PDA

View Full Version : LS3 vs 5.0 in a 2002? E-test?

stangstevers
07-30-2015, 06:48 AM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa? 2002? Sorry not a Mustang question, but more of a logic question. What do you do for e-test? I'm guessing with the OBD2 port, it won't really matter so long as the engine is running fine? Unless the dude at Canadian Tire, enters 2002 Ranger and the machine won't work at all, I tell him it has a Chevy drivetrain so use that instead and he will refuse to test it is the more likely scenario, same deal with the 302...

I can go 302 EFI from a compatible vehicle and call it a day or go LS3 for better MPG and more power. I'm just curious about the whole e-test deal, thinking it would be easier with a 302?

Thanks for your thoughts on this hypothetical situation.

stangstevers
07-30-2015, 07:05 AM
...and don't worry about this pipe dream just yet. Might not happen, the PAT's system is confusing me too much to really get into it.

Darkhorse
07-30-2015, 07:55 AM
I think hot rod rules apply when you're into a deal like that. I would also go LS based motor for better emissions experience and moar power.

b1lk1
07-30-2015, 08:10 AM
All the OBDII test should show is monitors ready and any codes/tests not run, the E-test would not know the difference no matter the engine you ran as long as it is OBD II and the port works properly. That is what is so unfair now, they force us pushrod guys to the sniffer and you OBD port guys get pretty much a free pass, especially if you have/know a tuner.

Laffs
07-30-2015, 08:40 AM
I think hot rod rules apply when you're into a deal like that. I would also go LS based motor for better emissions experience and moar power.

No hot rod test for 99 and newer.

Also with OBD2 testing there are ways around things if you search hard enough, all I'm saying.

RedSN
07-30-2015, 08:47 AM
That is what is so unfair now, they force us pushrod guys to the sniffer and you OBD port guys get pretty much a free pass, especially if you have/know a tuner.
I'll take the 2-speed idle test any day ahead of the OBDII test. Soooooo easy to pass if the car is running right and has cats.

Put in a Cummins 4BT like I said and REALLY confuse the e-test tech.

Laffs
07-30-2015, 09:15 AM
OBD2 is literally the easiest test to pass.

RedSN
07-30-2015, 09:26 AM
unless you unplug your battery. Then it's a PITA.

Laffs
07-30-2015, 10:11 AM
Nope still easy.

stangstevers
07-30-2015, 10:39 AM
Would like a diesel but that certainly would never pass e-test... lol I'm assuming this is all mechanical engine and thus no OBD2 :D

I'm most likely going to get my hands dirty and weld up a solid front axle setup on the Ranger before any engine swap (I made up my mind, it's cheaper than a suspension lift on the torsion setup), I'm waiting for the 4.0L Timing chain to start knocking before I make any swap, but that won't stop me from buying parts if/when I find them dirt cheap. So far LS is cheap to buy and provides a good package (MPG and power) but a 302 will be easier to sit in the ranger and some LS engines are drive by wire? I guess for the PAT's system, I could bypass that module with a manual "start" button. Lots of reading to do obviously... Lots of time too lol

Laffs
07-30-2015, 10:46 AM
You can shut off PATS with SCT.