PDA

View Full Version : DIY cell phone repairs...anyone do it?

Uncle Buck
07-07-2016, 10:29 AM
I have 2 wonderful daughters. One has never broken or even scratched her phone and the other well, let's just say she has a special talent when it comes to cell phone carnage.

The latest is a broken screen on an iPhone 6. The "genius" bar looked at it and after a 2 hour wait said there is evidence of moisture in the phone and even though it works fine and we're willing to pay, they refused to take our money and fix it. It's against policy. WTF?

I know we could go to any generic repair place but they are often pretty sketchy and wondered if there was a DIY option, especially since I'm certain this won't be the last time.

I quick web search found repair kits like this.
https://www.amazon.ca/Cell-Phone-DIY-Replacement-Screen/dp/B01H636QKG/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1467841653&sr=1-2&keywords=iPhone+6+repair

YouTube videos look straight forward.

Anyone have any experience with these kits?

83 5.0
07-07-2016, 12:52 PM
I use a place in Oakville called Techville on Kerr street, very reasonable and have been able to repair my daughters older I phone over the years.

NickD
07-07-2016, 12:56 PM
I've taken apart several phone, it's not bad if your patient and careful, little ribbon cables are the best chance of screwing up.
Sites like "ifixit" have full breakdowns and vids on most popular devices.
Make sure any kit you order has the tools needed included if I remember the bottom of iPhones have a small torx security (center pin) screw or similar

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

NickD
07-07-2016, 12:58 PM
One other thing to add, screen replacement included the LCD as well as the touch layer, see if you can find reports of others using a similar kit as quality does very

X3Mustang
01-25-2017, 11:38 AM
I've taken apart several phone, it's not bad if your patient and careful, little ribbon cables are the best chance of screwing up.
Sites like "ifixit" have full breakdowns and vids on most popular devices.
Make sure any kit you order has the tools needed included if I remember the bottom of iPhones have a small torx security (center pin) screw or similar

I tried taking apart my phone, put it back together a new LCD screen but the home button stopped working.

And it took a while to get all that done. If anyone wants a suggestion on this take it to a store.

I ended up taking mine to a store called itech wireless (http://itechwireless.ca) on avenue rd last week got it all fixed in 30 min

Unless you are apro on this stuff i suggest take it to a pro

ttpinto
01-25-2017, 08:17 PM
If the iphone 6 is like the 4 its a breeze if your careful. I've done several 4's

Harbinger
01-26-2017, 02:37 AM
YouTube videos and diy posts online

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RedSN
01-26-2017, 11:26 AM
Or just get rid of the daughter that breaks phones and keep the other one.

Harbinger
01-26-2017, 01:04 PM
The new Samsung and Sony phones are water proof so taking them apart is such a bitch. Need to heat up the sides to make the sealant more pliable. Almost similar to headlight retrofit projects lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk