PDA

View Full Version : What do you want from your mustang?

Uncle Buck
07-24-2015, 08:59 AM
One thing I love about the car hobby is it's actually different for everyone. It provides such a range of ways to enjoy cars. My fellow car nuts here enjoy mustangs but even within this group the way we enjoy is different for every member.

One thing I have realized is that it's good to know what you want from your car hobby so that you build your cars the way YOU want to enjoy them. Oddly I think many of us don't actually do this as well as we could yet others know exactly what they want and stay on track, pardon the pun.

For me, I want a compromise car. I want it to look good, sound good, have enough power to keep a smile on my face and above all I want to drive it plenty so it needs to be comfy and reliable. I also want to wrench on it but only when I feel like it.

To achieve these things it's probably more important to know what my car won't be. It won't be 700+hp or an all out corner carver nor will it be so pretty that I can't drive it for fear of a rain drop or a stone chip. There's nothing wrong with any of these things but it doesn't fit what I want from my car and that's kind of the point.

Looking at my car objectively I think I'm pretty close to my plan but I would have done better if I had always kept it in mind. My suspension and wheel setup up is a little too harsh, my engine is a little too anemic and I've DD'd it a little too much so it's starting to show a little more wear and tear than I'd like.

What are your thoughts TMC

Is your car a show piece, a strip beast, a corner carver or a cool DD? Did you have a plan in mind? Are you sticking too it?

What's your story?

Because Mustang

RedSN
07-24-2015, 09:14 AM
Is your car a show piece, a strip beast, a corner carver or a cool DD? Did you have a plan in mind? Are you sticking too it?
I would call mine an amateur corner carver.

My plan has always been handling before power. And after my first trip to the road course my plan became even clearer. It also follows my philosophy of driving the car versus polishing it. I hate cleaning it, I hate the fear of a tiny chip or scratch ruining my day, I hate standing in the blistering sun in a hot parking lot full of cars and people. Whether it be a relaxed cruise up north, or some fast laps around Mosport, I enjoy my car more when I'm driving it.

So yeah, I'd say I have been sticking to my plan. I just wish it were progressing a bit faster LOL.

One thing I gotta say about a plan and sticking to it tho ....stop when you get there! Seen way too many people just keep going and going ...to the point where the car becomes unusable. Either the car is too pretty to drive, or too powerful to ...well, also drive.

Stuart
07-24-2015, 09:21 AM
I just wanted a fun DD that made driving a pleasure again, after too many years of driving the "Family" Mini-Vans and SUV's... will do a few Mod's just to give it the
sound I like and maybe a couple more HP.

Ray721
07-24-2015, 09:22 AM
My plan is very similar to yours UncleBuck. I want something that looks great, has good power and handles a little better than it does currently.

So far I'm on track. I made the exhaust a little retarded and might change it next year to something more civilized but other than that I'm fairly happy with it.

One thing I regret is not getting a DD sooner. Could have saved myself about 35,000km and a bunch of stone chips [emoji35]

The Newmare
07-24-2015, 09:35 AM
to put a smile on my face every time I sit my ass in the seat!!!!!

Not4you
07-24-2015, 09:41 AM
I have always like something with a bit of rarity, something just a little bit different but such that those in the know would have their interest peaked but that many would just pass by. My Taurus was an SHO. My first Mustang was a T-Top, my second a Notch. The 85 Saleen took this a little too far, while it was a cool conversation piece and got a lot of interest, it was too rare and I was worried about taking it to the track, losing a valuable rare piece on it and adding a ton of miles on long road trips - the things I like most about this hobby.

Lately, handling has become more interesting to me, so my current car has received the most suspension/chassis mods vs my previous cars.

So the Mach1 I have now suits me well. A bit more interesting than a GT, but I can drive it guilt free. It shows well enough. Is comfortable on the long trips. And runs like a scared cat on carpet around the road course.

RedSN
07-24-2015, 09:49 AM
http://viralgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/cat_Lizards.gif

Not4you
07-24-2015, 09:55 AM
see. handles like shit on hardwood.

JonsMustang
07-24-2015, 10:07 AM
Same reason as Uncle Buck.

Dutch
07-24-2015, 11:27 AM
To get it running.

MustangArmy
07-24-2015, 11:29 AM
I Just want to Ride it all the time. Long drives.
I making plans for a Turbo kit but not soon. I want it be better at handling and smooth riding than power.

newbiestangowner
07-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Pretty much what everyone has said. Suspension drop / brake upgrade is next when budget allows. I really hope to do an occasional track day( road ).
The thing is I have my wife's car and rusty suv that we could use as a daily but every time we use them I'm always finding myself saying "we should have used my car"

Styrofoam04
07-24-2015, 12:53 PM
I want a gorgeous track car! I want a car that turns heads...and turns! I don't mind getting her dirty! I love washing & polishing it! and thanks to CanuckCleaner I plan on doing more of that. I want a little more power. Nothing crazy, just enough to keep up 350-400hp. I love driving it but I will no longer use as a DD. Its Weekend warrior. Km are not an issue as long as I have enjoyed them.

The cost to get what I want would prolly be as much as buying a 2014 GT. But I really love the look of my car esp. the colour.

sxy_stang
07-24-2015, 06:28 PM
to put a smile on my face every time I sit my ass in the seat!!!!!

This and it's been doing pretty damn good

Mellow Yellow
07-24-2015, 07:19 PM
Former DD, lots of kms. Now almost 11 years old. No more winters and now driving weekends and occasional Wednesdays to golf.

Upgraded items as they have worn out. Now have brembo's, lowered, etc. Would like to track it and do more drag strips, but currently needs a tranny change...soon hopefully. In 2016 or 2017 the engine will need a rebuild...considering power adder at that time. But I don't want it too crazy, maybe 400 to 500hp.

84ragtop
07-24-2015, 07:23 PM
I got mine because I wanted something I could wrench on..I had 97 gmc that I could go no farther on with out sinking huge amounts of money into it...so I got my stang to do just that...it may not look like much but it still able to scare me about once a season..since i got it in 2011 I have almost filled ledger type book of things I have done so I guess it has met my needs...she will always be a work in progress but I think that is my favorite part

Canuckcleaner
07-24-2015, 11:49 PM
I bought the stang because I always wanted a Stang and have always owned thirdgen f bodies. I'm enjoying the vert quite a bit. I don't get to drive it enough but I'm loving the access to bolt ons that were pretty scarce with thirdgen cars.

ZR
07-24-2015, 11:56 PM
My focus is easy to explain, a whore when I want it and a lady the rest of the time, very pleased with it thus far.

Whitehot
07-25-2015, 06:47 AM
lol ^^^^ way to go Rick. Ya, sort of like a pro touring. Good on road course, and good on drag strip. Look good, turn heads, its the most amazing feelin when people stop or drive beside you and comment on how good your car looks. Especially kids. When that happens, we, are planting a seed. That kid will, when he s older, will remember a hot car or 2... and maybe, carry on the torch of our passion. How often have ya heard... "when I was a kid, I saw this amazing car" and he wants to have something similar, but his own... That, is cool... Share the Love ;)...

Uncle Buck
07-25-2015, 10:18 AM
^^ well said

b1lk1
07-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Right now, I just want to drive it. I want a smelly moderately uncomfortable car that needed thousands of dollars in work just to make it safe to drive down the road. I want stuff to break and I want to have to weld it back together. That hole in the rear quarter you say? Someday......

PS: I really, really, REALLY want that new Cobra manifold that's for sale local to me...........

KIDAGIN
07-25-2015, 11:21 AM
This was my first Mustang waited too many years to buy one. It has been a never ending sea of fun, the people and friends I have met in this hobby are just awesome. Even after 9 summers on the road I still get the thumbs up from strangers.
What else could you ask for.

tulowd
07-25-2015, 06:45 PM
Having owned and modded Foxes since 1987, this is supposed to be the ultimate iteration of what I want from a car. Since I can't afford a Ferrari, Porsche Turbo or Lambo, and don't want a cookie cutter Viper or Vette, my build is geared towards those cars in spirit. I totally realize this car will never approach the performance levels of any of the above cars, but it is 1 of 1......and it has my blood and DNA all over it.

Here are the major boundaries and targets of my 5 year '87 Vert build:

built with my blood, sweat and tears, not just paid for with an Amex card
Old Skool flavour 80's muscle car, as it should have been built by Saleen etc
carry on the heart and soul of my wrecked SVO clone
naturally aspirated, carbed
road course capable
half decent street cruiser
12 second quarter in real street trim
monster sound system
clean underhood presentation
unique details throughout
entertaining and fully engaged driving experience
half decent appearance
form follows function

Figure I'm about 75 % of the way there...........

Starting to get some pretty serious compliments, which is always nice, especially when its from decent car folks or total strangers hanging out of their buddies car on the 401, lol

NickD
07-25-2015, 11:06 PM
I want it to make me smile every time I drive it...
needs be pretty, reasonably comfortable and fast (working on the last part)
I like going out for drives and seeing the heads turn