PDA

View Full Version : Airbag Recall Info

bluetoy
05-25-2015, 02:09 PM
If you are like me then you shudder at the thought of letting anyone else work on your car. I looked into this recall for the drivers airbag. Turns out it's easy and cheap enough to do it yourself. Took 20 minutes. mostly because I took 5 minutes to get the stupid fuse box cover off. Here's the instructions. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM469524/RCMN-14V802-0185.pdf The part number for the thing is 5R3Z-63043813-A It costs $15.28 list price. You need a 5/16 socket to change it. The same socket you need to remove the airbag from the steering wheel. My dealer mentioned that Ford is only allowing them to order 2 per week. Even comes in a box with a return shipping label in case you feel like sending the old one back. It was worth the money for me to have peace of mind.

92redragtop
05-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Is there a way to find out which Ford/Lincoln models and years are affected? I assume this is the Takata recall?

Stephen06GT
05-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Ol Paint is going in this Thursday for an airbag recall. Richard, I took the VIN and went to the Ford website to find out if it applied.

Amsoil Guy
05-25-2015, 04:32 PM
or you can call your local dealer with your VIN. Your LS is not affected by the recall.

KIDAGIN
05-28-2015, 03:13 PM
Called the dealership Tuesday and they said they would order the part and to come in at 10 am Monday to have it installed

JonsMustang
05-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Check your VIN here:

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html

allicedout
05-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Thanks^^

I just found out my 2011 needs "DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT"

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
05-28-2015, 03:45 PM
The recall has been expanded to include 2005-2014 Mustang. The full details of this have not been announced to dealers, so far we only have the info on doing the 2005-2008 cars that were originally involved.

So be patient, it could be several days (or even weeks) before Ford corporate finalizes the details on it, and once they do the parts may be in short supply for a while. Right now there is a weekly order restriction on them ... dealers can only order 2 to 6 per week depending on their business volume.

Any people that would like to get theirs done at Parkway, give us a call or email, and we will do our best to get you looked after.

thanks,
Ed N.

Ray721
05-28-2015, 06:28 PM
Fuck! My VIN is on the list. My ZL1 neighbor must never find out lmao!!!

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
05-29-2015, 10:25 AM
Info on the Ford media site:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/05/28/ford-expands-recall-for-vehicles-containing-certain-takata--airb.html

Mellow Yellow
05-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Dealer completed this in early May.
Painless.

KIDAGIN
06-01-2015, 01:08 PM
Got mine done tday at dealer 20 mins easy peasy

newbiestangowner
06-01-2015, 04:00 PM
-called today dealership where I bought my car,sounded on the phone like she didn't know what I was talking about- then she said she has to check. After confirming she says yes u r right- but we have no information on it so call I don't know sometime next week- huh??? inspires confidence when they work on my car.

KIDAGIN
06-01-2015, 04:04 PM
Think I would try another dealer I called they checked my vin, ordered the part and 4 days later installed

JonsMustang
06-03-2015, 11:44 AM
"Millions of owners of vehicles equipped with Takata air bags may have to get repairs done more than once because of shortages of replacement parts and uncertainty over whether repair parts already installed are defective, auto industry officials and safety regulators said on Tuesday."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/02/autos-takata-congress-idUSL1N0YO0SY20150602

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
06-03-2015, 11:58 AM
-called today dealership where I bought my car,sounded on the phone like she didn't know what I was talking about- then she said she has to check. After confirming she says yes u r right- but we have no information on it so call I don't know sometime next week- huh??? inspires confidence when they work on my car.

Dealers only have the information on the repair for the original campaign on the pre-2009 cars. The expanded recall covering up to 2014 models has no parts ordering or repair information for the dealers yet, it's TBA from Ford. So she was correct, they can't help you yet, but maybe she didn't do a great job of explaining the full situation as it stands.

newbiestangowner
06-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Dealers only have the information on the repair for the original campaign on the pre-2009 cars. The expanded recall covering up to 2014 models has no parts ordering or repair information for the dealers yet, it's TBA from Ford. So she was correct, they can't help you yet, but maybe she didn't do a great job of explaining the full situation as it stands.

Oh- i see,
Thanks for taking the time to clear that up.

NickD
06-26-2015, 04:08 PM
So went to my local Ford dealer to enquire about getting this recall completed
Service guy first said he didn't think I was part of it (05 gt) then said oh yes it is but its brand new and you will get a letter from the mto confirming. He did it in a very blow me off kind of way.

For those that have got it done where did you go and did you need to bring anything other then your vin?
I will be trying another dealership later in the week.

newbiestangowner
06-26-2015, 04:31 PM
So went to my local Ford dealer to enquire about getting this recall completed
Service guy first said he didn't think I was part of it (05 gt) then said oh yes it is but its brand new and you will get a letter from the mto confirming. He did it in a very blow me off kind of way.

For those that have got it done where did you go and did you need to bring anything other then your vin?
I will be trying another dealership later in the week.

Hey Nick- I called Terrace Ford and still yet to have it done- just was told to keep calling

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
06-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Ford corporate has still not given any instructions to dealers on the repair for the vehicles in the expanded recall. But a 2005 Mustang should be involved in the original "14B09" campaign to replace the airbag inflator ... have you had that done yet Nick or no? If you like, send me a p.m. with your VIN and I will see what is showing.

The new recall, "15S21", is for all S197 cars. So even if you get 14B09 completed, the 15S21 will still be open until a repair is developed for that. From the Ford advance bulletin we have for 15S21:

Some vehicles included in 15S21 are also included in 14B09. The repair parts for 15S21 have not yet been developed and will be the subject of a future announcement.

As soon as Ford issues any more information on this, I will update the thread.

NickD
06-26-2015, 06:02 PM
I left the paper he gave me with the numbers downstairs but I believe both of those were on it to be done.
I have not had anything done on the car yet.

