PDA

View Full Version : Jacks and stands

Uncle Buck
04-04-2015, 01:26 PM
One of my pet peeves is jacking up my car or any unibody and putting it up on stands. I have heard and read all kinds of myths and truths and don't know what's best. Don't jack the corners separately, don't jack by the pumpkin, do jack by the pumpkin, jack by the pinch welds, don't jack by the pinch welds, anywhere on the K member is a no no blah blah blah

I found this diagram. Yellow are bad k member locations, blue are good jacking locations, red and green are good stand locations. Agree/disagree?

What do you guys do? (Please no pics of your 2 and 4 posts lifts. I know they work)

Anyone using pinch weld adapters on your floor jack or stands? Did you make them?

USAWIT2
04-04-2015, 01:52 PM
On my 92 I usually jack up by the blue marks and the stands go under the green if those aren't the pinch weld areas. No idea if its right or wrong

Uncle Buck
04-04-2015, 02:28 PM
I think the green dots are supposed to be the OEM jack notch locations on the pinch welds, at least on the S197 body.

Ghost Rider
04-04-2015, 02:40 PM
who's the idiot that thought putting green and red as both good, was a good idea, when anywhere else in society they are usually oposites, green go good, red stop bad LOL

just an observation about the diagram...not the actually locations suggested :)

tulowd
04-04-2015, 02:53 PM
I would say in general terms you want to obviously jack the vehicle up in the centre of the mass/frame so the K member ctr makes the most sense. Support points should be within or close to the wheelbase points if possible, unless you wanna see how far she can bend in moment, lol.

Logic dictates the vehicle is supported by the 4 tires; so putting the jack stands close to the regular support points makes the most sense to me.

Jack up via centre of K member and pumpkin. Axle stands under K member or frame rails only in the front, under the axle tubes or frame rails on rear.
This is on a Fox. I don't see the point of pinch welds, they can be damaged and can fold over with any side forces.; they are designed for people changing a flat tire on the side of the road with a OEM scissor jack...on gravel :sarcasm:

Uncle Buck
04-04-2015, 04:16 PM
who's the idiot that thought putting green and red as both good, was a good idea, when anywhere else in society they are usually oposites, green go good, red stop bad LOL

just an observation about the diagram...not the actually locations suggested :)

Yeah, thought that too

Ponyryd
04-04-2015, 04:44 PM
For an s197 those look like good points, basically if you can jack or use stands on a solid section of framerail you'll be fine. Pinch welds work too but I very rarely use them since they can fold over and I really hate how that looks, I've straightened more pinch welds than I can remember, lol.

NickD
04-04-2015, 06:45 PM
There are so many pictures and threads on various sites discussing jacking points for the s197 ford has officially said pinch welds and there are tools for doing so.
I agree especially when lowered (I had to drive up wood to get on a 4 post) that its a pain in the ass. For that reason I decided I'm ordering the BMR full length subframe connectors. After talking to Kelly at BMR he said half the people ordering them are doing to as jacking rails so you don't have to worry. I have also seen a pic with them installed and one end jacked up causing 3 wheels to come off the ground