PDA

View Full Version : Historical Plates...

True Blue
11-08-2015, 08:31 PM
What's the exact rules and regulations that are attached to historical plates? Can't find any straight info on this, even on MTO's site.

I know the vehicle must be 30 years plus. Used for car shows and parades. What else? Can the vehicle be driven on the highway? Do cops target vehicles with historical plates? The car in question is pretty close to stock except for an exhaust system.

Thanks!

ZR
11-08-2015, 08:47 PM
Found this online

http://www.vintagecarconnection.com/yom_plates.htm

True Blue
11-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Thanks Rick, that link is for those plates for "Year of Manufacture"

I'm talking about these ones...

http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/Ontario2/onjun2007historic.jpg

fast Ed
11-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Didn't see anything on the MTO site myself either. From what I remember, the vehicles registered with that type of plate are supposed to be used for exhibition only, shows, parades, etc. Although you see lots of classic cars driving around with them on that are likely used for more than that.

cheers
Ed

True Blue
11-08-2015, 09:45 PM
^^^ exactly!!! I see a ton of classic cars with these plates, some heavily mod, some stock. I know the sticker renewal is only $18/year for these plates!

fast Ed
11-08-2015, 11:40 PM
That's the other thing, car they're attached to is supposed to be a stock example ... and then you see a set on a Pro-Streeted 60s or 70s car.

ZR
11-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Gone round n round on the MTO site, can't see anything either. Suggest stopping in at a lic office for more info.

True Blue
11-09-2015, 10:42 AM
I would love to stop into my local lic office, but the waiting line is about an hour long no matter what time you go.

I pulled this info from the OTA forum that a cop posted up...

(OREG 628)
“historic vehicle” means, a motor vehicle that,
(a) is at least 30 years old,
(b) is operated on a highway in parades, for purposes of exhibition, tours or similar functions organized by a properly constituted automobile club or for purposes of repair, testing or demonstration for sale,
(c) is substantially unchanged or unmodified from the original manufacturer’s product, and
(d) does not have attached to it year-of-manufacture plates

So, if a vehicle does not comply with the definition it would then NOT be a "historic vehicle". If it is not "historic vehicle" then the plates are not authorized for the vehicle. Eg. person puts their historic plates on their 1970 Corvette, however the vehicle does have a year-of-manufacturer plate. Still unauthorized plates as it does not meet criteria (d).

Unauthorized plates can be seized, driver arrested and vehicle held until disposition of case.

I can not recall ever stopping a vehicle with historic plates. Usually those cars "stink" ;) and I don't want to be anywhere close.
This is my reasoning how I came to the conclusion that the plates can be seized.

ZR
11-09-2015, 10:43 AM
Saw that, makes person wonder why more that clearly don't meet the criteria still have historic plates on em.

True Blue
11-09-2015, 11:06 AM
From what I've been reading, a lot of the cops don't know nothing about them or their purpose.

ZR
11-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Makes sense why you see so many on rides that aren't original.