Black07GT
06-26-2015, 07:49 PM
I had both front airbags done for 2 separate recalls (including the TAKATA one) at the same time. I had Blackstock Ford in Orangeville do it for me. Each one takes a couple of hours, so I left the car with them for the day.

KIDAGIN
06-26-2015, 08:09 PM
I got one done no problem here in Pickering..Forumla Ford

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
07-22-2015, 08:50 AM
To update this a bit ... here's the text from a sample copy of the letter that owners will be receiving from Ford if they have not already, this is the newer recall that applies to 2005-2014 Mustangs:

Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited
Ford du Canada Limitée
P.O. Box 2000
Oakville, Ontario
L6K 0C8

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX C 15S21

J. SAMPLE MAIL DATE
123 MAIN STREET
ANYCITY, ON A1A 1A1

This notice is sent to you under the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act of Canada.

Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited (Ford) has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle, with the Vehicle Identification Number shown above.

We apologize for this situation and want to assure you that, with your assistance, we will correct this condition. Our commitment, together with your dealer, is to provide you with the highest level of service and support.

What is the issue?

In certain vehicles, the front driver side air bag inflator housing may rupture and deploy abnormally in the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver side frontal airbag. An inflator rupture could result in metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.

What will Ford and your dealer do?

Ford is working closely with its suppliers to produce parts for this repair. When parts become available for Safety Recall 15S21, Ford will notify you via mail to schedule a service appointment with your dealer to have the driver’s frontal airbag inflator replaced free of charge (parts and labour). Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

What should you do?

When parts are available, Ford will send a letter to inform you that parts are available and to contact your dealer to schedule a repair.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

National Service Operations
FORD MOTOR COMPANY OF CANADA, Limited

bluetoy
07-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Does this mean that cars already done under the 14B09 recall will have to go get it done again? I never got a recall notice for the first one so I doubt I'll get one for this one either.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
07-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Yes, the 15S21 is a separate program, affects all S197s. My own 07 GT has had 14B09 done, and when I check the VIN number right now on the Ford OASIS site, 15S21 comes up as an open recall for the car.

It sounds like it will be a while before they have the parts available to complete this recall. When further updates come from Ford Canada I will post them here.

ZR
07-22-2015, 11:05 PM
Thanks Ed.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
11-02-2015, 08:58 AM
For the S197 owners who might be wondering about this recall, still no new information from Ford about the parts availability. Hopefully by the time the cars are coming out of hibernation in the spring, parts will be on the shelves to get everyone looked after.

thanks,
Ed

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
01-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Updating this thread for the new year ... we still have no additional info from FoMoCo on this recall, so owners will have to continue to be patient for the fix.

As mentioned above, it would be great if the repair procedure and parts become available within the next few months so that everyone could get looked after as soon as the cars are coming out for the season.

thanks,
Ed N.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
05-25-2016, 09:03 AM
I saw a mention on the S197 forum last night that some U.S. owners have received a letter from Ford stating that parts are becoming available for 15S21. As of this morning, we still have no new info on the Ford Canada dealer website for this recall. Hopefully it gets updated this week with news that I can pass along.

thanks,
Ed N.

TheMustangShow
05-25-2016, 09:30 AM
The delay is Total FAIL on the part of FORD.

ZR
05-25-2016, 09:48 AM
Being it's a safety recall, delay seems excessive.
Do appreciate your keeping everyone up to speed Ed, know your just the messenger.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
05-25-2016, 10:58 AM
The delay is Total FAIL on the part of FORD.

It's not just Ford, there are a bunch of OEMs waiting for the new supply to come from Takata.

TheMustangShow
05-25-2016, 12:32 PM
It's not just Ford, there are a bunch of OEMs waiting for the new supply to come from Takata.

No other Company makes Airbags?

It's a paramount safety issue and Ford, it's a joke that FORD would even continue to do business with Takata.

The Liability exposure for FORD and the other Car Cos. during the recall delay must be huge, that said, I'm sure Takata have taken out huge insurance policies with the likes of AON, to financially protect there customers in the event of lawsuits/payouts stemming from any more injures or deaths due to their lethal Airbags.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
05-25-2016, 01:01 PM
I believe there are only 3 or 4 manufacturers in the world for airbags. It's a bit difficult for one or several of them to suddenly take and fill an order for 10s of millions of bags in addition to their regular orders. From what I've heard the other manufacturers besides Takata are attempting to help cover some of the production shortfall.

Long story short, if Takata and Honda had not glossed over the data for several years before finally admitting an issue, this could all have been dealt with much sooner. Honda was the largest buyer of Takata airbags.

allicedout
05-25-2016, 01:08 PM
Been on a few US sites and it seems some owners are starting to get letters to bring there cars in for the recall.

NickD
05-25-2016, 01:50 PM
I saw the posts on s197 forum last night as well. I was going to reach out to you Ed and see if you had news. I have not got the first one done yet. Is it still recommended to do both or does the second now cover the first as well?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

FABMAN
05-26-2016, 07:35 AM
Both my cars are affected by this, and both manufacturers are waiting for parts.

ZR
05-26-2016, 07:39 AM
I believe there are only 3 or 4 manufacturers in the world for airbags. It's a bit difficult for one or several of them to suddenly take and fill an order for 10s of millions of bags in addition to their regular orders. From what I've heard the other manufacturers besides Takata are attempting to help cover some of the production shortfall.

Long story short, if Takata and Honda had not glossed over the data for several years before finally admitting an issue, this could all have been dealt with much sooner. Honda was the largest buyer of Takata airbags.

Yes all too easy to toss Ford under the bus.

