuel pressure isn't holding. Turn key on, fuel pump prime, pressure goes to 40 and then started to drop. I'm going to clamp it off before the rails and see if it holds, but if it doesn't it's most likely the injectors right? Since nothing is coming out of the fpr vacuum???‎
‎Yes my rockers are adjustable
Things I'll do tonight
- retorque lower intake
- test for spark at #2
- clamp to see if fuel pressure holds
- reset my rockers*

But if all that is okay... what else could it be? would a compression test help to see if the valve is sitting properly?*
I'm hoping it's one of the above issues.
I've been building this car since I bought it 3 years ago, and I'm really feeling defeated and just want to throw in the towel and buy something done lol*
Thanks for all your suggestions and help! I think it's the forum help that keeps me going!‎

TurboFox
08-05-2014, 12:34 PM
What kind of fuel pump do you have? Its not uncommon to prime and hit fuel pressure and then bleed off.

ZR
08-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Does it have adjustable or bolt down rockers?

cobrasteve
08-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Adjustable

ZR
08-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Are you confident all are set correctly?

Slope
08-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Age + condition of injectors = ?

Ponyryd
08-05-2014, 07:00 PM
If you can easily pull the upper off, take a good small flashlight and try look down the runner to see if you can see the injector leaking. If it was me I'd blow compressed air down the runner first to clean anything out so you know what you see is current. If the injector is stuck open it will cause this exact problem.

cobrasteve
08-05-2014, 08:18 PM
I'm going to reset the #2 valves tonight‎... I'm pretty sure they are set properly.
I purchased the injectors used from a member. He had no problems. The upper is actually off right now! I'm going to let the pump prime and try the flashlight idea!!!‎

Ponyryd
08-05-2014, 08:57 PM
If you can move the rocker, the valve is not over-adjusted. I always set them and check if I can twist the pushrod by hand, same idea.

Slope
08-05-2014, 10:04 PM
After you are convinced that the rocker/adjustment is not at fault, try the flashlight method. If you can't see down there or are unsure of the results, swap the injector in question with one of the other runners that is clean to see if the problem follows the injector.

Ponyryd
08-05-2014, 10:33 PM
I usually just remove the rail with the lines connected and watch for a leaky injector. Need to pull the injectors out of the intake though, not out of the rail.....they should have locks but they aren't very strong.

cobrasteve
08-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Well... it's not a leaky injector... i blew out the runner and primed the pump.... didn't see anything. I then brought cylinder 2 up and proceeded to blow air thru the spark plug hole... fluid... it's antifreeze :(*

The good news is my rockers are adjusted properly :)

So I'm assuming number 2 wasn't firing at ‎all and who knows how much coolant was in that cylinder... I'm pretty bummed

I'll compression test it tomorrow to ensure its the HG. What else could it be???‎

Ponyryd
08-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Antifreeze getting past the valve? That makes nonsense, you sure?

Compression test won't show a bad head gasket unless the fire ring is blown. But ya, if there's coolant in that cylinder its one of three things.....blown head gasket, warped/cracked/damaged head, cracked block.

ZR
08-05-2014, 11:08 PM
I saw you said heads are used, ported by any chance?

Ponyryd
08-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Or you mean coolant coming out of the plug hole?

ZR
08-05-2014, 11:13 PM
I took him to mean out of the plug hole.

Ponyryd
08-05-2014, 11:20 PM
That makes sense, lol, I think its bedtime :)

cobrasteve
08-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Coolant coming out of the plug hole. *Heads were used but not ported. *‎
I'm assuming that coolant was in cyl 2 and so it wasn't firing causing fuel to stay in the runner and not burn up... does that make sense?
The only spot where coolant could come from and get into #2 is the head correct? There's no coolant passages around #2 on the lower intake? *‎

B-blown
08-06-2014, 10:21 AM
do you have access to a coolant system pressure tester ? I would check to see if system is holding presure if it doesn`t I would suspect bad head or gasket

Ponyryd
08-06-2014, 06:29 PM
There are coolant passages in the lower intake, on the ends though, not near #2 cyl....

B-blown
08-06-2014, 08:21 PM
There are coolant passages in the lower intake, on the ends though, not near #2 cyl....

I was thinking more head gasket that didn`t seal right for some reason ...just throwing ideas out there since he saw coolant in that cyl

cobrasteve
08-06-2014, 09:58 PM
I'm hoping it's the head gasket and not a cracked head. * When taking the head off again are there any tell tale signs that will point to the gasket? I'm hoping I can find some time to work on it tomorrow!
Where's a good place to get the head pressure tested?

Ponyryd
08-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Telltale would be a blown fire ring (the ring around the bore), any machine shop can check the head for you, we use CarQuest.

cobrasteve
09-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Hey guys, haven't had time to work on the car. Actually been looking for another one!
Quick question - can i remove and retorque a single head bolt one at a time? Just to double check if I coated all the bolts with sealer?