PDA

View Full Version : Safety Q's - airbag recall

mustanggalTO
08-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here - glad to see that this forum exists :)

I have a 2014 Mustang, and last week, received notice that my vehicle is affected by the Takata airbag recall. I've called my dealer and Ford Canada's customer service and haven't received any information about when replacement parts will be available; and based on an earlier thread I saw in this forum, it doesn't seem like this information is available yet.

Since it might be a long time before my dealer can replace the defective airbag, I'm a little bit concerned about my safety when driving before this repair is completed. (I know that it's only a minority of airbag deployments that have problems, but I used to work in the auto insurance industry, so I'm probably more neurotic than most about these things.) Has anyone considered taking out their airbag entirely until the problem parts are replaced? Or are there any other work-arounds that are possible until Ford can do the repair?

I don't want to take my car off the road indefinitely because of this, but I am also a little bit worried now. Am I the only one? Would love to hear some input from other Mustang owners, since I don't actually know anyone else affected by the recall at this point.

Stephen06GT
08-04-2015, 09:48 AM
I just got the notice for my 06 last week, but had the recall work done last month. That being said, I still drove the car, and to be honest I didn't give it a second thought.

stangstevers
08-04-2015, 10:37 AM
I thought about "pulling a fuse" to disable the airbag system... but then again that may not be as easy as I think and probably less safe. So I just drive as safely as I can to avoid having to use the damn things. Although people make it challenging.

Laffs
08-04-2015, 10:51 AM
My Dodge Ram was affected by the airbag recall, I found this out after I crashed it in to a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I did not die, your results may vary.

KIDAGIN
08-04-2015, 11:29 AM
I just got the notice for my 06 last week, but had the recall work done last month. That being said, I still drove the car, and to be honest I didn't give it a second thought.

^^^^^THIS

Ray721
08-04-2015, 12:18 PM
I drive mine almost everyday still. Letter states we will be notified when replacement parts are available. If it were the passenger airbag the car would be parked. I'm ok with the gamble though lol

JonsMustang
08-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Someone on here did it themselves. Bought the part for 20 bucks and changed under 30mins I believe.

Uncle Buck
08-04-2015, 03:26 PM
My friend crashed his 07 and had deployed airbags. He's no uglier than before and seems alive enough to drink my beer.

TheMustangShow
08-04-2015, 04:48 PM
My friend crashed his 07 and had deployed airbags. He's no uglier than before and seems alive enough to drink my beer.

LoL!

tulowd
08-04-2015, 06:55 PM
I thought about "pulling a fuse" to disable the airbag system... but then again that may not be as easy as I think and probably less safe. So I just drive as safely as I can to avoid having to use the damn things. Although people make it challenging.

Airbags still deploy without the fuse in the circuit. The bag actually has a small explosive charge packaged inside it that is ignited by a capacitor (or similar) permanently charged circuit so it doesn't require power. This is why working on them is dangerous, lol

To the OP (Original Poster): I wouldn't worry about it - if it was serious they would tell you to stop driving the car. Maybe try contacting another Ford dealer - perhaps they can help you.

Notice to Reader: I drive a roofless, overpowered Foxbody without any airbags, so my perspective on personal safety is a little twisted.....

pwrab
08-05-2015, 01:24 PM
Just spoke to my dealer-Markville.
They say "it'll be a long while, before we see the part".
Apparently, 'heat' affects it. They assume that Mexico and the southern US will be the first in line to get the parts.....

JonsMustang
10-06-2015, 02:51 PM
So what's the word out on the street in regards to getting the airbag replaced from Ford?

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
10-06-2015, 04:02 PM
No new info on this from Ford since July. If you didn't get the recall letter in the mail, here is a copy & paste:

This notice is sent to you under the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act of Canada.

Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited (Ford) has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle, with the Vehicle Identification Number shown above.
We apologize for this situation and want to assure you that, with your assistance, we will correct this condition. Our commitment, together with your dealer, is to provide you with the highest level of service and support.

What is the issue?

In certain vehicles, the front driver side air bag inflator housing may rupture and deploy abnormally in the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver side frontal airbag. An inflator rupture could result in metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.

What will Ford and your dealer do?

Ford is working closely with its suppliers to produce parts for this repair. When parts become available for Safety Recall 15S21, Ford will notify you via mail to schedule a service appointment with your dealer to have the driver’s frontal airbag inflator replaced free of charge (parts and labour). Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

What should you do?

When parts are available, Ford will send a letter to inform you that parts are available and to contact your dealer to schedule a repair.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

National Service Operations
FORD MOTOR COMPANY OF CANADA, Limited