PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Winter Beater/Daily Driver/Commuter

12GrabberGT
02-10-2015, 09:20 PM
I may have to replace my commuter/beater vehicle in the next few months and am considering that an older S197 V6 with manual transmission may be a fun option. Body condition is unimportant nor is the mileage, but what should I be watching out for mechanically on a high km V6?

FABMAN
02-11-2015, 09:52 PM
If you are looking for a winter beater I honestly would look at something more practical. I would vote for another escape or F150. They are reliable, better in snow, similar mileage and more storage for cargo and people. Probably cheaper than a mustang to insure too.

If u are looking for something more fun then look for a VW GTI, or subi WRX or whatever little stick 4 cyl hot hatch you prefer. Personally I like an SUV in the winter but a little hatch is fun too.

ZR
02-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Biggest thing going against the early V6 is poor-ish fuel economy, can drive a GT around cheaper.

12GrabberGT
02-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Biggest thing going against the early V6 is poor-ish fuel economy, can drive a GT around cheaper.

I hear you on that. According to the trip computers, and I know there are a lot of variables in the calculations, my GT and my 3.0 V6 Escape get exactly the same fuel economy.

12GrabberGT
02-11-2015, 11:47 PM
If you are looking for a winter beater I honestly would look at something more practical. I would vote for another escape or F150. They are reliable, better in snow, similar mileage and more storage for cargo and people. Probably cheaper than a mustang to insure too.

If u are looking for something more fun then look for a VW GTI, or subi WRX or whatever little stick 4 cyl hot hatch you prefer. Personally I like an SUV in the winter but a little hatch is fun too.

Yeah, the 4 cylinder stick is fun. My current beater is an 02 Mazda Protégé 2.0, 5-speed sedan. The drive train feels bullet-proof even with over 300,000 km and it's fun to drive, however the sheet metal and the frame are full of rot. The GTI and WRX are good suggestions, although trying to keep the budget around $5k on them could be a challenge.

NickD
02-12-2015, 12:11 AM
I have a mazda tribute v6 awd that I will be selling come spring, body is great no rust, half the km of your current for under your budget

Cancermasher
02-12-2015, 12:26 AM
Yeah, the 4 cylinder stick is fun. My current beater is an 02 Mazda Protégé 2.0, 5-speed sedan. The drive train feels bullet-proof even with over 300,000 km and it's fun to drive, however the sheet metal and the frame are full of rot. The GTI and WRX are good suggestions, although trying to keep the budget around $5k on them could be a challenge.

we just picked up an 08 Ford Taurus X last September after writing off our van thanks to a deer. AWD, gets good mileage for a crossover and room for 6. I like it, the wife loves it. Paid $5900 with 130k. just a suggestion as I too was looking for a mustang daily and opted this route instead.