PDA

View Full Version : Styrofoam's New/Custom Exhaust

Styrofoam04
05-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Last season I noticed a rattling from my exhaust. Someone mentioned it might be the heat shield over the Cats, and it wasn’t a big deal. So I went with it. End of the season, the rattling was starting to get to me and since I was getting the car serviced for fall track day, I asked My mechanic to check it out. He took a look and told me that the heat shield is fine and the rattling is coming from inside the muffler probably a baffler or something. It shouldn’t affect my performance.

Fast forward to spring track day. I decide to take that car to an exhaust guy to see what is actually wrong because the rattling sounds like crap. I went to GT Custom Exhaust in Pickering. Great bunch of guys. Young, very excited about what they do. A buddy told me about them and had nothing but good things to say. So I drop the car off

I get a call and he tells me there’s a hole the size of a golf ball in the muffler, and the rattling is because there’s a cracks down the muffler and the weld seams ripped open and cracked. He has a muffler on hand but the second one is going to go soon, and I should get both done.

Okay…Time for a new exhaust!! I’ve always wanted to redo the Catback and get rid of the Mac one and go Magnaflow!

He couldn’t do it in time for the track day, but he did tack wield my current muffler back together… for FREE (my favorite number). I’d still have the hole but at least it wouldn’t rattle.

He ended up putting 22 tack wields. When I brought it back after the track he told me I blew 19 of them!
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/Styrofoam04/Mustang/IMG_4113_zpsoqixiytx.jpg

The thing I liked most about GT Custom Exhaust, is their enthusiasm and passion. It’s something you don’t see anymore. Unfortunately due to their eagerness and my excitement there was a misunderstanding. The product I wanted and what I got where two different things. What he had in mind was not what I thought I was asking for.
I wanted the whole Magnaflow Catback, ordered delivered and installed. while reusing my rolled exhaust tips. What I got was a complete custom exhaust from scratch made from high grade stainless steel with Magnaflow Straight through Mufflers.
I was disappointed at first, but they did do an excellent job and it sounds amazing! They even fixed my Exhaust tips..no longer will i trip over them. They are now centered and even.

Before:
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/Styrofoam04/Mustang/IMG_4112_zpsqsn2wxxy.jpg

After:
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/Styrofoam04/Mustang/IMG_4122_zpsuibr8bjl.jpg

In the end I am very happy with it and the price was perfect! I also learned two things: I really have to control my excitment and I need a new mechanic!

Stephen06GT
05-20-2015, 10:01 AM
If your happy with it, that's all that matters.

Screw
05-20-2015, 10:13 AM
disappointed at first? less likely to leak,rattle and be misaligned than kits

must sound sweet

newbiestangowner
05-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Awesome!! sound clip??

Styrofoam04
05-20-2015, 10:20 AM
I was only disappointed because it wasn't a name brand exhaust I was looking for. But I found out quickly that this is even better!. I love the sound! There are notes that I never heard before, Its like a symphony lol. And it is almost as loud as the hole!! The drone is tamer, which is also good as I can now hear the "old crow" talking...or maybe thats a bad thing. JK

Few more pics
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/Styrofoam04/Mustang/IMG_4118_zpshmb4srne.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/Styrofoam04/Mustang/IMG_4120_zpsqncdl4vs.jpg

jibbijib
05-20-2015, 11:21 AM
I love that. "Yeah he said he wants an off the shelf bolt on exhaust. Give him the greatest looking exhaust we can fab up and make it look and sound better than anything that can be ordered."

Laffs
05-20-2015, 11:50 AM
Name brand exhaust < Custom Built High Quality

At least in my book.

Its like The Keg vs High End Steakhouse , both are going to get the job done pretty well, but one is the best of best.

Looks great, glad you are happy, stainless is the way to go.

KIDAGIN
05-20-2015, 12:56 PM
I have heard that those guys are the best exhaust guys around

Styrofoam04
05-20-2015, 01:40 PM
I love that. "Yeah he said he wants an off the shelf bolt on exhaust. Give him the greatest looking exhaust we can fab up and make it look and sound better than anything that can be ordered."