Blackmare
05-26-2016, 07:58 AM
My wife's Jeep Renegade is going in today for the recall. I'll be glad to get it done finally.

allicedout
05-26-2016, 11:55 AM
My wife's Jeep Renegade is going in today for the recall. I'll be glad to get it done finally.

How long did you have to wait Scott?

Blackmare
05-26-2016, 01:55 PM
How long did you have to wait Scott?

It seems like the recall notice has been on my desk for two years Hem. Really long time anyway.

JonsMustang
05-26-2016, 03:48 PM
A grenade waiting to explode. Wondering if someone dies from the shrapnel's, if the family can sue Takata and Ford for millions.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
06-07-2016, 09:53 AM
As of yesterday Ford of Canada gave us the latest bulletin and info related to this recall. As mentioned, the 13-14 Mustang airbag is a slightly different unit, and we are being told 4th quarter of 2016 before those are available. The parts for repairing the 2005-2012 are available for the dealers to order now, looks like a fair amount of stock available at the warehouse, but we are limited to ordering 10 pieces per week.

So for those of you who have been waiting, go ahead and contact your servicing dealer again, and they should be able to get you looked after now.

Monera3v
06-07-2016, 01:33 PM
As of yesterday Ford of Canada gave us the latest bulletin and info related to this recall. As mentioned, the 13-14 Mustang airbag is a slightly different unit, and we are being told 4th quarter of 2016 before those are available. The parts for repairing the 2005-2012 are available for the dealers to order now, looks like a fair amount of stock available at the warehouse, but we are limited to ordering 10 pieces per week.

So for those of you who have been waiting, go ahead and contact your servicing dealer again, and they should be able to get you looked after now.

Thank you for the info!

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
06-16-2016, 02:24 PM
Bumping the thread for this week in case any of the S197 owners here missed the new info ...

If you have a 2005 - 2012, the part is available now to complete the 15S21 recall. If you have a 2013 - 2014, Q4 of this year is the expected timing for the replacement part.

Blackmare
06-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Thanks Ed. Did miss that first time around. I'll have to see when I can get my '06 in.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
06-16-2016, 03:54 PM
If you deal with Woodstock Ford, they show a few pieces in stock, but those might already be assigned to customers. They can order at least 10 per week, so it should be no problem for those folks to get you looked after.

Blackmare
06-16-2016, 03:55 PM
Thanks Ed. Appreciate the info.

TheMustangShow
06-16-2016, 04:40 PM
Mine goes in next week for the A/B repair, been a long wait.

AKAFISH
06-16-2016, 06:22 PM
I called Fraser Ford last week for my 2006 GT and asked them about it and gave my VIN# and they said they didn't have any.......

fast Ed
06-16-2016, 07:09 PM
I'd suggest trying them again this week. Part ordering info is available to the dealers, and the warehouse in Brampton that services with overnight deliveries has 1000+ of these in stock.

cheers
Ed

AKAFISH
06-16-2016, 11:29 PM
Thx! I will give them a call tomorrow

AKAFISH
06-17-2016, 09:48 PM
Update: I called Fraser again and still the same thing that they didn't have any info and then told me to call Ford Canada, so I called them and they told me they have the passenger side airbags but not the drivers side..........

fast Ed
06-18-2016, 12:11 AM
Wow, I don't like to put down the efforts of other dealers, but you need to speak to someone else there or try a different store. 15S21 updated info has been available to Canadian dealers for almost 2 weeks now, it is for the driver's side airbag inflator. There is no passenger side airbag recall on Mustangs, that is on some Rangers.

From the recall info dated June 6:

Before demonstrating or delivering 2005-2006 Ford GT and 2005-2012 Mustang vehicles, dealers are to replace the driver airbag inflator and return the original inflator for analysis. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
NOTE: All vehicles that were previously repaired under Customer Satisfaction Program 14B09 will also require driver airbag inflator replacement, as directed by this safety recall.

Lots of parts available for this recall now as I mentioned. With them being an SVT dealer and presumably having a fair amount of S197 customers, I'd have guessed that they would have been on top of this already.

bluetoy
06-18-2016, 07:23 AM
Lots of parts available for this recall now as I mentioned. With them being an SVT dealer and presumably having a fair amount of S197 customers, I'd have guessed that they would have been on top of this already.

Yep. I emailed my dealer Friday morning and they said the parts will be in today.

AKAFISH
06-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Thanks Fast ED!
I am on Vacation next week so when I get back I will call another dealer and hopefully, they can help me out.....will let you know happens.....thx again

Rino
06-21-2016, 03:42 PM
So went in to the Ford dealer to get my mud lights and rear diff seal looked at to be replaced under warranty.The parts will be here tomorrow.The service guy asked me if I wanted to do the air bag recall,while the car was in .I said sure. Funny thing is ,that yesterday ,I had received the recall notice .It stated that the airbags won't be available for at least 6 months.So getting everything I can possibly think of fixed before warranty expires,was a good thought.I can drive feeling a little bit safer ,knowing that a piece of metal wont go through my head in an accident.lol

blueshelby
06-21-2016, 07:30 PM
That's so true I got the letter today telling me they'll notify me the last quarter months of year cause the airbag is not available yet. Ha!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G-ForceJunkie
06-21-2016, 09:22 PM
So went in to the Ford dealer to get my mud lights and rear diff seal looked at to be replaced under warranty.The parts will be here tomorrow.The service guy asked me if I wanted to do the air bag recall,while the car was in .I said sure. Funny thing is ,that yesterday ,I had received the recall notice .It stated that the airbags won't be available for at least 6 months.So getting everything I can possibly think of fixed before warranty expires,was a good thought.I can drive feeling a little bit safer ,knowing that a piece of metal wont go through my head in an accident.lol
I'd advise double-checking with the dealer that they have the right part for your car. My wife's 2014 they said they had the airbag in stock....so they installed it. 2 days later got a call saying they installed the wrong part and to bring the car back in so they could put the original airbag back in. Hard to believe something like that can happen with an airbag...

