Intmdtr
08-26-2014, 05:55 PM
Dead battery?

Slope
08-26-2014, 06:03 PM
What type of vehicle is this?

Ponyryd
08-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Are you saying nothing is lighting up on the dash? Do the headlights work? Year/make and model always helps.

Slope
08-26-2014, 06:25 PM
Either way, gonna go with a battery terminal/cable connection.

7up-5.0
08-26-2014, 07:22 PM
1990 mustang 302 when you turn the key there's nothing no lights nothing tried to boost got nothing at all everything worked fine got lots of charge in the battery. O well tow it home and try tomorrow sucks can't get the windows up and no garage.

7up-5.0
08-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Sorry guys just pissed of right now not thinking straight. Was leaving on Friday for a holiday with the car.

Slope
08-26-2014, 07:25 PM
I'd pop the battery terminals off first, clean and retry.

7up-5.0
08-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Anybody know a tow guy close to browns line and Horner would be a big help

Armen
08-26-2014, 08:12 PM
I'd pop the battery terminals off first, clean and retry.

Yup... Had the same happen to me with my 87.

Was a loose neg cable at the battery terminal.

Ponyryd
08-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Agree if there is NO power to anything its likely a connection issue, either at the battery, or the main ground on the block. Before towing it, go out with some booster cables, use only the negative jumper cable, put one end of the negative cable on the negative battery post, and the other end of the cable on the engine block, alternator case, etc.....a GOOD ground on the block. I'd do this with the lights on, then if they come on you'll know you're in the right area.
All you're doing here is making your own ground from the battery to the engine, so one cable should suffice. If this solves the problem, follow the negative cable from the battery and see where it connects to the block, IIRC its on the drivers side at the front.

ZR
08-26-2014, 11:32 PM
^ Solid advice.

Gabe
08-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Have previously had this exact type of issue, was the ground on the block. Great advice by Ponyryd

Monera3v
08-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Hey just for kickers,

check if the charge cable from to the alternator has touched the alternator's casing and cause a short!

I've had that happen before on my 96

7up-5.0
08-27-2014, 06:34 PM
just want to thank all you guy's got a number for a stang guru going to give him a call and see what he can figure out have to wait till next week leaving for a holiday this weekend. was hope to take the car but not in the cards. will keep you guys posted when we get it figured out. thanks for the ideas and help.

7up-5.0
09-28-2014, 02:37 PM
ok guys im at my wit's end with this thing, i tryed use my cables to bypass the ground got nothing no lights, i put a new ignition switch for the key still nothing, now i tryed changing the solenoid. what i got was power the head lights came on had power back inside the car but i tryed to start the car i heard a pop from under the hood then everything went dead again i have checked every fuse and wire they look ok. any ideas or if somebody knows somebody that could help me out i would really appeciate that. need to get it running so i can put her away for the winter. any help you guy got would be great ty in advance. kevin

Frankie
09-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Still sounds like a connection problem.
The battery runs to the input side of the solenoid and all the power to the car runs from that side.
only thing connected to the output side of the solenoid is the starter.

ZR
09-30-2014, 07:49 AM
You still stuck?

7up-5.0
09-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Yeah still can't get it sorted out not sure what to try next any other ideas im open to more ideas.

Ponyryd
09-30-2014, 09:24 PM
It still sounds like connections to me, that's the only thing that will kill everything, if it was a switch, soleniod, etc...it would kill a few things, but other stuff would still work.
Did you use the cables with the headlights on? Its gotta be either a main power or main ground. Do you smell anything under the hood? A cooked wire will give a bad smell, like burning rubber and hair.

7up-5.0
10-01-2014, 06:10 AM
I tried the cables from the neg to a good spot on the motor to bypass the ground with the head lights on nothing tried positive to positive side on solioned. Nothing put a new ign switch in the column nothing so I put a new solinend in turned the head lights on turned the to on position got power inside car and head lights when I tried starting the car heard a pop from under the hood and everything went dead again. I have check all of the fuses and looked at the wires they all look good I check my fuse able links to I had problems in the spring with them. Everything looks tight and no bad smells from under the hood at any point. At this point I know it's going to be some stupid thing I'm just not seeing but I just don't know enough about the electrical side of these thing. Got a few more ideas then it's of to a garage. Zr( rick) I will give you a call maybe if you got some time ill get it brought to you. I'll give you call maybe we can work something out if you got time. Ty fir all the idea guys really appreciate it.kevin

Intmdtr
10-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Weird question but is the ground to the starter all good and is the starter tight in location? Sounds like it may be loose and when you click it over it jumps out and grounds out.

Ponyryd
10-01-2014, 06:29 PM
^Something is definitely wrong with the connections, you need to go through and take a good look at all the main cables in this car. The loud noise likely had a spark along with it, you prolly just didn't see it.

7up-5.0
10-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Want to start of by sending out a big ty to r- model for introducing me to Paul the guy knows foxs and got mine up and running in about a hour turns out it was some connections that need to be cleaned an d fixed. She is up and running strong got a few more things to fix but good to go. So ty all for the ideas and help.

Slope
10-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Want to start of by sending out a big ty to r- model for introducing me to Paul the guy knows foxs and got mine up and running in about a hour turns out it was some connections that need to be cleaned an d fixed. She is up and running strong got a few more things to fix but good to go. So ty all for the ideas and help.

Which Paul?