PDA

View Full Version : How I met my Mustang...

Stephen06GT
03-27-2014, 09:15 AM
I'm "borrowing" this thread idea from another forum that I'm on, but it's so good that it needs to be shared. I'll start:

Here's my story.
I've been daily driving a Mustang since 1992. My first one was a deep emerald green LX5.0 that was taken from me by dirty rotten horse thieves in the middle of the night in May of 1996. I never saw it again. As soon as the insurance company's 30 waiting period expired, I went out and purchased a lazer red 1996 GTS, affectionately known as Ol Paint. OP was with me for more than 14 years and 345000km. He drove my baby daughter home from the hospital in a January snow storm and served me faithfully for all those years. But as time went by, and the kms added up, OP was getting a little tired. It was time to look for a new horse.

I had done the usual Autotrader and internet looking but hadn't found anything that I wanted. It was at a go karting event in the spring of 2010 that I was speaking with Twister and he said he knew of an blue '06GT that was in storage becasue the current owner was having health issues. The car was an '06GT, blue with about 30000km on the clock. I called the owner, who told me the mileage was closer to 20000km and the car had been in storage for almost 3 years (this is sounding even better). He would be away for the next three weeks, but as soon as he was back, the car would be out of storage and I could come and look at it. I waited the three weeks and called him again. The first thing he said was that he made a mistake about the mileage, the car only had 6900km on the clock, BONUS!! I brought some cash for a deposit, and went to see the car. It was a Windveil blue 2006 Mustang GT, 5speed, black interior and the only mod was the addition of Flowmasters. We took it for a test drive and I gave the owner a $200.00 deposit when we got back. Two days later, with the help ZR, Ol Paint II was at his new home. My daughter and I both shed some tears when Ol Paint I left our driveway for his new home, but "Bluey", as my daughter calls him, has filled the void nicely. With some subtle changes, 18" pollished Bullitt wheels, tint, and spoiler delete, etc. we have made Ol Paint II our own. Ride on Ol Paint!!

Not4you
03-27-2014, 10:25 AM
A close family friend was selling his '01 Bullitt. I decided to sell the Saleen to get the Bullitt but things fell through and it never happened. However, I had mentally committed to getting a new ride so I started looking around. Saw the red Mach1 that was interesting but a bit out of my price range. Went to see it anyway. Heard the back story was that it was acquired from a storage locker auction and that the sellers were not in the car business or hobby and needed to flip it. I offered a really insulting lowball offer of cash and not only did they take it, but they delivered the car to my house!

baddbullitt
03-27-2014, 10:58 AM
Cool stories...

Well back in 2000 I needed another car cause the g/f and I only had the one. SO, I found my 84 through a buddy of mine. It had a modded engine, but the paint was primer. So over time it went through 2 more paint jobs (I did myself) First was flat black (before it was trendy) then after I went with gloss black. 3 years went by and I came across a beautiful 88 in red I just had to have, so I sold the 84 and went out and bought the 88. That car lasted 3 years.

So I had broken up with the g/f in 05 and decided it was time for a new (to me) car. I was driving by Dixie Ford and saw the Bullitt on the lot with the "quick stick" painted on the front window. Also in the lot was an 03 vert. So I drove both cars. The 03 I was really into. But when I settled what the payments would of been I went with the Bullitt..lol... I don't regret that choice. e had 8 wonderful years together.

So the next chapter begins. However MissBB won't let my get another Stang until the house renos are done OR once I'm done paying off there Avenger I can trade it in and Brand new one!! Which will be a DD, but I don't care!!

That's all I got!!

Hckynut
03-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Back in grade school we used to walk to my buddies place for lunch everyday, I was probably 14 at the time. His older brother had a '86 GT with T-tops. When he was around he would drive us back to school and just rip on it. I fell in love with it. I said I would own one of these one day.

Move ahead 20 years, after looking all over Ontario for a '85GT T-Top, probably looked at about 15 that I was told were "mint", and after about 2 years of searching ,I found my car 5 mins away from my house. It was in good shape and brought it home the next day.
Spent the next 2 years tinkering to bring it up to my standards, buying up spare parts and stuff.

In 2010, saw on the other board that a 2003 sonic blue cobra vert came for sale. Always loved the cobra's, and sonic blue was my fav colour. After a bit of number crunching, made my way over to see it.
As the garage was opening the car started to show itself, in my mind it was already sold. The subsequent test drive just firmed up my mind. Stopped at the ATM on the way back on the test drive and handed over a deposit. 2 days later it was in my driveway.

