PDA

View Full Version : What I *DIDN'T* buy today...

Slope
12-18-2014, 09:04 PM
As some of you know, I've had a Project Fox on the go. Part of the final segment of the build was to install a power adder. All of the steps were taken during assembly of the motor and fuel system to accommodate the final phase of the car. I decided to omit the power adder for the season that has just past us as I was eager to get the car on the road and get any bugs worked out before going forced. The car ended being trouble-free save for a slight coolant leak.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607996451284517266&pid=15.1&P=0

Ever since I'd say around the mid 90's, I have had a monster hard-on for a 2.1L Kenne Bell. At the time, I could never had near enough scratch to buy the kit let alone the related parts. Other projects/builds/hobbies then took precedence and the KB idea got shelved.

With everything checking out on the car, and me being a good boy this year, I was going to realize a wet dream of days gone by and finally have my own Flowzilla kit instead of watching other people's YouTube videos. I was also looking for a brand new factory unit. I don't care how "lightly used" someone elses was. Factory fresh was the only answer.

I go on KB's website and make my way over to the Price List so I can get the P/N to place my order. I notice that the Fox kits are not listed. Interesting...

So I place a call down to Rancho Cucamonga, CA this morning with the intent of placing an order. Upon inquiring about a Fox kit: "We no longer stock them, they are discontinued and WE WILL NOT BE MAKING ANY MORE KITS FOR THE PUSHROD MOTORS". Apparently, the last kit sold in the Spring of this year.

The rest of the day was kinda ho-hum for me. I know that KB's customer service/Tech is notorious for being abysmal, which I kind of expected. After thinking about it, I made peace with a few reasons why this likely happened.

Anyways, you can always go check 'em out on YouTube. I know all the good vids...

newbiestangowner
12-18-2014, 09:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

No, ahh man- maybe another vendor??

Ponyryd
12-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Pm Tino (saleenman), if anyone knows where to get one it would be him.

99chromegt
12-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Pushrods don't need a power adder I guess. Just no market.

Ray721
12-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Go turbo?

[emoji12]

ZR
12-18-2014, 09:53 PM
What they should have done, developed an intercooled version and sold a million of em.

Slope
12-18-2014, 10:05 PM
What they should have done, developed an intercooled version and sold a million of em.

Bingo.

I remember back when these kits were just new, Jim Bell used to say that there is no sense incorporating a bypass. I guess his quietly changed his mind at some point...

When asked a few years back in an interview about any further advancements with the Fox kits, he pretty much said that "we've done what we've done and that's where it stands". A VERY closed-minded company in respect to product development and customer feedback.

I thought of doing an A2A setup, but I wanted to leave it alone. The inlet, compressor and manifolds already take up enough real estate under the hood.

Slope
12-18-2014, 10:06 PM
To add to the above, the kits were priced almost right in line with turbo kits. If it came down to HP/Dollar, I know which one I'd pick...

ZR
12-19-2014, 12:06 AM
Largest problem he had selling kits, ignorance by the masses of how well it worked.

The Newmare
12-19-2014, 10:52 AM
loved the Blowzilla on my 86 instant torque!!!

Hutch
12-19-2014, 03:22 PM
I liked the instant power mine made but it would just roast the tires in 1st and 2nd. The heat it made also was incredible. I called 3 major tuning shops and all 3 of them told me to sell it and they didn't even want to tune it. I sold it and haven't looked back.

ZR
12-19-2014, 03:24 PM
You try smacking a mega meth kit on dat puppy?

Old Fart
12-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Now we know why they dropped the prices on them a little while ago.

ZR
12-19-2014, 08:33 PM
The 4.6 2V kits looked to have also dropped, may be next.

Slope
12-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Now we know why they dropped the prices on them a little while ago.

Yep and not a damn thing mentioned about discontinuing them. I just thought it was an overstock blowout kinda deal...

saleenman
12-21-2014, 12:25 AM
Wow that is news.

They aren't in business any more. But I remember a company in Michigan that would sell the KB compressors for almost cost. 2.2L compressor for $1100 and when I got the new design 2.1L I got that for $1000. While KB wanted double.

Hutch is right though. Not too many wanted to tune these.

Tailites
12-21-2014, 09:36 AM
hey Ryan ol buddy...why you want a power adder?

everybody knows you drive like granny:rockon:

Hutch
12-21-2014, 10:45 AM
I was looking on corral last night and there a few nice kits for sale. I know you didn't want used but now it looks like you don't have a choice

Slope
12-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Hutch is right though. Not too many wanted to tune these.