ZR
06-21-2016, 11:43 PM
^ OMG, now that could have been serious.

fast Ed
06-22-2016, 12:33 AM
Exactly ... 2013 - 2014 recall part is NOT available until Q4 of this year as I mentioned earlier in the thread. If your dealer tries to do it on your car, ask them to reread the recall info!

cheers
Ed

94stang87
06-22-2016, 12:57 AM
^ hey Ed does parkway have any in stock ? And how long does the install take ? Something i can wait around to get done
My car is a 12 GT , thanks

fast Ed
06-22-2016, 06:26 AM
We have lots in stock. Actual time to do the job is less than an hour I believe. However I'm not sure if they are taking waiter appointments for this one. If you like, send me a p.m. to the Parkway Ford account with your VIN and desired appt time, and I can check for you.

Rino
06-22-2016, 06:35 AM
yah I know it sounds too good to be true.Ill update the post,when I get everything done.I also want to make sure that they have the right part.

RedSN
06-22-2016, 12:57 PM
I hope after all this they make explosive devices in cars illegal.

ttpinto
06-22-2016, 04:46 PM
That's so true I got the letter today telling me they'll notify me the last quarter months of year cause the airbag is not available yet. Ha!!

I got the same letter for my 2013

G-ForceJunkie
06-22-2016, 07:58 PM
^ OMG, now that could have been serious.
Ford HQ got a letter about that one...inexcusable that that can happen with an airbag. I've asked Ford to cover an independent assessment (alternate Ford dealer) of the airbags currently installed in the vehicle, because our dealer couldn't even confidently tell us if it was driver or passenger they replaced. Won't be going back. The whole story would make your blood boil.

I should've checked here to see what Ed said first!

ZR
06-22-2016, 09:08 PM
Ford HQ got a letter about that one...inexcusable that that can happen with an airbag. I've asked Ford to cover an independent assessment (alternate Ford dealer) of the airbags currently installed in the vehicle, because our dealer couldn't even confidently tell us if it was driver or passenger they replaced. Won't be going back. The whole story would make your blood boil.

I should've checked here to see what Ed said first!

Given how the whole thing transpired, prudent to have someone else check to be sure it's at least back to where it started. Add in they don't know for sure what was touched, good grief.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
06-23-2016, 02:42 PM
If any club members in the Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge / Guelph area (or in between K-W and the Brampton / Mississauga area) would like to get their recall completed but maybe have trouble with getting their car into a dealership for a day, send me a p.m. or email and we can try to make some arrangements. Typically I could meet you one evening during the week, and then swap vehicles so that you would have my Parkway demo to use for the day while the recall gets done on your Mustang.

Offering this so that the club members on the west side of the GTA can get the recall completed with confidence.

thanks,
Ed

Blackmare
06-23-2016, 02:43 PM
Talk about amazing customer service!

Rino
06-23-2016, 04:36 PM
:thumbsup:

bluetoy
06-23-2016, 08:16 PM
Here's the pics of the new inflator compared to the old (new from last recall 14B09) inflator. Latest one has the holes in it and the white sticker. Part number is 5R3Z-63043B13-C, I paid 41.04 for it. Yes I know it's free but my time to wait at dealer and the worry that the dealer will fuck up my car is worth 41 bux to me. I may submit my bill to Ford and try to get a refund... i really don't care though.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h302/Bluetoy/airbag%202_zpsi3gd8c7u.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h302/Bluetoy/airbag%201_zpsedsawu52.jpg

Gr8Stang
06-23-2016, 09:02 PM
Update: I called Fraser again and still the same thing that they didn't have any info and then told me to call Ford Canada, so I called them and they told me they have the passenger side airbags but not the drivers side..........

Got my Ford Letter today informing of the part now being available and to call the dealer for an appt. Called Fraser, spoke to Peter Rok, Service Advisor and I've been put on the wait list. Said they are doing about 10 a week. They will call me when the part arrives and can then schedule appt. to get the work done. Estimated I should be able to get it done in 2 weeks, based on the people ahead of me on the list.

ZR
06-23-2016, 09:54 PM
Rock Star moment Ed.

allicedout
06-24-2016, 09:33 AM
If any club members in the Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge / Guelph area (or in between K-W and the Brampton / Mississauga area) would like to get their recall completed but maybe have trouble with getting their car into a dealership for a day, send me a p.m. or email and we can try to make some arrangements. Typically I could meet you one evening during the week, and then swap vehicles so that you would have my Parkway demo to use for the day while the recall gets done on your Mustang.

Offering this so that the club members on the west side of the GTA can get the recall completed with confidence.

thanks,
Ed

Can't beat that kind of service now can you? Thanks Ed see you Sunday!!

JonsMustang
06-24-2016, 03:20 PM
Would that swap be a 2016 GT350? *wink wink *nudge nudge :drool:

thanks,
Ed

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
06-24-2016, 05:23 PM
Unfortunately not, even the owners aren't taking those as demos! I typically get a Focus or Fiesta since it's just myself and with the length of commute I like to have something that is reasonable for fuel consumption. After making a special request a few weeks ago when my previous demo was coming due to be parked from the accrued mileage, I found myself driving a Tangerine Scream Focus ST like this one that Jalopnik had last year:

AKAFISH
06-26-2016, 09:34 PM
Got my Ford Letter today informing of the part now being available and to call the dealer for an appt. Called Fraser, spoke to Peter Rok, Service Advisor and I've been put on the wait list. Said they are doing about 10 a week. They will call me when the part arrives and can then schedule appt. to get the work done. Estimated I should be able to get it done in 2 weeks, based on the people ahead of me on the list.

