PDA

View Full Version : Fake Engine Noise Speaker on 2015 2.3 Ecoboost?

12GrabberGT
02-14-2015, 09:38 PM
Say it ain't so Joe. Yesterday I read an online article about how a fake engine noise speaker is installed in some vehicles. I'd never heard of this, but from what I read the sound is connected to the gas pedal. The list in the article included the 2015 Mustang Ecoboost.

I know some folks don't like and delete the sound tube from their GT's (I personally like to hear the engine in the cabin), but a fake noise soundtrack on the Ecoboost 2015's? I am not amused.......

ZR
02-15-2015, 04:02 AM
Guess the powers to be figure it'll add to the overall experience behind the wheel. Does seem odd though.

fast Ed
02-15-2015, 09:59 AM
The reasoning I read about was that the exhaust is very quiet on the car because of the turbo, catalytic, and muffler, so they wanted a bit more "engine" noise audible in the cabin. When I drove one of these cars, I didn't notice anything strange or artificial about the sound.

cheers
Ed

ZR
02-15-2015, 10:12 AM
That makes sense.

tulowd
02-15-2015, 10:26 AM
BMW, Porsche and some other mfrs have been doing this for a couple of years. I don't give a shit about the reasoning, it is a total fail on any car.

Whats next - fake tire smoke or burnt brake pad air fresheners.

ZR
02-15-2015, 10:29 AM
To me, so long as it sounds like it's suppose to be there, I'm good.

True Blue
02-15-2015, 10:36 AM
My buddy's Focus S/T has the "active sound symposer" the sound is tubed into the cabin via the intake manifold and controlled by a valve based off of engine speed, throttle position and gear selection. But after installing a Borla Cat-Back, now all you hear is the REAL exhaust notes!

R3troGT
02-15-2015, 10:41 AM
The new 2015 F150 with the ecoboost engines have the same thing

RedSN
02-15-2015, 10:43 AM
It's a ridiculous sounding idea, but when you think about it....

I wouldn't want to drive it (standard) if I couldn't hear any engine noise. I drive/shift by the sound.

My last Mazda truck was a standard, and had no tach. When it was raining hard I couldn't hear the engine, and I found it very difficult to drive.

tulowd
02-15-2015, 12:08 PM

I wouldn't want to drive it (standard) if I couldn't hear any engine noise. I drive/shift by the sound.

My last Mazda truck was a standard, and had no tach. When it was raining hard I couldn't hear the engine, and I found it very difficult to drive.

My father (may he RIP) taught me to drive a stick based on pull. When the motor stops pulling, its time to shift.

RedSN
02-15-2015, 12:22 PM
well, then its fortunate my car stops pulling at 4000 RPM LOL

tulowd
02-15-2015, 12:37 PM

I didn't realize SN95s had an optional diesel

Tailites
02-15-2015, 12:40 PM
ok this sound thingy?...can you change it to mimic any engine sound?

if you can...I choose Ferrari!

TurboFox
02-15-2015, 12:49 PM
this is pretty lame

Slope
02-15-2015, 12:59 PM

Time to lift the valve covers off and install a TrickFlow drop-in spring kit.

I didn't realize SN95s had an optional diesel

Post of the Day right here.^^^ LOL

WTF
02-15-2015, 01:14 PM
maybe they shoulda just stuck hockey cards in the wheel spokes

ZR
02-15-2015, 01:37 PM
Lettin yer ago outta da bag wit dat one Tim.
I resemble that remark though.

jibbijib
02-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Sometimes I think thats what they did with the Dart because I sometimes hear the sweet sound of that 2.4 litres of fury. But it's probably just cuz the stock exhaust is decently loud.

Id have to drive the ecoboost to form an opinion

jibbijib
02-15-2015, 02:01 PM
BMW, Porsche and some other mfrs have been doing this for a couple of years. I don't give a shit about the reasoning, it is a total fail on any car.

Whats next - fake tire smoke or burnt brake pad air fresheners.

Some of the BMWs sound fuckin sweet. But the cabins are so insulated these days that you can't hear the stock exhaust without it. I think it's a novel feature for cars that sound incredible. If the sound was tunable to sound like other cars that would be badass. A Jaguar V8 sound in a Ford Fiesta would be tits.

12GrabberGT
02-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Apparently I'm behind the curve on this and it's old news. And it's not fake noise, it's "processed".

http://www.carprousa.com/new-mustang-pipes-engine-sound-speakers-car-pro-news

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/131151-ford-admits-to-pumping-fake-engine-noises-through-mustang-speakers-to-make-cars-sound-better

I would love to add the Boss 302 setup to my GT like the picture in this article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/faking-it-engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept

(Don't we all want pedestrians to "duck and cover" when they hear us coming?)

12GrabberGT
02-15-2015, 06:06 PM

I too learned to drive standard without a tach (most standard vehicles didn't have them back then), so I go by sound and pull. My little 4-banger Protege screams at me to let me know when I've pushed it far enough in each gear. I once downshifted my GT in busy traffic because of the sound, but it turned out to be the engine sound from a louder car beside me. Embarrassing.