Nothing was better in my mind than opening up my garage and seeing two of my favorite cars sitting in there, side by side.

For some stupid reason, I convinced myself to put the '85 for sale because when I got the cobra, I never drove it much again. Sold the '85 in 2012, and miss it dearly. But I must admit, the cobra is just one crazy ride.

Kirk
03-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Well I was getting a little tired of my 03 GT's shitty and small interior and overall uncomfortable hell it had become so I was looking into the new coyotes. After searching and searching I realized they were over my budget so I started to do some research on the 2010s and what options there were for power adders. Looked into the M90, TVS, etc. so I figured that would be cool since it'd be quicker then the 5.0 but still be that awkward 1 year wonder car.

So at this point I still hadn't searched for any 2010s then lone behold the next day Voldead (who remembers him LOL) posted up that the dealership he worked at just got in a supercharged (TVS) 2010 GT. I took it as a sign and went and saw it immediately. When we were going GF asked me if I was going to buy it I said nah we're just going to look. I bought it on the spot lol even accidentally did a burnout during the test drive. Car was a steal, price way below the 2011s at the time.

HUGE improvement over my 03 in every way possible. Then considered a cobra and even put it up for sale but took it down within a day when I realized how much I actually love it. Yes it's not a coyote but it's unique in its own way. And its super fun puts a huge smile on my face everytime I drive it. Got a whole ton of parts waiting to be put on when I take it out of storage too :)

VNMOSSNK
03-28-2014, 11:17 PM
Always wanted a cobra . But couldn't pay 20000+ for one .
T_RAT had posted a cobra for sale for 175000 , still didn't have the money lol so I decided to part out my 94gt car had 331 a4 block , Canfield heads , vortech , tko600 etc etc , most the stuff was sold in a week . By then he dropped the price to 14500 . I went down and made a deal with him . Thank u T-RAT , car was mint all original

Mellow Yellow
03-28-2014, 11:26 PM
I had been driving my 93 SHO, which was showing its age. My neighbour was a salesman at a local Ford dealer and brought one of the new S197s home. He threw me the keys and the rest was history.

I ordered one the next week. A sonic blue one. But as luck would have it there was no way the SHO would survive long enough (without major repairs) to see the new Mustang arrive. So Tina and I went to the dealership to see what was on hand. Tina didn't like the sonic blue, so I asked what colours she liked. She picked black, white and yellow. I don't like white, there were 6 new black cars at the office, so yellow it was.

We took it for a test drive just to be sure. During the drive people were continually taking pictures of us…errr the car. Brought it home with 6 kms on it; today there is almost 249,000.

KIDAGIN
03-29-2014, 08:13 AM
In 1964 I was a young father of 3 and a Mustang was not in the cards. I went to a customer site and there in the parking lot was a new Mustang one of the first in Canada. I got a ride and was hooked. Leap forward many years and it's 2006 retired now and we had 2 cars. Convinced the wife we only needed 1 car as we always went together so we sold one, A few weeks later we are sitting around looking for some thing to do and I suggested we go test drive some of the new cars with absolutely no intent on buying one. Well we finally ended up at a Ford dealer and there sitting in the lot was a new Mustang convertible so we took it for a ride. 85 degrees, top down and cruising at 140 Kms I turned to the wife and she was smiling I said we need one of these and she said we do. Headed back to the dealer to order one and as I turned off the highway I said to my wife this car makes me feel like a kidagin and now you know the story.

Stephen06GT
09-22-2019, 07:15 PM
Ghost Rider’s recent post about how he got his GT350R reminded me of this post, so I’m bringing it back to life. Let’s hear from other TMCers.

Ponyryd
09-22-2019, 07:38 PM
I’ve had a bunch of them, but my first one was a white ‘84 GT hatch. I saw it sitting outside a small farm house on my way to visit my grandfather, I was about 17 at the time and was driving my moms Hyundai to work (co-op placement), anyways it was a 5.0 stick, but was a pretty big pile so I sold it pretty quick.

WidowrRacing
09-22-2019, 07:57 PM
The year was 1991 and while working at my dads automotive shop he received a call from a friend asking if we had seen the Mustang parked in front of the local auto wreckers because he new I was into Mustangs and would like this one.

My uncle and I headed down in a vehicle we planned on leaving there to scrap and when we pulled up it was parked right in front.
It was an 88 Mustang GT in turquoise (custom paint) with mismatched GT and LX rims on it. Upon further inspection the car was a theft recovery from Scarborough purchased by the auto wreckers and had no interior except the dash and an LX drivers seat. Even all lights front and rear were gone.

My uncle grabbed a milk crate to sit on and off we went back to the shop. Car was stock except for the hollow sound of punched cats and a 3.55 gear. I can remember my uncle telling me to hammer it on the way back and when I did he fell backwards into the back seat area off the crate lol.

We got back to the shop and put it on the hoist and checked it for any physical damage underneath and gave it a full inspection.
Next thing I know my dad is turning the front rotors on the laid and when I asked him
“What are you doing that for?”
He said “You’re not taking it back....you’re buying it I can already tell”.
And he was right!
A simple phone call was made and it was a done deal...they were even nice enough to hook me up with most the parts to put it all back together.

The car has been with me for the long haul since and isn’t going anywhere....SO many memories with it over the years and SO many more still to come but now I share all of them with my son.

fast Ed
09-22-2019, 08:50 PM
My first Mustang was an 87 LX 5.0 hatch that I bought brand new from Summit Ford. I'd looked at 86 GTs the year before but couldn't quite swing the payments. So in the summer of 87 when I got a raise and a bonus at work I went and picked out what I hoped would be a fairly low profile grey LX at Summit. That didn't quite go to plan however as my previously unblemished driving record was tarnished with 3 speeding tickets for 10 demerit points by the time it went in to storage that fall, had to go for the interview with MTO to tell them why I should get to keep my license. The 87 was my first ever brand new car, I loved that thing. Definitely had a tear in my eye when it went down the road on a trailer about 10 years later when I sold it to a guy from the Ottawa area ... by that point it had become pretty much a track-only car, and the car wasn't getting any use by me. In between I had driven the heck out of that poor thing and modded it quite heavily.

Had huge amounts of fun in it and won a few trophies too from Solo I timed events at Shannonville and autocrossing, and a few more when it became a wheel-to-wheel racer at Mosport and Watkins Glen. At that point it was still my summer daily driver, even with a roll cage, race seat and harnesses, and numbers and stripes on it. Needless to say I was much more careful with my street driving by that point since the car was an easy target for the law. Sometimes I think about trying to reconnect with the guy that bought the car to see if he still has it, or what its fate was as the years have gone by. I can still recite the full 17 digit VIN from memory. LOL

Mustang4
09-22-2019, 09:51 PM
My first Mustang was a 65 Mustang 2+2 with a 289 2 bbl and auto. It was repainted by the owner silver from it’s Caspian Blue. I didn’t ‘t know the first time I drove it that drive was actually the middle marking on the automatic and the top one was Drive 2, 2nd and 3rd only. Day after I was married the car got written off while I was on my honeymoon when my brother took my cousins for a ride in it.
I returned home and found out about it when I went to my parents house where the car had been kept. Well, I took the insurance money and started looking for another. Shortly after I found someone’s project car to make a replica of a 65 Shelby and bought it all in pieces, with lots of parts and new sheet metal. Since I had salvage for the other car I now had a basement full of car parts and a shell in the driveway.
Well things progressed and all new Ford sheet metal was put on, floors, rear frame rails, Shelby suspension and quick steering kit and a completely redone blue interior with wood grain dash, console and steering wheel. Ran 15 x 7 and 15 x 8 polished Centreline wheels. Rear end was a Ford 9” with 3.50 limited slip. Motor was upgraded to a 289 Hi Po from a 1967 Shelby and it was balanced and blueprinted and fitted with a rare 3x2 bbl Cobra intake with big oval Shelby air cleaner. Automatic was an upgraded C4 with a shift kit and high stall torque converter. Body was finished off in multiple coats of lacquer paint in a bright blue metallic, similar to my current 2018 Lightning Blue.

Sold it to help with the mortgage on our first new house back in 87, and picked up a used 84 GT 350 as a daily driver.

I really wish I had that car now, maybe I’ll look up the VIN and see where it is.

Mellow Yellow
09-22-2019, 09:57 PM
Was working in the yard and my neighbour, a salesman at the local Ford dealer, brought home an 05 GT.
He saw me staring at it.....walked over and threw me the keys. I was gone for 2 hours!

Went in next day and ordered a sonic blue one.

A few weeks later the Taurus SHO I was trading in started acting up. It didn’t seem like it would make it until my order came in. So the wife and I went to see what was on the lot. She didn’t like the colour I had chosen. She liked the black, white or yellow. I didn’t want white and there were 4 brand new black cars at the office....so yellow it was. It had 3 km on it when I picked it up, now has over 288,000 kms.

Funny note; after the deal the dealer called and said that there was a big problem with the clutch on the SHO. They said it wasn’t installed correctly. I said interesting, because your service department installed it! I heard nothing else. LOL

fast Ed
09-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Your wife didn't like Sonic Blue? That's a gorgeous colour. The yellow certainly stands out though!

Uncle Buck
09-22-2019, 10:41 PM
I'm on my fourth mustang.
1969 Mach 1 428 CJ (1987 - 1990)
1995 GT (2008 - 2012)
2006 GT (2012 - 2019)
1966 coupe (2019 to present)

Yes I went 18 years without a mustang. Life got busy.

Buying the 66 was a fun experience. Saw it on AutoTRADER and went to see it on a Friday after seeing a couple of duds.

The couple selling it were in their late 70's and decided it was time for their baby to go. They were so nice. We had drinks in their man cave garage and then the day we picked it up they insisted we stay for some wine and a light snack. The car was polished, full of gas and had a fresh oil change.

It felt like we were buying the car from friends.

Mellow Yellow
09-23-2019, 12:26 AM
Your wife didn't like Sonic Blue? That's a gorgeous colour. The yellow certainly stands out though!

Her favourite colour is chrome!

Laffs
09-23-2019, 10:13 AM
This is a photo of me at 1 year of age sitting in my uncles then brand new 1987 Cobra GT. In the driveway is my dads 1985 LX that I came home from the hospital in which was shortly replaced by an 86 Red LX 5.0 convertible. My uncle went on to modify his GT Cobra for a number of years and all of my early childhood car memories are in that car or my dads red vert. My other uncle also went on to own a 1988 GT T-Top car and my Grandfather would drive me to golf lessons from age 8+ in his fox body Cougar.

Fast forward to the dawn of the 2000s and I am now in high school. My entire grade school life I consumed a steady diet of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Ford magazine, Mustang Monthly, and of course whatever I could find online. At about this time my neighbor was a high up Exec with Ford Canada and was regularly bring home the coolest of cool shit. Talking the 01 Bullitt, 03 Cobra, 05 GT supercar, retro Tbird. However there was one car that burned itself in to my psyche more than the rest which was his sons 2000 Bright Atlantic Blue GT. I recall seeing that car go down the block for the first time and just being blown away by the shape and appearance of it. He eventually started to modify it which only increased its stature in my mind. Eventually while working for Roush it gathered a bunch of Roush goodies including stage 3 fascia, wheels, and blower. To me there was simply no cooler car.

At this time I became of age to drive and eventually obtained my G2 and told my dad I wanted to buy a car. He agreed to help me out to get me in to something newer/more reliable than what I could pay for on my own and I would pay him back. I tried to buy a couple SN95s but was veto'd each time as my insurance premium for the first year exceeded the purchase price. Foxes he ruled out as he knew I would just go full send with it and end up in a tree. Eventually I ended up in a reliable commuter for University which appeased him until I cut the springs and put a body kit on it....

I messed around with sport compact stuff for a few years there after by virtue of financial capabilities until my peer group encouraged me to get into RWD V8. I initially looked for a clean 5.0 but upon finding nothing in my price range but tetanus ended up in a base model 4th Gen Firebird Formula. The car was fast, sounded great, but overall was not enjoyable to drive for anything more than short line blasts. Its reliability was also terrible. I unloaded that car after 2 years of ownership and began to hunt for a New Edge.

On October 8 2009 I traveled from Windsor to Halton Hills to meet up with a gentleman selling a 2000 GT Convertible in Triple Black. Price was right and I was jonesing so the deal took all of 15 minutes to make. I never test drove the car, I took one look at it and said "I'll take it". Drove it home that day after some excitement racing to the MTO 5 minutes before close to get it plated. Been modifying it ever since meeting new people along the way. About a year after purchasing my car I ended up meeting my former neighbor who at the time still had his BAB GT now Cobra swapped. He had the original Roush bumper off his car which was slightly damaged and was getting rid of it to go with a new fascia. I jumped on that in a heartbeat and now have a part of my all time high school dream car, on my current car.

The Newmare
09-23-2019, 10:41 AM
how I met my present mustang....walked into Bill's office at Heritage Ford,sat down and said lets order me a brand new 2015 Mustang GT/PP and a few months later he introduced me and well the rest is history!!!

Quicksilver
09-23-2019, 04:41 PM
Way back in the spring of 1974 I was newly married. We had a 1973 Datsun 510 coupe with all sorts of mods(even then I was crazy). I hated when my wife drove it, because she didn't let it warm up, and she'd let the clutch chatter and she'd grind the gears, and stomp on the brakes, and perform all sorts of other nasties on that car that bothered the hell out of me.
So one day I said I was going to buy a car for her. I dragged her all over the city looking at every kind of car there was (except Chevies)and she turned he nose up at everything. Finally, one day, I found what I thought was the perfect car. I gave the guy a $50 deposit on the car(we'd agreed on a price of $1200), and took my wife to see it. She turned it down flat, and the guy refused to give me back my deposit. What was it?
a 1966 Mustang GT convertible, 289 4 barrel, with 4 speed manual, white top and white interior with a fire engine red body. I almost cried.
I went out the next day and bought myself a motorcycle to console my grief. Which bike I smacked up a few months later.
Fast forward 21 years. Summer 1995. Business was terrible. I was forced into bankruptcy, and was reduced to driving a 1992 Dodge Spirit that my in laws sold me, cheap. Somewhere along the line, when both my wife and I were feeling sorry for ourselves, I said to her that things would get better, and guess what, I'm gonna get a brand new Mustang convertible and we will recover.
3 years later: December 1998. I went to Markville Ford and ordered a brand new 1999 Mustang GT convertible. Tan top, tan interior, burgundy paint. Rhonda bought me chrome aftermarket wheels as a present.
I put 95,ooo km on it, then ordered a brand new 03 Cobra. Life was good.
Things change though. After having had 7 Mustangs, a Jaguar F-type wormed it's way into my life. I've had it 2 months and I've done 10,000 km already.

As an afternote: guess what my wife desperately wants, now that I have my dream car? a red 1966 Mustang convertible!!

Jack Raccoon!
09-23-2019, 05:16 PM
Way back in the spring of 1974 I was newly married. We had a 1973 Datsun 510 coupe with all sorts of mods(even then I was crazy). I hated when my wife drove it, because she didn't let it warm up, and she'd let the clutch chatter and she'd grind the gears, and stomp on the brakes, and perform all sorts of other nasties on that car that bothered the hell out of me.
So one day I said I was going to buy a car for her. I dragged her all over the city looking at every kind of car there was (except Chevies)and she turned he nose up at everything. Finally, one day, I found what I thought was the perfect car. I gave the guy a $50 deposit on the car(we'd agreed on a price of $1200), and took my wife to see it. She turned it down flat, and the guy refused to give me back my deposit. What was it?
a 1966 Mustang GT convertible, 289 4 barrel, with 4 speed manual, white top and white interior with a fire engine red body. I almost cried.
I went out the next day and bought myself a motorcycle to console my grief. Which bike I smacked up a few months later.
Fast forward 21 years. Summer 1995. Business was terrible. I was forced into bankruptcy, and was reduced to driving a 1992 Dodge Spirit that my in laws sold me, cheap. Somewhere along the line, when both my wife and I were feeling sorry for ourselves, I said to her that things would get better, and guess what, I'm gonna get a brand new Mustang convertible and we will recover.
3 years later: December 1998. I went to Markville Ford and ordered a brand new 1999 Mustang GT convertible. Tan top, tan interior, burgundy paint. Rhonda bought me chrome aftermarket wheels as a present.
Things change though. After having had 7 Mustangs, a Jaguar F-type wormed it's way into my life. I've had it 2 months and I've done 10,000 km already.

As an afternote: guess what my wife desperately wants, now that I have my dream car? a red 1966 Mustang convertible!!What? Really?! You bought a Jag? Congrats! I guess I haven't been on the forum for a while to hear the great news! Awesome! Great story leading up to the new to you purchase! You set the tone with subtle nuances. Drag our emotions down with despair. Lift us high to meet Jesus with a win for the common man! Woohoo I see a nomination for the Scotiabank Giller Prize! Nominations are open now!

https://scotiabankgillerprize.ca/

Ponyryd
09-24-2019, 09:35 PM

As an afternote: guess what my wife desperately wants, now that I have my dream car? a red 1966 Mustang convertible!!

Lol, just talked to a buddy today who has a ‘66 vert K-code car he’s planning to sell very soon. Apparently it’s some kinda very rare car.

Zutz2v
10-13-2019, 11:09 PM
Always wanted a mustang since I laid eyes on my neighbours blue fox with the chrome steels. I’d been in love ever since.

Fast forward 2017, I’m now 27 and in the middle of divorce. Needed to take my mind off things. Was looking at 99-04 GTs. Always loved those cars for some reason. My cousin a car dealer convinced me to buy a 87 GTA trans am instead. Bought it cheap but car needed work and in my mind it just wasn’t a mustang. Spring of 2018 I dump the GTA. For a year I kept looking at regular GTs and I couldn’t shake that I wanted that car so I kept my eyes and ears open.

Spring 2019 comes round and I start looking hard. I found some clean GTs but must of them were in Ottawa and montreal and the owners wanted a lot for a base GT all original, never could go see the cars fast enough.

Kept looking on AutoTrader here in Toronto. Seen a beautiful 03 Sonic blue Vert all pimped out. Car was 9k out of my price range. Car dealer cousin tells me to low ball offer the guy for a Hail Mary attempt at getting my car. Obviously buddy declines the offer.

2 weeks passed and I get a phone call from the owner of the sonic blue, guy tells me to come look at the car. He fires it up and instantly knew I wanted the car more then I wanted air in my lungs.

I make him the offer, he makes me wait 2 weeks until he finally agrees. Car come with 17 inch cobra rims, 3.73s, stag 2 racing clutch and a V2 blower. Can’t tell you how happy I am to own this car. I’d only be willing to sell for the same car in same colour but Cobra. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191014/d3c01846f477b84df91e14dd1ee514a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zutz2v
10-13-2019, 11:13 PM
Back in grade school we used to walk to my buddies place for lunch everyday, I was probably 14 at the time. His older brother had a '86 GT with T-tops. When he was around he would drive us back to school and just rip on it. I fell in love with it. I said I would own one of these one day.

Move ahead 20 years, after looking all over Ontario for a '85GT T-Top, probably looked at about 15 that I was told were "mint", and after about 2 years of searching ,I found my car 5 mins away from my house. It was in good shape and brought it home the next day.
Spent the next 2 years tinkering to bring it up to my standards, buying up spare parts and stuff.

In 2010, saw on the other board that a 2003 sonic blue cobra vert came for sale. Always loved the cobra's, and sonic blue was my fav colour. After a bit of number crunching, made my way over to see it.
As the garage was opening the car started to show itself, in my mind it was already sold. The subsequent test drive just firmed up my mind. Stopped at the ATM on the way back on the test drive and handed over a deposit. 2 days later it was in my driveway.

Nothing was better in my mind than opening up my garage and seeing two of my favorite cars sitting in there, side by side.

For some stupid reason, I convinced myself to put the '85 for sale because when I got the cobra, I never drove it much again. Sold the '85 in 2012, and miss it dearly. But I must admit, the cobra is just one crazy ride.

You ever sell that car you must tell me first. It’s gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screw
10-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Lots of muscle car influences in my area growing up . Best bang for buck was the foxbody, first one was a Capri RS turbo 79 then to an 83 Gt . Spent too much time hanging around this shop on Barbados that was run by 2 Portuguese brothers lol .
A Tomato can , a sleeper Cougar and HotFords 82 Gt were present in that era ;)
Marriage , kids , car seat in a fox for 1 yr then the minivans for around 16 yrs . Once my son turned 16 I bought him a Vista Blue V6 to start & then things progressed to a GT & he was also hooked lol . Currently sans Mustang but don’t think it will be long b4 there’s at least one Mustang in the garage.

Gr8Stang
10-14-2019, 01:18 PM
Have enjoyed reading everyone else's stories!!

Here's mine:

My dad and his brothers were all into muscle cars, so I was destined to fall in love with them. My dad had a 70 Torino GT....351 Cleveland, 4 Barrel, with a Hurst 4 spd. on the floor and his brothers late 60's early 70's mustangs...including Mach and Boss 302 and....a Pantera! I was too young to drive any of them, though I did get a ride from Oshawa to Union station in the Pantera. That was very cool.

As a teenager I wanted an 80's Mustang LX 5.0...so bad. Got to drive my parents friends Mustang Pace Car....and that's the closest I got. Fast forward to me getting married and needing a 4 door sedan. I managed to convince my wife to upgrade from our little 88 Ford Tempo to a used 89 Taurus SHO (in 95). My first peformance car. And man it didn't disappoint. What a sleeper. Surprised a few Mustangs....and other makes with it.

In 2000 I finally got my chance to own my first Mustang....a 99 GT Coupe. From there I went to a 99 35th Anniversary Vert (my first convertible...and I loved it), Then I fell in love with the 03/04 Mach 1's...and bought a low mile 03 Azure Blue beauty from a Mercedes Benz dealer on the east coast of all places! Bought the car based just on the pictures on Autotrader and had it shipped to me. I was fortunate to have a friend not far from the dealer....go and see it to confirm it was a great ride....and it was. Only thing I did was put lowering springs and a tune on it.

Then....I got the need for speed and was bitten by the Cobra bug. Found a beautiful, modified 04 Oxford White Vert with less than 50K kms. on it. Enjoyed the car briefly....before a piston wrist pin broke. My first bad experience with a Mustang. Considered getting the motor fixed, but with not knowing how much that might end up costing, decided to cut my losses and sold the car for a song to Rich-C as he had the time, space and inclination to replace the motor.

It wasn't long before I got the itch again for another Mustang though and now the new 2012 Boss 302 was out. Found an older gentlemen in Ajax with a Race Red one for sale and only 4400 kms. on it. Got a good deal on it and bought it. This car was incredible. The sound with the side dumps and rear exhaust, the handling and the cool track key made it very special. So different from the previous generations I'd driven. Took it to Mosport 3 yrs. in a row for Mustangs @ Mosport and it was amazing. It remains my favorite....so far.

Finally, decided it was time to try the resurected Shelby GT500. Went on the hunt in the early summer of 2018 and after taking both a Vert and a Coupe out, I found my 08 GT500 at a dealer in Guelph. Ironically....I had test driven a red 07 coupe in the same area earlier. Car was originally sold in Arizona, then purchased by Legendary Motorcar in Milton, who sold it in trade for a 70 Boss 302, where the new owner had it for almost 10 yrs. He decided it was time to move on and traded it in to a local dealer in Guelph and pick up an RV! Have owned it now since Aug. 2018. Only had a little over 23K Kms. on it. Has a lot of giddy up, most of all the Mustangs I've owned and hearing the whine of the SC puts a smile ear to ear on my face every time. Told my wife this is my last Mustang....unless I win the lottery, in which case a 67/68 GT500 will find its way into my garage.

Screw
10-16-2019, 08:09 PM
....waiting for Newbs’s story ;)

Stephen06GT
01-25-2020, 12:11 PM
TTT

RedSN
01-25-2020, 07:40 PM
In the beginning, there was a ‘78 T-bird. My first car, loved it, 302, factory 8-track. Next car was an ‘83 Celica. So much fun, RWD, 5-speed, nimble. But I always thought if I could marry those two cars the result would be perfect.

Finally, in 2000, I got myself a ‘90 Mustang LX notch. Drove it and worked on it for several years, but while I was doing an axle swap and staring at all the rust under the car I realized this was never going to be the car I wanted.

That’s when a red ‘94 GT came up for sale on the GTAMC. I bought the car from a member named Stampede. From there, I transferred all the mods I did on the ‘90, onto my new ‘94, and ditched the AODE for a T5. And after my first track day at TMP I knew what direction I wanted to take the car. I learned a lot on my first Mustang, but I never really had a plan. And, well, here I am, years later, still slowly working on it. Eventually, I will get that HCI originally destined for the ‘90 installed onto the ‘94.

90GT
01-26-2020, 12:51 PM
So.. like a lot of us, got my first 5.0 (1990 LX hatch) when i was 17 as my first car. Had that car for 10 years...modified the hell out of it. When i was 27, had a bad night and wrecked the car. I was devastated! I couldnt afford another at the time and thought the era was over. Years later I still missed owning a mustang so I decided to get another. I looked for a couple years as my budget was LOW. One day I went to Port Union to see a 1990 GT that was being sold for $1200 because the owner was moving to Boston for work. All I knew is that it was a 1 owner, HIGH kms car that had "some suspension mods". When I got to see the car in person, it looked like your standard GT, red, and in ROUGH shape. It had 390,000kms!!! I was crawling all over the car, underneath I noticed a red k member brace with a "DECH" plate welded on!! What was this!? I asked myself!!... I quickly checked the rear... GRABBERS, DECH springs AND a DECH PHB...WTF!? I asked...was this a DECH car?! The owner said after he bought it brand new...a few years later in 1993 he brought the car to DECH and had all the suspension installed. What a find i thought!! After some back and forth I drove the car home later that night for $800 bones!!! Since then its been completely restored.. changed the colour, added the DECH skirt kit and wing blah blah blah. I had kept in contact with the original owner for a few years after, but, when I showed him pics of the complete teardown, colour change, interior change and all the rest, He got super pissed off and cut off contact!! haha...he hated the changes...said I "ruined his car!" and I never talked to him again...hahaha..! Ive had the car 8 years now and LOVE every bit of it!...sorry buddy!

ZR
01-26-2020, 01:30 PM
Good on ya for making it 100% your car.

hsousa88
01-26-2020, 02:27 PM
Always wanted a fox.. looked at a ton of them in my price range. Found mine 3 hours away.. thought it was super clean. Was a noobie back then, had the shock towers repaired. It’s a good driver, far from mint but I love it.

ZR
01-26-2020, 06:46 PM
Really like the wheel n tire combo you went with Hugo, epic cool.

1BAD92LX
01-26-2020, 10:17 PM
I graduated high school in ‘99 and started work at a 2 bay repair shop/gas station.(remember those?) There was an older gentleman that had a black ‘88 notch 5L 5 speed. Sometimes we would fix it but mostly he just came by to shoot the breeze. But he always left 2 long black burn out marks leaving the shop. I still remember his name too. Thought it was the coolest car ever. So I told myself I had to have one eventually when the insurance payment was actually realistic. Turned 25 and started half assly looking for a mustang. Quite awhile later found my current car and purchased it from the original family.( Father sold it to his son ). It’s been a drain on my bank account ever since but always puts a smile on my face

ZR
01-27-2020, 06:28 AM
Best part, you've kept it all stock.

1BAD92LX
01-27-2020, 12:40 PM
Ya stock.... 100%

ZR
01-27-2020, 03:27 PM
That makes how fast you are just that much more impressive.

Stephen06GT
05-12-2020, 09:12 AM
TTT

FABMAN
05-15-2020, 07:36 AM
I guess I will add to this thread. I bought my first Mustang at 18, working part time jobs since the age of 13 I saved all my money and bought a red with black interior 90 Mustang LX 5.0 with a 5-speed in 1993. Car only had about 40km on it but it had been an write-off accident repair car. Shortly after getting it, got into an accident in a winter storm and the previous bad repair showed it’s ugly head and essentially the car needed a whole front clip so it was written off.

Stayed away from Mustangs while I went to school, and only bought cars I could drive all year round (even made the mistake of buying a 2 year old 95 Probe GT....worst car I have ever owned).

Once I got fed up with the Probe always being in the shop I decided to factory order a loaded new Silver 2000 Mustang GT coupe (5-speed) with black interior...many mods later I ended up owning it for 11 years. Met a lot a good people with that car (some are gone now, others I am glad to say I still see every year). I even took my wife out for our first date and both my kids first ride in that 2000 Mustang GT.

In 2011, I decided to part ways with it and got out of the hobby to raise my kids, build (and Reno) our house.

Fast forward to 2017, I had decided to close a contracting business that I had on the side for several years and needed to sell the RAM pickup...I had my eye on a fully loaded 2017 Mustang GT premium (PP1) with only 7500km that was recently traded in the fall and had been sitting in the showroom at the Ford dealer.

The 17 looked a little dorky when it was stock being magnetic metal with silver PP1 rims, it sat high but it had all the right options and ingredients in a 1-owner accident free car. In December 2017, I was able to make a deal to trade the RAM and I brought home what has been affectionately named “Sinister”.

With the good help of ZR, a good parts budget, the car is everything I wanted in a Mustang.

This is how he looks today: