06-05-2015, 04:01 PM
I had no idea they were so small.

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/Images/tires_size.png

But that may soon change...

http://motoroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/pirelli-new-f1-wheel-3.jpg

Alan Baldwin, Reuters
May 22, 2015
Last Updated: 3:22 PM ET

MONACO - Formula One is stuck in the past with its current tire sizes and should switch to bigger ones that are more commercially relevant, according to Michelin motorsport director Pascal Couasnon.

"Staying with 13-inch tires is a form of treading ground," he said in a question and answer sheet issued by the French manufacturer on Friday.

"Formula One has successfully become more modern in many areas but it is not a hotbed of innovation in the realm of tires. Single-seater cars racing on 13-inch tires are a thing of the past."

Formula One's governing body announced on Thursday a tender to be the sport's sole tire supplier from 2017-19, a role currently filled by Pirelli.

Pirelli are seen as favourites to continue but the FIA has not ruled out a switch to bigger tires, with Michelin favouring 18-inch ones and likely to tender if a rule change was accepted.

"The chief reason why we want to switch to 18-inch tires is that they permit the development of new technologies that can be used for mass-produced road tires," said Couasnon.

"We believe it is impossible to transfer technology from small-diameter tires with tall side walls...we need racing tyres to have a similar profile to road tires to be in a position to develop new technologies."

Couasnon said he felt the idea of bigger tires was gaining ground, with the new electric Formula E series already using them and junior formulae such as Formula Renault 3.5 also preparing for a change.

"It seems to me that it's a move that makes sense," added the Frenchman.

Pirelli has already conducted tests with 18-inch rims while former F1 driver and television commentator Martin Brundle drove a GP2 car around the Monaco circuit on Friday in a demonstration run with the bigger tires.

"I really like the look of the 18 inch wheels on single seater. Car felt great but big problem is that you can't see apex kerbs or barriers. At all," the Briton reported on Twitter.

Ghost Rider
06-05-2015, 04:06 PM
not going to look right on your car I don't think though...

Stephen06GT
06-05-2015, 04:08 PM
May need to roll the fenders.

Not4you
06-05-2015, 04:37 PM
http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/downloadAttach/2241037.page

The tires are a major part of the car's suspension, and in F1 suspensions there is very little travel, they are extremely stiff. They are designed to achieve maximum grip allowing the flex in the tire sidewall to absorb the curbs, bumps and cracks in the track. If the tires lose the flexible sidewall, the bumps and vibrations currently being managed by the tires will be transferred to the car's chassis greatly impacting handling performance.

Fans will like the look. and Pirelli and Michelin want this change so that they can advance technology and sell more street tires. Unfortunately, on the flip side of this potential change is the need to completely, 100% re-engineer the suspension designs on all the cars, across all manufacturers/teams. And at the moment, this is far more significant in the decision than Pirelli and Michelin marketing to the tuner crowd.

WTF
06-05-2015, 04:50 PM
hope they do it

I wanna see how fast they can brake with bigger brakes filling up those bigger wheels

knowing F1 you'll see them stuff 10 piston calipers up there and the cars will brake so fast the drivers' eyes will be popping outta their heads

will also see way more suspension movement without having the flex of the current sidewalls

bring it on

Not4you
06-05-2015, 05:27 PM
hope they do it

I wanna see how fast they can brake with bigger brakes filling up those bigger wheels

knowing F1 you'll see them stuff 10 piston calipers up there and the cars will brake so fast the drivers' eyes will be popping outta their heads

will also see way more suspension movement without having the flex of the current sidewalls

bring it on

I agree! F1 cars with real brakes!! bring it!

but the teams are balking at the idea of redesigning the suspension systems just to help sell more tires.

Dumitru Ivanov
02-03-2017, 06:11 AM
Indeed. More surface = speed, but also drag and wear.
But all in all I'm sure they know what they're doing.

tulowd
02-03-2017, 09:12 AM
hope they do it

bring it on

Bigger brakes are not going to make these cars stop any faster. The limit is always the tire grip to the pavement. Currently, the brakes do not fade nor are overwhelmed by the cars. If the tires become wider, then perhaps there is call for bigger brakes, but the added mass of larger wheels and tires are going to slow the cars down SIGNIFICANTLY, and make the brakes work harder. Adding 10 lbs per corner means a complete suspension component and chassis re-design since the stress levels will increase significantly; so doing this will slow the cars down and likely make them gain in both sprung and unsprung mass.

03svt
02-03-2017, 09:27 AM
Back from the dead thread.. f1 has changed the tire size for this season, went 50 or 60mm wider in the front and 90 or 100mm in the back I forget exact measurements.. still running 13's though.