PDA

View Full Version : Hurst Bad Service

Naper
04-18-2016, 03:43 PM
My 91 LX has a Hurst shifter. The rubber boot has split so I decided to replace it. I checked Hurst's web site but they don't list parts so I called customer service. Guess What !!!! they don't sell parts unless you have the original receipt. This shifter is 3+ years old so of coarse I don't have the receipt. I wasn't trying to scam a freebe I was trying to buy it. I called back spoke to a supervisor, same story. You can not buy parts for Hurst B&M or Flowmaster with out the receipt NO WAY NO HOW.

Armen
04-18-2016, 03:58 PM
https://lmr.com/products/79-93-Mustang-Shifters-Shift-Knobs

See if 50resto can get it for you.

Naper
04-18-2016, 04:03 PM
https://lmr.com/products/79-93-Mustang-Shifters-Shift-Knobs

See if 50resto can get it for you.

Thats not the point. Why would a company not back up their products with service parts

Armen
04-18-2016, 04:09 PM
My apologies. I thought getting a replacement was the point. If the point was just to bitch, then please carry on.

Naper
04-18-2016, 05:41 PM
My apologies. I thought getting a replacement was the point. If the point was just to bitch, then please carry on.

Summit Racing helped me out. Hurst Manager told me Summit doesn't have parts and what i will get is a knock off. Its a giant run around.

ZR
04-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Good to hear your fixed up. Hurst boots n prematurely ripping has been a common complaint for some time. Assume thats what happened to yours.

Ponyryd
04-18-2016, 05:58 PM
^Ya, they always tear, nothing new. I can't believe they won't sell you the boot though, that's pretty dumb, I'm sure they know it's a common complaint, why not make it available and make more money? Whenever installing one I always loosely secure it to the shaft with a black zip-tie, that way the load is on the tie and not on the rubber.

Naper
04-18-2016, 06:39 PM
Here's the number 707-544-4761 call see what they say.

BLK302
04-30-2016, 10:06 AM
check out coreshifters.com, they supply Hurst, skip the middlemen and save some money

MEANMCHN
04-30-2016, 10:38 AM
I switched from a B&M to a Hurst and wish I didn't. Even a 10 year old B&M had better feel than the Hurst...

Anyone tried the Tri-Ax?

tulowd
04-30-2016, 05:31 PM
Hurst handles break easily; shifter precision is ok, maybe a 7/10 in overall perf vs stock

I have a Pro5.0, its better, maybe a 8.0/10 and seems unbreakable; using a Steeda Triax handle.
The shift knob is an often overlooked component; by far my favourite is the SVO leather full length version.

The MGW is the best shifter mechanism out there; precision = Barrett .50 cal breech; fully adjustable handle position/location as well.
https://www.mgwshifters.com/

The other parts can be purchased from various sources.

Mrods
04-30-2016, 05:32 PM
My 91 LX has a Hurst shifter. The rubber boot has split so I decided to replace it. I checked Hurst's web site but they don't list parts so I called customer service. Guess What !!!! they don't sell parts unless you have the original receipt. This shifter is 3+ years old so of coarse I don't have the receipt. I wasn't trying to scam a freebe I was trying to buy it. I called back spoke to a supervisor, same story. You can not buy parts for Hurst B&M or Flowmaster with out the receipt NO WAY NO HOW.

That is a bizarre policy given it is design to work with a Hurst only shifter? Did they try to rationalize this with you at all?

Ponyryd
04-30-2016, 05:52 PM
I switched from a B&M to a Hurst and wish I didn't. Even a 10 year old B&M had better feel than the Hurst...

Anyone tried the Tri-Ax?

Tri-Ax is awesome, my favourite shifter, had two of them in different cars, always precise and quiet, but not notchy. But I disagree with you on the b&m comparison, I didn't like my b&m near as much as my Hurst, although the hurst was using a stock handle.
Only one I have not tried yet is mgw, but never heard a bad thing about them.

ZR
04-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Recent shifters in my own T56,
B&M, in for a very short time. Notchy and not at all precise.
Steeda Tri ax, precise but effort was high ish and only ok for smooth operation, still a good option.
Pro 5.0 (installed today), precise, smooth as silk, much reduced effort, so far a home run. Had one in my last Cobra with same results.
Hurst in my previous T5, would not give you a rotten nickel for it. However, if notchy feel is right for you, this shifter would be a win.

Naper
05-02-2016, 07:33 PM
That is a bizarre policy given it is design to work with a Hurst only shifter? Did they try to rationalize this with you at all?
They claim too many people are buying used shifters at garage sales and flea markets then buying parts to rebuild them. Their thinking is if they don't sell parts customers have to buy complete new shifters. Could you imagine Ford saying We are not selling parts for used cars because we want customers to buy new cars.

Scrape
05-02-2016, 07:47 PM
It sounds like that Hurst is full of BS! What is with BS Customer service nowadays. I keep hearing a lot of this and it sucks!