That's because most tuners are afraid to hit the Sample button below 3000RPM. I know someone who could accommodate this but even if that fell through, I'd toss on an Extender or a PMS and do it myself.

hey Ryan ol buddy...why you want a power adder?

everybody knows you drive like granny:rockon:

To show you how to keep head gaskets in a boosted junkyard street car with no tune.

I was looking on corral last night and there a few nice kits for sale. I know you didn't want used but now it looks like you don't have a choice

Thanks for the heads up. I've all but talked myself out of a KB at this point.

92redragtop
12-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Yep and not a damn thing mentioned about discontinuing them. I just thought it was an overstock blowout kinda deal...

Yeah so much for getting replacement parts now if you own one of these. That sucks - I was considering experimenting with one of these to check out the difference between a centri and direct.

Slope
12-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Yeah so much for getting replacement parts now if you own one of these. That sucks - I was considering experimenting with one of these to check out the difference between a centri and direct.

Kenne Bell didn't handle the rebuilds on most of these units, they got farmed out. There are at least two places online that still offer service on these blowers. Direct, no bullsh*t.

On the centri vs. PD supercharger, it's just a totally different power. The both have inherent +'s and -'s.

Hutch
12-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Kenne Bell didn't handle the rebuilds on most of these units, they got farmed out. There are at least two places online that still offer service on these blowers. Direct, no bullsh*t.

On the centri vs. PD supercharger, it's just a totally different power. The both have inherent +'s and -'s.

Full boost instantly in a fox body = roasting tires. A guy down my street owns a gorgeous 04 pullied cobra. We went for a ride in my car and then in his. He was surprised at how similar the power was. One difference is he got way more traction then me. My car was all over the road into most of 3rd. I sold the K.B and was going to buy a vortech but decided to keep it N/A for what I want out of the car. I hope you find what your after Slope!

Slope
12-21-2014, 01:29 PM
I sold the K.B

If it wasn't polished, I would have owned it.

Tailites
12-22-2014, 11:11 AM
To show you how to keep head gaskets in a boosted junkyard street car with no tune.

so show me...I have a thirst for knowledge...

lets see if your build skillz can keep up with yer chimney

ZR
12-22-2014, 11:28 AM
What boost level we talkin bout here Willis?

Tailites
12-22-2014, 01:43 PM
What boost level we talkin bout here Willis?

Im thinking about 15 psi...

weve bin kickin around this JY build thing with Jibbeez car for a while

Slope seems to wanna go boosted with a SC...

me?...broken enough times...Im becoming an authority on what not to do...its fun actually

onDjuice
12-22-2014, 08:13 PM
Inter cool that K.B and have some fun..

onDjuice
12-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Im thinking about 15 psi...

weve bin kickin around this JY build thing with Jibbeez car for a while

Slope seems to wanna go boosted with a SC...

me?...broken enough times...Im becoming an authority on what not to do...its fun actually

So guessing is actually fun..lol

Tailites
12-22-2014, 09:12 PM
So guessing is actually fun..lol

come on Tony...you know how I roll...

Slope
12-22-2014, 09:20 PM
So guessing is actually fun..

If by "fun" you mean scattering your car once or twice a season without putting many actual miles on it then yes, fun.

Tailites
12-22-2014, 09:27 PM
If by "fun" you mean scattering your car once or twice a season without putting many actual miles on it then yes, fun.

or blaming others for your inability to correctly diagnose & fix a lifter problem?

Slope
12-22-2014, 09:35 PM
or blaming others for your inability to correctly diagnose & fix a lifter problem?

If you could share where I "blamed others", that'd be great. Especially when "others" said: "oil is a liquid, it's not compressible/the pushrod is straight and the rocker checks out/just put your thick valve cover gasket on and it'll be just fine".

I did diagnose the problem.
I did fix the problem.

My sh*t has to run every day.

Tailites
12-22-2014, 10:30 PM
:mechanic:
If you could share where I "blamed others", that'd be great. Especially when "others" said: "oil is a liquid, it's not compressible/the pushrod is straight and the rocker checks out/just put your thick valve cover gasket on and it'll be just fine".

I did diagnose the problem.
I did fix the problem.

My sh*t has to run every day.

yes...& good...

however...you also created the problem...just sayin

Slope
12-22-2014, 10:39 PM
however...you also created the problem...just sayin

Never once did I dismiss that.

Still waiting on a quote or instance where I "blamed others".

I'll wait here.

Mustang4
12-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Too bad on the KB Ryan, I had been thinking of one as well. Oh well, we'll just go another route.

92redragtop
12-23-2014, 12:11 AM

Yeah, was thinking about parts, etc for the rebuilds. Hard enough getting parts from Ford for some discontinued car models so not sure what a small company like this would be like especially given the half-hearted effort they put into these kits (fox).