Haha Pretty Much "We build a work of art and He actually got upset!"

I was upset because I thought wasn't getting the lifetime warrenty that Magnafow offers. Which is what I was concerned about, considering that the last owner threw on a Mac exhaust that rusted to shit. They stated they guarantee their work for life and would take care of me if anything happens. They even put it in writing if I decide to sell.

I have heard that those guys are the best exhaust guys around

Yeah they are pretty cool too. We talked for almost an hour about track days. While we were going on the Thursday they went on the Saturday. So I got the before and after

I kinda have feeling that they went full Ferris Bueller on the car. He let it slip how awesome it was when he gave it some gas and all the heads turned. lol

They're gonna let me know the next time they go to the track.

Scott
05-20-2015, 06:14 PM
I am liking your new exhaust, looks great and clearly custom!

shakin
05-20-2015, 06:31 PM
Ready to Rumble! Cool Joel

Uncle Buck
05-20-2015, 06:35 PM
That's the nicest looking disappointment I've ever seen.

Ponyryd
05-20-2015, 08:59 PM
You may be better off with that setup, I've seen a few Magnaflow systems rust, seems the stainless may be low grade or too thin? Of course these were winter driven cars but still, I was shocked to see it more than once since they offer the lifetime warranty. Looks like they did a great job and that's all that really matters.

AKAFISH
05-20-2015, 09:13 PM
Nice exhaust! And great to hear you had a good experience........I went to Matt at GT custom exhaust and he did excellent work on my 95 GT exhaust, great bunch of guys!

Ghost Rider
05-21-2015, 03:26 AM
it looks great!!

however, what I don't like it about it is that it's all welded together...creates a friggin nightmare for anyone that has to work on your car and needs to remove the exhaust for something, most likely have to drop the axle on this one as it looks like it's even welded to the mufflers and the intermediate pipes! Then trying to get it straight and lined up again is going to be even worse with absolutely no adjustment...I could never have a welded exhaust it (yes I know I adjust mine and switch mine out way more than the average person) however these are just things I think about...

but it does look nice and glad it sounds good :)

Styrofoam04
05-21-2015, 10:00 AM
^^ thats a good point I never thought of that. I'll find out, I'm going there tomorrow

ZR
05-21-2015, 10:20 AM
On a side note, only system that comes fitted and with the correct hardware / clamps to readily separate, SLP. If you have no plans for a T arm or Panhard, good to go as is, does look nicely done. Even if you did, worst case scenario, installer cuts the tails off and your return to GT to have em modded n reinstalled.
Lifetime warranty many mfg's offer on exhaust n springs (Eibach!!!) are not worth the paper it's printed on. Be happy you got a high quality job for the right price n call it a day.

Styrofoam04
05-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks Rick. What about SFC's I'd like to get that done in the near future. Would the exhaust be in the way? I am very happy with it and cant wait for the next cruise or track day!

jibbijib
05-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Ya I think I'll be visiting GT exhaust in the future

Ponyryd
05-21-2015, 11:15 PM
Thanks Rick. What about SFC's I'd like to get that done in the near future. Would the exhaust be in the way? I am very happy with it and cant wait for the next cruise or track day!

Not in the way for sfc's, not in the way for anything really, I've never had to remove a muffler or tailpipe to service a mustang, they don't block anything. The only reason to remove it is if you wanna go IRS, anything else just unhook the flanges at the mid pipes, it will move to clear whatever you need to work on. If it's all adjusted its better to be welded, no chance it will move. I've had to adjust countless catback systems, often because they hit the axle or fuel tank shield, or because the band clamps don't hold tight enough, blah, blah, better to have it fitted once and be done.

Styrofoam04
05-22-2015, 09:13 AM
Awesome Thanks

Screw
05-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Joel u dun good
My Borla cat back , have been adjusted countless times , tacked , leak at bands and tails are still off , I was gonna pop in to GT to see if they can straighten it out but kinda losing interest in the truck lol

Styrofoam04
05-22-2015, 10:00 AM
I didn't ever think that there would be problems with exhausts kits. I figured like most, that the kits are deisgned and engineered to fit and made for max preformance. Espically since the prices are so high

Screw
05-22-2015, 10:04 AM
$1200 bucks later I should off gone there first test "fit & hear" a muffler and let them do the rest , live n learn I guess

Ghost Rider
05-22-2015, 10:45 AM
I change my exhaust set up several times a season, welding is not an option...no reason I band clamp should ever move on you if you have the correct ones and didn't let a little girl put it on for you, I've never had my exhaust move on me...I litterly have MM clearance in some spots in the back due to all my suspension shit back there, I've never had my exhaust move on me and I drive the piss out of the car at the track as some know...

Maybe ZR is right...maybe I'm just spoiled cause I have SLP...I've never owned another system so I don't know...as far as quality, adjustability & fitment, this system is second to none...

on a side note...if you take your car to the track a lot, the excessive heat through the exhaust can expand and contract, so yes even if your exhaust is welded it can still move on you and if it does, your not making a simple adjustment to fix it if it's all welded together...just my .02

tulowd
05-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Almost all premade systems have and always will need tweaking at the very least, especially if your car is lowered, has a PHB or T/A, or big tailpipes. The only systems out of the 10 or so I've had on my Foxes that didn't leak or rattle were welded. Logged more miles at the track in my old Fox than most people put on their DD in a year.

No experience with SLP, looks like good stuff, costs plenty of course.

My latest setup started off as premade flow tubes, tailpipes, cats and mufflers. By the time the stuff fit properly it would have been better to just have it all custom made by Matt. I also spent the extra dough and had real V band clamps welded in place so the major centre section can drop out easily.
Matt has also come up with a double slip fitting that only uses a conventional band clamp (not the turbo style like I have).
Also, there are several grades of stainless steel - which is actually a misnomer. Stainless 316L is what we use at work - it is nautical rated, aka for cruise ships etc.
3 series is the better quality tubing I believe. The 409 series stuff is nowhere near as durable, but still better than aluminized or galv steel.

Matt at GT Customs has epic welding skills; have heard that commentary from plenty of seasoned veterans of the fabrication world who have seen his work.

For my next build I am going to have him craft a set of stepped headers and a full oval system.....out if Ti if I win the lottery!

Ponyryd
05-22-2015, 07:02 PM
^^The SLP system on my Bullitt fit well, never moved and seemed very well made. I have adjusted and changed clamps on Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Dynomax, Bassani, and Mac, the clamps they include simply aren't strong enough to hold. A custom system is win-win IMO.

Screw
05-22-2015, 07:26 PM
There's another SLP fan on here ;)

Ghost Rider
05-22-2015, 07:55 PM
SLP uses 304 Stainless Steel, not sure how that compares with 316L but I've nver had any corrosion so far and one system I run all winter long (trans am)

I assume it's better than 409 though?

Ponyryd
05-22-2015, 09:27 PM
Not sure but I had an '89 coupe with a Magnaflow and it was winter driven before I got it, there wasn't a shiny spot on it except the tips, lol. I also had a Dynomax stainless system on my old ram, was rusting everywhere, even split the edge of the muffler right open, I welded it shut and it was good for another year or so until I sold it.

tulowd
05-22-2015, 11:06 PM
From Wiki:
There are over 150 grades of stainless steel, of which fifteen are most commonly used

Stainless steel is used for jewelry and watches with 316L being the type commonly used for such applications. It can be re-finished by any jeweler and will not oxidize or turn black.

The Gateway Arch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_Arch) (St. Louis) is clad entirely in stainless steel: 886 tons (804 metric tonnes) of 0.25 in (6.4 mm) plate, #3 finish, type 304 stainless steel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel