PDA

View Full Version : After market blowers and insurance...

Stephen06GT
05-25-2016, 08:11 AM
Question for those of you that went from N/A to forced induction, how did you handle the change with your insurance company?

Uncle Buck
05-25-2016, 08:25 AM
Not a done deal yet but got a quote and verbal "looks like you qualify" from Hagerty yesterday. I had to call direct since when I went through a local broker I was told my car was too new (<15years) and not worth enough <$40k) for the Hagerty products.

Once I get fully approved I can provide more detail but was told the only mods that are out of bounds are cages, roll bars and nitrous. FI is fine. In the application package I received they include a comprehensive questionnaire on the car mods so they know what they are insuring.

Typical usage restrictions. Can't be a DD, limited mileage, storage must be secure etc and no young drivers on the policy.

WTF
05-25-2016, 11:05 AM
way back when I switched to Zehr.....the car did not have the KB.....but there were mods

so I emailed them my current list of mods and my planned future mods saying I wasn't going to do the blower unless they would agree to cover me

basically I let them know exactly what they were insuring every step of the way...and it was never a problem

Laffs
05-25-2016, 11:06 AM
Having a blower actually helped me qualify for Hagerty under modified late model.

NickD
05-25-2016, 01:53 PM
I've decided to switch insurance company's and would prefer to have my daily and mustang though the same company. Who do you all use?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Harbinger
05-25-2016, 09:18 PM
I use allstate. 2003 mach 1 , 180 per month full coverage

newbiestangowner
05-25-2016, 09:27 PM
hey Nick I use allstate but all 3 vehicles and home is with them - less than $100/mnth for the stang alone

Monera3v
05-25-2016, 10:24 PM
When I get a blower, should I advise my insurance?

baddbullitt
05-26-2016, 08:22 AM
Question for those of you that went from N/A to forced induction, how did you handle the change with your insurance company?

Simple.. I just told them this is the way I bought the car and had no idea what modifications were.. ;)

ZR
05-26-2016, 08:29 AM
When I had the GT, said zero to them. Didn't ask if it was modded, did not volunteer a thing. After all, how many cars here are 100% stock and who are we to determine at which point we should speak up. Unless your looking to insure the additional mods, see only downside to speaking up.
If it is to become a summer only / pleasure ride with an agreed or appraised value through Hagerty or similar, hell yes you need to air all.
JMO

Mrods
05-26-2016, 07:42 PM
Do any of you have a particular person you deal with at Hagerty? I need to call them also. I have disclosed zero mods to my ins co. That said, I bought it box stock and no one has asked. But I expect I would be screwed on actual value now vs. box stock in the event of an accident.

tulowd
05-26-2016, 07:55 PM
Do any of you have a particular person you deal with at Hagerty? I need to call them also. I have disclosed zero mods to my ins co. That said, I bought it box stock and no one has asked. But I expect I would be screwed on actual value now vs. box stock in the event of an accident.

I have always dealt with Hagerty head office in the US. Great people. Been with them 5yrs, one claim that was handled expeditiously and correctly. Would highly recommend them for anyone eligible.

Uncle Buck
05-26-2016, 08:11 PM
X2 I just sent an inquiry through the Canadian website and that got the ball rolling

Clutt gt
05-26-2016, 09:30 PM
Every one always talks about what you will get if you have a problem. I understand that thought but if something happens to your modded car that may be the last thing you need to worry about.
Example
Say you buy your Stang for $20,000 and you spend another $20,000. Now your in an accident and the adjuster tells you the car is worth $15,000. That sucks.
But it can look like this
You buy your Stang for $20,000 and you spend another $20,000. Now your in an accident and the adjuster tells you your claim has been denied due to misrepresentation. Your getting $0 and that lady that stopped to fast I front of you? Her neck hurts and she can't work. She is suing you for loss wages and pain and suffering.
So now you've learned your lesson but can't find any insurance company that wants your business be cause of the misrepresentation issue.
The $40,000 you lost on the car can be the small problem here.

HyperGT
05-26-2016, 10:21 PM
bingo ^^^^

Speedtospare
05-28-2016, 12:32 AM
I just have agreed value on the car of 25K. Pretty much covers the car and mods. I dont have any restriction for driving the car and I pay just under $100 a month through intact. I will be changing to hagarty later this year. Its cheaper and I dont drive it daily.

Mrods
05-28-2016, 08:33 AM
All great points for full disclosure in my case. Will connect with Hagerty and get the ball rolling.

Mrods
05-28-2016, 09:26 AM
Just spoke to Hagerty. Great customer experience. Simple process. Just asked for $40k for my 08 GT with SC and all mods disclosed. No evaluation required. Only 4 pics of the car. Price was higher than my current insurance co., but the payout would be greater that double assuming a write off. Emergency towing included. Here's the number I called for Canadian service. 1.877.922.4035