08-05-2014, 02:54 PM
...at installing rear gears?

Not4you
08-05-2014, 03:02 PM
TDS in Newmarket

MEANMCHN
08-05-2014, 03:07 PM
TDS in Newmarket

I've called that guy and he won't even touch upgrading my T-45 internals... I appreciate the input though, just tough to find REALLY good guys.

RedSN
08-05-2014, 03:09 PM
I've called that guy and he won't even touch upgrading my T-45 internals... I appreciate the input though, just tough to find REALLY good guys.

with all due respect, you said "rear gears"

MEANMCHN
08-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Sorry, I mixed together two conversations.

Speedtospare
08-05-2014, 04:29 PM
ZR Rick has a guys that did my Ford motorsport 4.10's twice. Once I broke the stock rear end i replaced it with a build until and its great. Cannot hear the rear end at all, its silent.

ZR
08-05-2014, 05:09 PM
You mean when it ate the stock axle n a broken bit went through the gear.

Slope
08-05-2014, 05:44 PM
TDS in Newmarket

Yep.

tulowd
08-05-2014, 06:41 PM

Ive been dealing with John for 25 yrs. The reason he won't touch a T45 is that ur wasting ur time and $. I bought a brand new T5-Z recently for under $2500. Might be a hassle for you with mounting etc; but upgrading that thing doesn't make any sense to me.

MEANMCHN
08-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Ive been dealing with John for 25 yrs. The reason he won't touch a T45 is that ur wasting ur time and $. I bought a brand new T5-Z recently for under $2500. Might be a hassle for you with mounting etc; but upgrading that thing doesn't make any sense to me.

Switching the conversation to the T-45, what do you mean it's not worth upgrading? The guy from the T-45 source seems good and does a nicely rebuilt unit for $2453.75 to my door with a ton of upgrades from the list he sent me. Let me know what you think, thanks! I could do a TKO-600 with the road race 5th gear ratio but it's $2500 USD for just the transmission, no bell housing, clutch, etc. and I have to use a lot of non-standard stuff. Any category of racing class basically automatically throws you in with with fully built race cars if you replace things with products not offered from the factory (ie., swapping in an LSX).

Slope
08-05-2014, 10:09 PM
I could do a TKO-600 with the road race 5th gear ratio but it's $2500 USD for just the transmission, no bell housing, clutch, etc.

There's a reason it costs that much...

tulowd
08-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Switching the conversation to the T-45, what do you mean it's not worth upgrading? The guy from the T-45 source seems good and does a nicely rebuilt unit for $2453.75 to my door with a ton of upgrades from the list he sent me. Let me know what you think, thanks! I could do a TKO-600 with the road race 5th gear ratio but it's $2500 USD for just the transmission, no bell housing, clutch, etc. and I have to use a lot of non-standard stuff. Any category of racing class basically automatically throws you in with with fully built race cars if you replace things with products not offered from the factory (ie., swapping in an LSX).

At the end of the day, at T45 doesn't have the strength potential for the dough. Why do you think its not a common build and why one of the best drivetrain guys won't touch it. I didn't know you were stuck in a class because of it, so you don't have much choice - the built one you are talking about has a warranty?

I bought the new T5 cause it was gonna be double that to do a T56 and plenty of hassles.

MEANMCHN
08-05-2014, 11:30 PM
I'm not really concerned about the class thing, but all in all my aim is for a really dependable 500 or so rwhp. The 5 speed is also a nice option as it's about 60lbs less than the T-56. Weight is a big concern on the track, as saving 60lbs is REALLY hard, so adding it to get a 6th gear that I'll never use doesn't make sense for my application.

I also don't power shift or launch the car hard, it's more 3rd-4th-5th I'm worried about. None of the tracks I go to have 2nd gear corners.

The other consideration is that the TKO600 installed is knocking on the $4,500 range, which is too much for my car, I love my Mustang, but at the end of the day it's a 99. I don't think I'd see much benefit over a solid T-45. But the opinions are great for sure.

The build sheet I have is:

Complete Street-Strip Rebuild for High HP Applications
Cryogenic gear treatment
REM Treatment
26 Spline Input shaft, heat treated
SureShift Billet Shift Fork (1-2)
SureShift Billet Shift Fork (3-4)
SureShift plate 1-2
SureShift plate 3-4
Front Seal
Rear Seal
Billet Steel Hub Inserts (set)
Bronze Shift fork Pads (2 pair)
Bearings
1-2 carbon fiber lined synchro ring
3-4 carbon fiber lined synchro ring
5-R carbon fiber lined synchro ring
Replace stock synchro springs
Repalce stock shift fork pads (5-R)
Replace stock synchro inserts (1-2 & 5-R)
Clutch fork pivot ball stud

ZR
08-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Since your not breaking parts, I'd be more inclined to suggest run what you've got and deal with it if you should see a failure.

tulowd
08-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Since your not breaking parts, I'd be more inclined to suggest run what you've got and deal with it if you should see a failure.

+1; and keep an eye out for a good used spare. Back in the day I used to get T5's for about $400 and be able to run em at autocross or lapping days for quite a while before they expired. Most of the light transmissions have case stiffness issues - once they flex, it doesn't matter whats inside, they wear out and eventually toast a bearing or shaft.

500 rhwp is really stout for a road race car. What is the weight on track with you and full of fuel etc?

My 87 vert weighs about 3650 full with driver, have Victor Jr. alum heads at PSP that will knock off 50 lbs.
App 400 N/A rwhp.

DRVANGRY
08-06-2014, 09:42 AM
REV N HIGH in Pickering! Had my 4:10's put in 4 years ago, Darren is a Great guy to deal with and does things Right the first time!

svo1990mustang
08-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Call Jeff at Mustang Specailtiez his guy Glen that comes in is great with that stuff. He did two sets of gears for me and they were both perfect and whisper quiet.

MEANMCHN
08-06-2014, 12:05 PM

I totally agree with you, I'm actually pretty decent on parts, things wear out instead of break but I can feel that my transmission is on the way out (3 and 4 are kinda shitty feeling) and I'm doing Targa Newfoundland next year and want a setup where I'm not driving around praying I don't break ha ha.

MEANMCHN
08-06-2014, 12:09 PM
+1; and keep an eye out for a good used spare. Back in the day I used to get T5's for about $400 and be able to run em at autocross or lapping days for quite a while before they expired. Most of the light transmissions have case stiffness issues - once they flex, it doesn't matter whats inside, they wear out and eventually toast a bearing or shaft.

500 rhwp is really stout for a road race car. What is the weight on track with you and full of fuel etc?

My 87 vert weighs about 3650 full with driver, have Victor Jr. alum heads at PSP that will knock off 50 lbs.

App 400 N/A rwhp.

I don't like waiting on the straights for the McLaren or ZR1 to come eat me up ha ha, with an extra 100 I'll be happy. Total weight is about the same as you with everything, I've been lapping with a passenger to get used to the change in weight balance.

MEANMCHN
08-07-2014, 01:44 PM
I'd like to award Paul at PSP with the award for best gear job. It's basically what I'd consider perfect now, HUGE difference. Just to note, this is the 5th set of gears in this car 3.27, 3.73, 4.10, 3.55, 3.55. He did an excellent job, and very reasonable on the wallet side of things too. No more 8 second bull rides in first gear, and no more pushing in the clutch work arounds. I knew someone could do this right.

tulowd
08-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Glad to hear. I like Paul a whole bunch and try to give him all my engine biz.

Tailites
08-07-2014, 06:39 PM
did my own...mouse quiet

buttery shmoozch...

cheated tho...wuz shown how to cheat..:)

MEANMCHN
08-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Glad to hear. I like Paul a whole bunch and try to give him all my engine biz.

Ya, he's a really nice guy. Easy to work with, knows a lot.

steam_mill
08-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Star Automatic Transmission and differentials, On Ossington, just north of Dupont.

Just great and careful. Doing it for almost 40 years.

2DXTRM
08-14-2014, 06:48 PM
I'd like to award Paul at PSP with the award for best gear job. It's basically what I'd consider perfect now, HUGE difference. Just to note, this is the 5th set of gears in this car 3.27, 3.73, 4.10, 3.55, 3.55. He did an excellent job, and very reasonable on the wallet side of things too. No more 8 second bull rides in first gear, and no more pushing in the clutch work arounds. I knew someone could do this right.

Guess you just dropped it off and picked it up after it was done. Paul @ PSP doesnt do gear installs on his own. He has someone come in.

Slope
08-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Guess you just dropped it off and picked it up after it was done. Paul @ PSP doesnt do gear installs on his own. He has someone come in.

I bet some still believe he does his own machining too...

MEANMCHN
08-14-2014, 10:51 PM
At the end of the day what matters is the job was done right in a short amount of time.

twister
08-14-2014, 11:27 PM
imo tds ftw :highfive:

Stu59
08-16-2014, 09:11 PM
For transmission or rear end stuff, Newmarket Transmission on Gorham st in newmarket have always taken care of me with great parts and great service.

Slope
08-17-2014, 12:43 AM
For transmission or rear end stuff, Newmarket Transmission on Gorham st in newmarket have always taken care of me with great parts and great service.

Also have good service on Tremec stuff.