Thx. Just got home from vacation and just got my letter from Ford. Going to call Fraser Ford and make appt.

AKAFISH
06-27-2016, 10:21 PM
Update to the above: same as Gr8stang : they took my info and number and going to call me when the new units are in as they said Ford limits them to a certain number per week, ....hopefully the wait is not too long.....

JonsMustang
06-28-2016, 02:42 PM
No luck for someone living in North York eh?
Unfortunately not, even the owners aren't taking those as demos! I typically get a Focus or Fiesta since it's just myself and with the length of commute I like to have something that is reasonable for fuel consumption. After making a special request a few weeks ago when my previous demo was coming due to be parked from the accrued mileage, I found myself driving a Tangerine Scream Focus ST like this one that Jalopnik had last year:

allicedout
06-29-2016, 07:33 AM
Got my car all squared up. Thanks Ed!!

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
06-29-2016, 08:24 AM
No luck for someone living in North York eh?

Jon, if you're able to get the car over to me in Caledon, I could bring to Parkway from there. Send me a p.m. or email if you would like to make arrangements to do that.

thanks,
Ed

Rino
06-29-2016, 01:11 PM
ok all parts are in and I go in Tuesday July 5th, to get everything done including the airbag recall.:highfive:

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
06-29-2016, 02:06 PM
Rino, the part is NOT available for 2013-2014, at this point all the dealer could do is reinstall your original inflator.

This is from the Ford recall info to the dealers dated June 6, there has been no new info since then:

NOTE: Parts and repair instructions for 2013-2014 Mustang vehicles are expected to be available in the 4th quarter of 2016.

Ray721
06-29-2016, 03:14 PM
I just got a letter saying they aren't ready yet for my car and should be good to go at the end of the year.

JonsMustang
06-29-2016, 03:18 PM
Ah, mines a 13 GT. Guess I'll have to wait as well.
Jon, if you're able to get the car over to me in Caledon, I could bring to Parkway from there. Send me a p.m. or email if you would like to make arrangements to do that.

thanks,
Ed

Rino, the part is NOT available for 2013-2014, at this point all the dealer could do is reinstall your original inflator.

This is from the Ford recall info to the dealers dated June 6, there has been no new info since then:

NOTE: Parts and repair instructions for 2013-2014 Mustang vehicles are expected to be available in the 4th quarter of 2016.

Gr8Stang
06-29-2016, 08:49 PM

Ended up calling Marigold Ford in Whitby to see if they could do any better and low and behold they had one! Got it installed yesterday. Pays to call around.

Rino
06-30-2016, 07:27 AM

ok thnks I will look into it

Monera3v
06-30-2016, 03:00 PM
Looks like Honda is also affected by this.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
06-30-2016, 03:00 PM
Honda has the largest number of vehicles with airbag recalls because they were using Takata as a supplier exclusively for several years. Almost all of the OEMs have used Takata as a supplier at some point, and have affected vehicles.

Rino
07-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Went to the dealer ( Cruickshank Ford) and got my Mud Lights,Rear diff seal ,and Air Bag replaced. I asked them if they had more airbags for the recall.They said tell your friends.so I am. The rear diff seal was the main reason I went. There is a service bulletin,but no recall. I would check to see if yours is leaking or not. There was no charge and all done under warranty. Great service from Mike (service agent),and the mechanic.

AKAFISH
07-05-2016, 08:36 PM
had my car in on Saturday at Fraser.......recall finally completed.....

Rino
07-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Just to clarify ,my GT is a 2014 premium with the performance package.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
07-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Rino (and anyone else that has a 2013-2014), here is a sample of the first part of the owner letter that you should be receiving. Date on the info to us was June 6 2016:

Ford du Canada Limitée
P.O. Box 2000
Oakville, Ontario
L6K 0C8

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX C 15S21- Followup_2013-2014MY

J. SAMPLE MAIL DATE
123 MAIN STREET
ANYCITY, ON A1A 1A1

In July 2015, Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited (Ford) sent you a letter announcing Safety Recall 15S21 (Driver Airbag Inflator Replacement) on your vehicle, with the VIN shown above. This letter is to inform you that we are expecting the newly designed driver airbag module for your vehicle to become available in the fourth quarter of this year. Ford will notify you when the part is available to schedule a repair date with your dealer.

So anyone who has had an inflator replaced in a 2013-2014, I would encourage you to contact that dealer again to discuss the situation ... FORD does NOT have parts released yet to repair the 2013-2014 models.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
07-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Apparently more than just the dealership that Rino goes to have been putting the earlier inflator in the 2013-2014 cars by mistake, Ford Canada issued a bulletin about it today. So if you happen to have your 2013-2014 Mustang in at a dealership and they tell you they are going to complete the recall, ask them to re-read the instructions!!

Here is the bulletin we received today:

NOTE: 15S21 CANNOT BE COMPLETED ON 2013-2014 MUSTANG AT THIS TIME.

2013-2014 Mustang vehicles require a different part than the one required for 2006-2012 Mustang vehicles. Parts for 2013-2014 Mustang vehicles are expected to be available late Q4 2016.

The inability to complete repairs on 2013-2014 Mustang vehicles due to the lack of parts was indicated in:

· 15S21 Full Bulletin on page 2

· 15S21 Attachment II on page 2

· 15S21 Technical Instructions page 1

All repairs completed for 2013-2014 Mustang vehicles with incorrect parts regardless of repair date will be denied. There will be no exceptions allowed.

bluetoy
07-12-2016, 05:27 PM
And people wonder why I did this recall on my own..

Rino
08-09-2016, 01:42 PM
Well the dealer called me .They want me to bring in the mustang.Ford has told them they have to put the old air bag back in.They put the 2012 and under air bag in .2013/2014's are different.I asked them if they had the right part,and that Ford was specific on the part #. They said yes.I'm not happy.I was driving around with a worse airbag than the one that was originally in the car.

ZR
08-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Thankfully nothing happened.
Ed, appreciate your keeping us all up to speed.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
08-09-2016, 03:12 PM
Glad to hear that the dealer has taken the time to contact you and arrange to get your car back in. With the sheer number of recalls and permutations of parts for the various models and years that we have on the go at any one time, unfortunately stuff like this can happen even though it shouldn't.

G-ForceJunkie
08-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Well the dealer called me .They want me to bring in the mustang.Ford has told them they have to put the old air bag back in.They put the 2012 and under air bag in .2013/2014's are different.I asked them if they had the right part,and that Ford was specific on the part #. They said yes.I'm not happy.I was driving around with a worse airbag than the one that was originally in the car.
Unless you're more successful than I, a nicely written letter to Ford will get you a nice canned response.

NickD
08-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Ed I was able to get my airbag recall completed on my 05, but do have a question in regards to the 13/14 not being the same. I have a 2013 gt500 steering wheel in my car, I kept the same airbag and cover and updated the center horse logo with the updated one. Could this effect the functionality of my airbag or did they change the airbag itself in 13_14 that requires a different inflator.

I have also heard for the early s197 that the passenger airbag is being recalled, any timeline?

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
08-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Nick we don't have part numbers on the original inflators alone, just the complete airbags, so I can't really offer a valid comment on that.

No solid info yet on the passenger side recall, just the advance notification and the owner letters will be in the mail soon. From what I've seen online, the passenger side bags were from a different supplier, not Takata, but they have seen a few with the same shrapnel issues.

Rino
08-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Ed I was able to get my airbag recall completed on my 05, but do have a question in regards to the 13/14 not being the same. I have a 2013 gt500 steering wheel in my car, I kept the same airbag and cover and updated the center horse logo with the updated one. Could this effect the functionality of my airbag or did they change the airbag itself in 13_14 that requires a different inflator.

I have also heard for the early s197 that the passenger airbag is being recalled, any timeline?The letter will be written. I think this situation , in particular will get something in return.I asked if it was the right part and they said yes.Ford told them to get my car in and reinstall the old one.This is a total safety issue now.I was driving around with a air bag that might not even of gone off for all I know. I'm pissed.

JonsMustang
08-10-2016, 12:56 PM
You should work for Ford Canada HQ.
Nick we don't have part numbers on the original inflators alone, just the complete airbags, so I can't really offer a valid comment on that.

No solid info yet on the passenger side recall, just the advance notification and the owner letters will be in the mail soon. From what I've seen online, the passenger side bags were from a different supplier, not Takata, but they have seen a few with the same shrapnel issues.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
08-10-2016, 04:40 PM
I'd rather be honest, than speculate and possibly give an unqualified answer! If I try to dig in to it with Ford corporate to answer Nick's question, they certainly aren't going to give any tips about parts swapping when it concerns safety components.

Rino
08-13-2016, 06:41 PM
I'd rather be honest, than speculate and possibly give an unqualified answer! If I try to dig in to it with Ford corporate to answer Nick's question, they certainly aren't going to give any tips about parts swapping when it concerns safety components.
Thnks for the honesty bud.Much appreciated

allicedout
08-14-2016, 07:37 AM

Bumping the thread for this week in case any of the S197 owners here missed the new info ...

If you have a 2005 - 2012, the part is available now to complete the 15S21 recall. If you have a 2013 - 2014, Q4 of this year is the expected timing for the replacement part.

Exactly ... 2013 - 2014 recall part is NOT available until Q4 of this year as I mentioned earlier in the thread. If your dealer tries to do it on your car, ask them to reread the recall info!

cheers
Ed

Rino (and anyone else that has a 2013-2014), here is a sample of the first part of the owner letter that you should be receiving. Date on the info to us was June 6 2016:

Ford du Canada Limitée
P.O. Box 2000
Oakville, Ontario
L6K 0C8

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX C 15S21- Followup_2013-2014MY

J. SAMPLE MAIL DATE
123 MAIN STREET
ANYCITY, ON A1A 1A1

In July 2015, Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited (Ford) sent you a letter announcing Safety Recall 15S21 (Driver Airbag Inflator Replacement) on your vehicle, with the VIN shown above. This letter is to inform you that we are expecting the newly designed driver airbag module for your vehicle to become available in the fourth quarter of this year. Ford will notify you when the part is available to schedule a repair date with your dealer.

So anyone who has had an inflator replaced in a 2013-2014, I would encourage you to contact that dealer again to discuss the situation ... FORD does NOT have parts released yet to repair the 2013-2014 models.

The letter will be written. I think this situation , in particular will get something in return.I asked if it was the right part and they said yes.Ford told them to get my car in and reinstall the old one.This is a total safety issue now.I was driving around with a air bag that might not even of gone off for all I know. I'm pissed.

I'd just consider it a wash since you knew the 2014 wasn't ready to be called in. I'll assume the dealer did it thinking it was apart of the same recall, glad they called you back and sorted it out right away.

Rino
08-14-2016, 01:43 PM
I knew that the parts were suppose to be coming later in the year ,as the notice stated. I asked the advisor if they were the right part, because Ford said it would be later in the year, that they would be available. He told me that they were the right part for the car, so I agreed to have it installed. He was wrong of course,and this is why I'm miffed.

bluetoy
08-26-2016, 05:43 PM
Just got my notice for yet another airbag recall. This time it's the passenger side. 16S26. No parts available. Anyone want to buy a nice used 2007 GT convertible. I'm tired of every single product on this planet being nothing but a collection of shit built by the lowest bidder.

Spock
08-26-2016, 07:32 PM
Just got my notice for yet another airbag recall. This time it's the passenger side. 16S26. No parts available. Anyone want to buy a nice used 2007 GT convertible. I'm tired of every single product on this planet being nothing but a collection of shit built by the lowest bidder.

Not true, you could buy lots of high end hand built stuff that is of the highest quality
Now that your done with the low end shit I take it your in the market for a Rolls or something like that?

I think the saying goes "You get what you pay for"

12GrabberGT
09-02-2016, 06:11 PM
I hate taking my car to the dealer for anything because the techs are notoriously careless. But decided to take a chance and took mine in 2 weeks ago to a new (to me) dealer in the area. Installed the inflator no problem but I watched him do it. I wasn't close enough to see that he set the airbag upside down to replace the inflator on a dirty bench. On the way home I noticed that he scratched up the shiny horse emblem on the airbag. I called when I got home to see what they were going to do about it but apparently it's going to be months before they can get me a replacement due to a backup in the part at Ford.

This is why I don't like taking my car to the dealers because it always seems to come out more damaged than it went in. It's minor perhaps, but damage is still damage and shouldn't happen. More care should be taken. Tech didn't even put a protective cover on the seat before getting in. I'm holding off completing the feedback email to give them another week or two to make good. If not, I will name names.

bluetoy
09-03-2016, 03:09 PM
I hate taking my car to the dealer for anything because the techs are notoriously careless. But decided to take a chance and took mine in 2 weeks ago to a new (to me) dealer in the area. Installed the inflator no problem but I watched him do it. I wasn't close enough to see that he set the airbag upside down to replace the inflator on a dirty bench. On the way home I noticed that he scratched up the shiny horse emblem on the airbag. I called when I got home to see what they were going to do about it but apparently it's going to be months before they can get me a replacement due to a backup in the part at Ford.

This is why I don't like taking my car to the dealers because it always seems to come out more damaged than it went in. It's minor perhaps, but damage is still damage and shouldn't happen. More care should be taken. Tech didn't even put a protective cover on the seat before getting in. I'm holding off completing the feedback email to give them another week or two to make good. If not, I will name names.
Precisely why I bought my inflators and changed them myself. I don't care where you go there are guys that don't give a shit or are too stupid to realize that they are doing damage. I had a guy at a dealer remove a piece of trim off the seat in my pickup(beige seat), he broke the tabs so he pit it back on with some black stuff like what they use to hold in windshields. Needles too say I had to bring it back and have the seat cover replaced. How can you be do stupid.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
01-23-2017, 10:08 AM
It's been a while since we had any updates on the 15S21 airbag campaign for 05-14 Mustangs. Most of the people have been able to get their 05-12 cars done with the replacement inflator, parts availability is fine for that.

We have a part number now for the 13-14 V6 and GT, it will be the complete left side air bag that is replaced, not just the inflator. No stock available in Canada yet, expected for early February from the looks of it. Hopefully the dealers in the GTA can have a good supply on hand for when the stored cars come out in a few months. No part number yet for the 2013-2014 GT-500, it will be different because of the unique emblem on those.

thanks,
Ed N.

ZR
01-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the update Ed.

bluetoy
01-23-2017, 01:08 PM
Any update on 16s26?

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
01-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Sorry, nothing on 16S26 yet ... I meant to mention that as well.

G-ForceJunkie
03-05-2017, 04:52 PM
Any update Ed? Wasn't the passenger side airbag recalled as well, no news on that?

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
03-06-2017, 10:51 AM
No new updates on any of the airbag recalls at this point, sorry. I've been keeping my eye on the driver's side for the 2013-2014 cars involved in 15S21. it looks like the dealers in the southern U.S. high heat & humidity areas are getting some parts in now, but as of today the Canadian dealers are still not able to order them. Really hoping that changes within the next 4-6 weeks so that we can get people looked after as they are bringing their cars out of storage.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
04-03-2017, 09:57 AM
To make everyone aware ... Ford Canada sent us an update this morning on the 15S21 driver's side airbag recall. They have parts available for the 2013-2014 cars now, but the ones for the V6 and GT are in limited quantity ... for the time being, dealers will only be able to order 3 per week (as a maximum depending on their population base). The one for the 2013-2014 GT-500 does not have an order restriction on it.

Rino
04-03-2017, 12:54 PM
ordered ,going tomorrow to have it installed ,thnks Ed

Rino
04-04-2017, 12:24 PM
ok the Dealer is too busy this week so next Tuesday.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
04-04-2017, 04:12 PM
They'll get you looked after I'm sure Rino. I'm just glad that Ford has been able to get some supply of these in time for people getting their cars out of storage for the coming season.

G-ForceJunkie
04-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the update Ed. I'll call my dealer to see if they can order one.

Monera3v
04-04-2017, 08:27 PM
Anyone have successfully done theirs?
I keep getting the letters, I keep going to local ford dealers in Scarborough
They all tell me, I have to leave it for a few hours others told me, they don't have stock..

At this point, the car going in for more mods then I would like knowing some kid at the dealer will have access to my car for a few hours...

Rino
04-05-2017, 12:14 PM
It actually takes 20 mins to replace the module.When they put the wrong one in and replaced it ,the tech did it outside with me standing there.

Monera3v
04-05-2017, 02:54 PM
It actually takes 20 mins to replace the module.When they put the wrong one in and replaced it , look the tech did it outside with me standing there.

When to one on Kennedy, the looks at my car, went to the tech and said it will have to stay for a few hours
I look at him and said no thanks and he gave me a rude as look.
Moved to a next dealership, they told me they don't have stock

Might just book at heritage

NickD
04-06-2017, 12:30 AM
I had mine done last year in milton, very quick job, now to wait for the passenger side to become available

Rino
04-18-2017, 01:21 PM
Went to the dealer today and had my air bag recall done.took about 30 mins.
:highfive:

mavrrrick
04-18-2017, 01:27 PM
Going on the 26th to have mine done.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
04-19-2017, 02:30 PM
The 2013-2014 V6 / GT airbag is still on a weekly order limit, so be patient with your local dealer if they tell you that it may be a few weeks before can get you looked after.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
05-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Just wanted to keep everyone updated on this as the cars are mostly out of storage ... the weekly order restriction is still in place on the 13-14 air bags for V6 and GT. Dealers can only order between 1 and 3 per week depending on the population of their market area. Right now the parts for these are coming out of the U.S., nothing on the shelf at the Canadian warehouses.

For the people with the 2005-2012 cars that haven't been done yet inflators are readily available, lots in the Bramalea warehouse.

No new info on the passenger side airbag recall that was announced a few months ago.

thanks,
Ed N.

ZR
05-17-2017, 11:10 PM
Thanks Ed.

IanGTCS
05-22-2017, 07:54 AM
Had mine done a couple of weeks ago. Dropped it off Thursday after work, they called me before 10 the next morning to say it was done. First time going to this dealer, they only tried to upsell me on other services a little bit.

Ray721
05-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Fraser Ford did mine in 20 min while I was looking at some 17's.

IanGTCS
06-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Had mine done a couple of weeks ago. Dropped it off Thursday after work, they called me before 10 the next morning to say it was done. First time going to this dealer, they only tried to upsell me on other services a little bit.

So the little bit of selling at the service department when I was at the dealer has become fairly regular text messages and now phone calls offering me "special access" to sales and events. Makes my desire to ever go back there drop to pretty much zero.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
03-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Guys, it's been a while since we've had any more info on this, but today Ford sent out some messages telling us that the passenger side air bags are available in limited quantities for recalls 16S26 and 17S01, to repair 2010/2011 cars and 2012 cars respectively. Your dealership will have to place an order for your VIN specifically from Ford's Special Service Support Centre.

Other years and vehicle models involved in these recalls are still pending.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
04-06-2018, 03:46 PM
New update from Ford this afternoon ... the passenger side airbag can be ordered for 2005-2009 Mustang now. As with the other model years, your dealership will have to do an order by your car's VIN through Ford's Special Service Support Centre.

ZR
04-07-2018, 06:25 AM
thanks again Ed.

Stephen06GT
04-07-2018, 07:38 AM
Going today to get mine on order.

mavrrrick
04-08-2018, 12:26 PM
New update from Ford this afternoon ... the passenger side airbag can be ordered for 2005-2009 Mustang now. As with the other model years, your dealership will have to do an order by your car's VIN through Ford's Special Service Support Centre.

Is this the second recall on these? Had a recall done already. Is this a new one ?

2005BlackGT
04-08-2018, 08:03 PM
Passenger Side driver Already Done I am waiting on Stock you had the Passenger one done where ?

mavrrrick
04-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Passenger Side driver Already Done I am waiting on Stock you had the Passenger one done where ?

Formula Ford

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
04-09-2018, 09:05 AM
Is this the second recall on these? Had a recall done already. Is this a new one ?

If you like, send me the VIN for your car by p.m. and I can see what is showing for it related to this.

thanks,
Ed

mavrrrick
04-09-2018, 11:42 AM
If you like, send me the VIN for your car by p.m. and I can see what is showing for it related to this.

thanks,
Ed

Thanks Ed!!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180409/457f0ac09537fe9a3473f24f4814bdc9.jpg

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
04-09-2018, 11:58 AM
So your car has the recall 18S01 for the passenger side, that is related to the Takata air bag fault in high heat / humidity areas. The first replacement your car got wouldn't have been the latest greatest version, so it will get replaced again. Parts aren't available for Canadian orders on this one yet.

It gets very confusing for us and the vehicle owners to figure out which recalls have what parts available for everything that is air bag related. Those people at Takata made a big mess worldwide for many different vehicle manufacturers and their dealerships!

mavrrrick
04-09-2018, 01:20 PM
So your car has the recall 18S01 for the passenger side, that is related to the Takata air bag fault in high heat / humidity areas. The first replacement your car got wouldn't have been the latest greatest version, so it will get replaced again. Parts aren't available for Canadian orders on this one yet.

It gets very confusing for us and the vehicle owners to figure out which recalls have what parts available for everything that is air bag related. Those people at Takata made a big mess worldwide for many different vehicle manufacturers and their dealerships!

Wow... real mess... any idea when parts will be available?

NickD
04-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Ed i think I remember hearing that there was a recall for the driver Airbag as well?
I know I had the inflator done but not the whole Airbag?
Thanks
Nick

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
04-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Wow... real mess... any idea when parts will be available?

Not yet ... they've been looking after the southern U.S. first with all of these air bag recalls since the issue is related to high humidity and temps year round.

- - - Updated - - -

Ed i think I remember hearing that there was a recall for the driver Airbag as well?
I know I had the inflator done but not the whole Airbag?
Thanks
Nick

That's possible Nick ... I would need your VIN as well to confirm what is still to be done.

bluetoy
04-09-2018, 05:08 PM
my mustang has been recalled twice for the drivers air bag. It has been replaced twice. I think I got a recall for the pass side but since there's been no parts for months and months i probably threw it out.

mavrrrick
04-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Please give us updates when you can Ed. Thanks a million!!! [emoji106][emoji106]

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
05-29-2018, 01:51 PM
As of today, Ford is allowing us to do special orders by VIN for the 18S01 recall on 2009, 2010, and 2013 Mustangs. If you have one of these vehicles that is involved, you can contact your local dealer and they can create an order with Ford to get one coming.

ZR
05-30-2018, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the update Ed.

mavrrrick
05-30-2018, 01:54 PM
Thanks again Ed!!!