PDA

View Full Version : If I built an electric HiPo Fox?

stangstevers
11-09-2015, 08:54 AM
This is strictly hypothetical but I am researching and toying with the idea of building an electric fox. One of the reasons why I'd like to keep the old 302 stock and waste my money on brakes and suspension... I'll either make it a Coyote swap or go balls out and go electric. Both a pipe dream at the moment but got me thinking.

Anyway, as you know Ontario is bat shit crazy when it comes to engine swaps. There's NO documentation on electric drivetrain swaps, if following the rule book I have to:

1) pass 1987 Emissions. LOL
2) I can get fined by the smog cops for not having; cats, EGR, air pump, etc... (Again LOL)
3) No insurance in Ontario would insure me, so I'd have to risk driving the car.

It's all hog wash at the moment anyway, I mean I won't have the budget to make a 9 second electric muscle machine like the Zombie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U-CZ3ao3sM Also kind of disturbing to smoke tires with a vacuum cleaner motor lol. Right now for under 10k you get like 50 to 100hp... blah! Seems to range $10,000 per 100 HP. A 400Hp electric motor (alone) is $40,000 US. Ouch! Coyote Swaps are starting to drop in price, I found a junked F150 and the guy was asking 2500 for the engine (Sold now, if you're wondering). I'm sure for under 15k, I'd have a 6 speed Coyote 5.0 with the FMS harness/computer and swap K-member + etc...

RedSN
11-09-2015, 09:27 AM
Always been a cool idea. But then you lose the classic Mustang sound.
Speedtospare is the electric motor wizzard.

Friend of mine converted a sailboat to electric. Silent running no matter what sailing conditions.