PDA

View Full Version : 2010+ DRL delete/disable?

Sterlinghorsegt
03-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Anybody have an idea on how to do it?

Stephen06GT
03-19-2014, 03:59 PM
I'd like to know for my '06 as well.

Sterlinghorsegt
03-19-2014, 04:07 PM
I'd like to know for my '06 as well.

From what I've googled I think we have to take it to the dealer so they reprogram the ecu to USA non-drl states. Whatever happened to just cutting a wire. Lol. I could live with pulling the brake up 1 click to shut them off but it set the chime off and it drives me crazy.

Stephen06GT
03-19-2014, 04:13 PM
Does anyone know if it can it be done through a tune?

ZR
03-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Great question for Matt D.

Ray721
03-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Nope, I've searched the death out of this when I had my 06. It just simply CANNOT be done on anything 05+. We have to have a non DRL american state sold car/ecu.

Sorry guys :(

Kirk
03-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Wish it was as easy as pulling out the DRL fuse like I did in my 03.... this sucks

Armen
03-19-2014, 07:37 PM
It's rumoured that they can be programmed on and off by a tech in the know via the Smart Junction Box, but this is what the Ford Service Manual says for the 2011 MY Mustang.

http://juchems.com/ServiceManuals/index1edb.html?dir=1017&viewfile=Exterior%20Lighting.pdf

2011 Mustang, 2/2011

Headlamps

The headlamps are controlled by the SJB. The headlamp and multifunction switches are constantly monitored by the SJB. The SJB processes information (such as low beam, high beam or flash-to-pass requests) from the switch inputs, and then outputs voltage to the headlamps accordingly. In the event the SJB detects a fault with any of the headlamp switch inputs, all the exterior lamps are illuminated. There is also a headlamp battery saver feature. This feature turns off the headlamps 10 minutes after the ignition switch is turned off.

417-01-4 Exterior Lighting 417-01-4
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION (Continued)

The DRL are not a programmable parameter for this vehicle.

Arboc
03-19-2014, 08:46 PM
I had a dealer de-programme the DRLs on my '08 F450 :)

ZR
03-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Was it a hassle to get done?

swalt
03-20-2014, 09:11 AM
I think if you are after 07 you might have a chance of it being available in the programming to be enabled or disabled by the dealer. Prior to that you are pretty much SOL. I had the opposite problem. Since my 07 is an American vehicle, I needed to have mine turned on to have it safetied in Canada. Dealer went to turn it on and they did not have an option to do so. I had to have a Ford daytime runner kit installed. If the option is available to the dealer, the toughest part for them is to spend the time connecting their laptop to the ODBII port. It is a simple check box they click.

R3troGT
03-20-2014, 09:48 PM
I never understood why people want to do this?

On my Shelby the Fog Lights are used for DRL. Looks cool to me.

Sterlinghorsegt
03-20-2014, 09:54 PM

Non HID cars DRL's are the headlights. Car looks better with the lights off during the day. Also if I want to throw in an aftermarket hid kit in the stock headlight housing the DRL's will give me problems.

Ray721
03-20-2014, 11:01 PM

Cuz driving around with dim yellow lights in the middle of the day looks like poo.

SteveEH
06-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Nope, I've searched the death out of this when I had my 06. It just simply CANNOT be done on anything 05+. We have to have a non DRL american state sold car/ecu.

Sorry guys :(
I heard there is a way that if you find the same body style and same year car, you can "flash" the PCM on that car onto yours. Not to sure how true it is, that is what the tech told me at the dealer.

I plan on running a set of Retrofits, and the DRL is what is stopping me, rather not have the HIDs on all the time.

Wish this was an option for us, I have seen GTs with HIDs running the fog lights as DRL, but they are far and inbetween.

Non HID cars DRL's are the headlights. Car looks better with the lights off during the day. Also if I want to throw in an aftermarket hid kit in the stock headlight housing the DRL's will give me problems.
This is what happened to me when I installed the HIDs into my 08, they would flicker and go out which would kill the life of them, only way to solve that is to turn on the lights, which if you have the base cluster is a pain since you cannot see the green.

TheMustangShow
06-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Cuz driving around with dim yellow lights in the middle of the day looks like poo.

+1

Glad I don't have them on the GT500.

Armen
06-17-2014, 04:25 PM
I think it looks like crap too. Don't know why they can't come up with a better looking alternative.

SteveEH
06-17-2014, 04:49 PM
I think it looks like crap too. Don't know why they can't come up with a better looking alternative.

Well they did, only took them so many years. The 2013s look good, and run either with the DRL in the headlight, or with the DRL in the headlight and the fogs.

SteveEH
06-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Went to the dealer today and was told it could be done, but they wouldn't do it while everyone was there. Talked to my Tech guy and he told me to come late one night and he would try to disable them. Will let everyone know how it goes for me.