PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs

maxwell6
05-01-2016, 03:13 PM
Need recommendations on new plugs 02 GT 4.6 2V supercharged. Using NGK TR6 now but heard they wear quik, any that will last longer and work well.

ZR
05-01-2016, 03:41 PM
You've already got the best plugs in there. Heard the same wear fast stuff rumors, easily get two seasons outta them in my own car before changing as a matter of good maint. Thats at 17-18lbs of boost n drive the piss outta it.
I have however had problems with the so called "best plugs to use" like the much more expensive EIX or similar.

maxwell6
05-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Thanks ZR having some bogging issues thought it might be plugs, but these are relatively new plugs less than 3k on them. Checked them last week and found them looking a little leen. Will look elsewhere like fuel pump.

ZR
05-01-2016, 05:09 PM
If in doubt, always clean MAF first.
What gap are you running?
How much boost?

MEANMCHN
05-01-2016, 06:40 PM
Thanks ZR having some bogging issues thought it might be plugs, but these are relatively new plugs less than 3k on them. Checked them last week and found them looking a little leen. Will look elsewhere like fuel pump.

You can definitely tell if it's plugs when you're bogging, they're fairly consistent and it's usually rough at lower rpm like cruising in 5th on the highway. I had the stock 03/04 Cobra pump in my car but it was 10 years old and was showing it's age (mainly through 4000-6000rpm it would have surges). Paul at PSP replaced the pump with a custom dual pump and Diego tuned it and it's buttery smooth all the way through 7,000rpm.

maxwell6
05-02-2016, 07:18 AM
Running .030 gap and 17 psi boost, I just had a problem with spark plug hole stripped. Installed an insert,cleaned cylinder really good, reinstalled plug, checked torque was 16lb. Did this friday after work was out all day Saturday ran great pulled fine no bogging. Went out Sunday morning drove from Sutton to North York all was good. Got gas at Shell with a 1/4 tank left by the time I got to sutton it started bogging again. Im thinking it might be bad gas.I always select the highest octane available. It was tuned for 91 octane. BTW checked to see if plug backed off and it was good.

ZR
05-02-2016, 07:32 AM
So plugs and gap are where they should be. I'd still clean the MAF and see if it rallies, only takes a single drop from an oiled filter to make it act funky.

maxwell6
05-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Thanks ZR I will clean the MAF for sure.

Tailites
05-02-2016, 01:04 PM
if it changed after your fill up...I would suspect fuel...if it ran fine before that
a lot of winter gas has different chemicals in it...also where you buy fuel
our fuel in Ont is just a little better than pee...try some petro can 94 if you can find a gas station
that has a good turn over...the ones that are always busy or even a Shell 91 that goes thru
lots of fuel...it will be fresher...(first hand experience btw)...or just pm Jibbs on here
he can tell you ALL about break downs on cars with bad fuel...he works for CAA

maxwell6
05-02-2016, 03:05 PM
Thanks Tailites going to try some octane boost and clean the MAF. Tank is full no room for 94.

maxwell6
05-03-2016, 08:29 PM
Think I figured out my bogging problem. Had my buddy check amperage draw with SCT data reader while driving,and found amperage dropping to 11 amps when getting on it. Seems like my bap is not getting enough amps to drive up my pumps, looks like I need higher amp alternator.

maxwell6
05-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Changed out alternator so far so good. Not bogging at wot pulling hard.