PDA

View Full Version : Clutch or Tranny OR both?

Mellow Yellow
08-18-2014, 09:53 PM
I have an issue with my 2005 GT 5 spd. It actually showed up last year at a grudge drag day I attended. The car has an aluminum flywheel, Centerforce Clutch...with the little weights on the the pressure plate "fingers". Mileage is 252,000 and I'm on my third clutch.

When driving "reasonably" everything is tolerable; but when I'm hard on the gas and go to shift (out of any gear) it won't release.

I think its clutch time, but some have indicated it could be the shift forks are bent/out of place. The clutch is not slipping at all.
Now I'm confused. Also I don't want to R&R the tranny a second time if it is the culprit.

Any thoughts?

Since I'll be changing the clutch anyway, what is recommended. Car has about 300 to the wheels, but a significant upgrade may be done in 2015.

Thanks in advance.

Intmdtr
08-18-2014, 10:00 PM
Sounds like a pressure plate issue. Fingers could be bent or springs could be weak

Ponyryd
08-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Probably tranny time, pressure plate won't choose weather to work or not depending how you drives its on/off. Trans on the other hand can cause this problem since its speed/rpm dependant, if you're only noticing it when driving hard I'd bet its the trans. T56 would be a great upgrade for you with the gear you have.

Intmdtr
08-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Well, I had the exact same symptoms on my 96 T-45, would not shift at high rpms but was fine during normal driving. Installed a new king cobra clutch and pressure plate and it solved my problems so was just passing on my thoughts.

ZR
08-18-2014, 11:02 PM
Could be clutch and or hydraulic issues.

Ponyryd
08-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Well, I had the exact same symptoms on my 96 T-45, would not shift at high rpms but was fine during normal driving. Installed a new king cobra clutch and pressure plate and it solved my problems so was just passing on my thoughts.

I wasn't trying to argue with you, just to be clear :) I suppose we need better details to really help figure this out.
When you say "won't release" do you mean the shifter won't come out of gear, or the clutch won't release?

Mellow Yellow
08-19-2014, 08:34 PM
I wasn't trying to argue with you, just to be clear :) I suppose we need better details to really help figure this out.
When you say "won't release" do you mean the shifter won't come out of gear, or the clutch won't release?

I guess I'm not really sure.

All i know is i can't get it out of gear. The lever seems to jamb. The shifter is a newer (year and half old) and is an MGW.

Intmdtr
08-19-2014, 08:46 PM
My shifter would come out of gear when it was at high rpm, but even with the clutch in it wouldn't take the next gear.....it would come out of gear with a big clunk.

Ponyryd
08-19-2014, 09:04 PM
I guess I'm not really sure.

All i know is i can't get it out of gear. The lever seems to jamb. The shifter is a newer (year and half old) and is an MGW.

That's what I thought you were saying.....in which case I still lean towards a trans issue, clutch is possible, but clutch in or out you should be able to pull it into neutral.

Nsty04SVT
08-19-2014, 09:16 PM
When my clutch was on it's way out it became hard to pull the car out of gear during spirited driving, it became worse as time went on and once the clutch was removed it was just in time.

The clutch only slipped once and that was pass number 5 at the strip about 2 months prior.

Mellow Yellow
08-19-2014, 10:34 PM
My shifter would come out of gear when it was at high rpm, but even with the clutch in it wouldn't take the next gear.....it would come out of gear with a big clunk.

No big clunk.

The next gear is, generally, easy to find and engage.