PDA

View Full Version : Space heaters (for finished basement)?

92redragtop
12-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Looking for some experience/advice on space heaters - it will be used in a finished basement that is cooler than the upper 2 floors of the house.

It will be used primarily near a desk we have in the basement if someone is sitting at the desk (typically my wife and she's more sensitive to the cold - even though I'm the one from the tropics).

I see CT has a sale on them this week but there are many to choose from, tower, ceramic, quartz, halogen, oil filled, etc.

Is there one that's better for heating performance (let's say over 1-4 hours), reliability, safety, etc?

Thanks!

Canuckcleaner
12-24-2015, 01:20 PM
I have a few customers that are Home Hardwares. These sell awesome for them and work fantastic from what I'm told.

http://m.homehardware.ca/h5/m/en/r/hh/en/rec/index.htm/Heating-Ventilation-Cooling-Home-Comfort/Heating/Heaters/Portable-Convection/1500-Watt-Wood-Grain-Infrared-Heater/_/N-ntl2r/R-I3836542

1986stangfan
12-24-2015, 02:34 PM
I have one of these. Works fantastic http://www.amazon.com/Eco-heater-NA400S-Wall-Mounted-Ceramic-Convection/dp/B004FAMXL0

5.4MarkVIII
12-24-2015, 02:52 PM
We used to sell those wood box ones years ago before the big guys took them on.
People seem to like them. But customer service from the manufacturing was seriously lacking.

I've always found the best results from a radiant or convection style than an eliment or fan style.
Less swings of temp and more efficient. But they take longer to warm up.

First thing I would look into is why it's so cold in the basement.
When it was finished did they cover up or close some of the vents?
If you can use the furnace that is already running that would be the cheapest/ easiest route. In my place the back room gets cold due to less air flow so I close half the vents in the front of the house which balances the temp out and keeps the back room warmer.

92redragtop
12-24-2015, 04:07 PM
We used to sell those wood box ones years ago before the big guys took them on.
People seem to like them. But customer service from the manufacturing was seriously lacking.

I've always found the best results from a radiant or convection style than an eliment or fan style.
Less swings of temp and more efficient. But they take longer to warm up.

First thing I would look into is why it's so cold in the basement.
When it was finished did they cover up or close some of the vents?
If you can use the furnace that is already running that would be the cheapest/ easiest route. In my place the back room gets cold due to less air flow so I close half the vents in the front of the house which balances the temp out and keeps the back room warmer.

I'm not sure why it's cold(er) - it's a walkout basement with the back half exposed, large glass door and window - does that make it more prone to cold or less? The vents that were there prior to finishing are still there and they may have added an extra one (I don't recall how many the builder originally installed. though).

92redragtop
12-24-2015, 04:08 PM
I have a few customers that are Home Hardwares. These sell awesome for them and work fantastic from what I'm told.

http://m.homehardware.ca/h5/m/en/r/hh/en/rec/index.htm/Heating-Ventilation-Cooling-Home-Comfort/Heating/Heaters/Portable-Convection/1500-Watt-Wood-Grain-Infrared-Heater/_/N-ntl2r/R-I3836542

I've seen those around but wasn't sure if they were any better than the cheaper/standard units. Don't mind paying for it if it's a better product (except maybe a $500 Dyson - big jump in price).

92redragtop
12-24-2015, 04:09 PM
I have one of these. Works fantastic http://www.amazon.com/Eco-heater-NA400S-Wall-Mounted-Ceramic-Convection/dp/B004FAMXL0

I think those would work better for a bathroom or similar room?

5.4MarkVIII
12-24-2015, 04:11 PM
each branch from the main warm air header should have a damper in it so you can balance without having to close vents.

Century home that needs the vents upgraded badly. No dampers. Lol.
It has only one vent run to the entire upstairs. 6 vents on the main floor in the front and 4 in the back addition.

Oliver47
08-01-2019, 05:00 AM
This is difficult to answer, how often are you going to need the heat? How cold is it down in your finished basement (https://capablegroupinc.ca/)? You have to remember the fuel is going to be about 3X, short term you'll save some money but long term it's a loser. Can you section a spot off with some drapes and primarily heat that spot?

Quicksilver
08-01-2019, 09:37 AM
We have an old farmhouse and the variation from room to room is significant, even though we put in a new furnace last year. We have tried all sorts of different heaters and to be honest the small 20 or 30 dollar fans seem to work best, although they have a relatively short life. The "tower style" heaters that rotate also work well. Our was $65 on sale.
We have one of those wood boxes(paid $150 for it)and it is next to useless.

RedSN
08-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Well, it's a lot warmer now than it was in 2015, you know global warming and all,
so you might just want to keep that basement a bit cooler.

stangstevers
08-01-2019, 10:10 AM
What's your circuit in the area... do you have some 20 amp circuits with 12ga Romex? I can't stand those "1500w" space heaters that end up on a circuit with 5 other plugs... Just asking for eventual trouble.

Screw
08-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Add a bottom vent to serve the basement, sorry for the late response eh