PDA

View Full Version : I'll start the foreign thread

Mellow Yellow
07-28-2016, 11:22 PM
BTW - I still have my Mustang...I just have a hard on for the Z cars.

The motor is a 3 litre bored out to 3.1L, it is a twin turbo. The motor was assembled by Jack Roush Racing in Livonia Michigan (yes they build more than just Ford motors) It is rated for 32lbs of boost. Currently running a "mild" 15lbs, does have another setting of around 22lbs - haven't tried that yet. Full boogie stereo and video system in the trunk (no room for anything else).

Stephen06GT
07-29-2016, 06:11 AM
Sweet ride. Love the plate.

ZR
07-29-2016, 06:45 AM
Couple summers back, Ross n I came just that close to pulling the trigger on a 300, always loved that body style.

newbiestangowner
07-29-2016, 06:45 AM
very nice- great plate :highfive:

Blackmare
07-29-2016, 07:06 AM
Wicked ride!

Mellow Yellow
07-29-2016, 08:49 AM
I'm in Toronto at the Zcon convention all next week; maybe I should book some dyno time with DaSilva.

ZR
07-29-2016, 08:55 AM
If you do, please holler, love to see it make a pull.

Scrape
07-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Very nice! Love these cars. As a former installer I love the audio work too! JL subs and amps! Very nice.

Mellow Yellow
07-29-2016, 01:35 PM
Very nice! Love these cars. As a former installer I love the audio work too! JL subs and amps! Very nice.

I broke one of the subs (foam) last Friday (expensive lesson!!). Couldn't get the same vintage so I just bought a pair of JL 10W7 anniversary subs. Swapping them out this weekend...got to get ready for the judged show on Wednesday!

Uncle Buck
07-29-2016, 01:58 PM
I'm a closet Z car fan but don't tell anyone

Ponyryd
07-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Damn, sick ride Kev, someone sure put a LOT of time and money into it.....lucky it wasn't you, lol.
My heart lies with the RX-7 though, just with a different engine, lol. I love the styling and performance but the rotary is, lets say, different.

Laffs
08-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Damn, sick ride Kev, someone sure put a LOT of time and money into it.....lucky it wasn't you, lol.
My heart lies with the RX-7 though, just with a different engine, lol. I love the styling and performance but the rotary is, lets say, different.

Have you considered LSx RX7 as your lord and saviour?

Car looks good Kevin, kind of a early 2000s time capsule piece. Lots of money in there for sure.

ZR
08-02-2016, 10:32 AM

Car looks good Kevin, kind of a early 2000s time capsule piece. Lots of money in there for sure.

Never stop considering it here. Largest hurdle, decent RX7 at a price that makes sense. Ross n I looked after car after car after car that were described as nice rides only to find rotted out shitters. Did see the odd nice one but priced way too high.

Laffs
08-02-2016, 01:12 PM
Do you want FC or FD chassis?

BAB CObra
08-02-2016, 01:42 PM
ugggh so sexy!! i love Z's and Rx as well.. must be that asian in me... oh wait i am 100% asian lol

Ponyryd
08-02-2016, 09:38 PM

Yes I have, I think about them often actually. As ststed though, hard to find clean and especially at a good price. I remember Dean85Gt was looking at one year ago before he LSd his fox, that car was and still is one of my dream cars.

I actually tried to buy Dave Bs old red one a few years ago when he "gave up on cars" lol, too bad he wanted folding money for it :(

Hey, I saw Dan D the other day at Xaco Taco, lol.

Laffs
08-03-2016, 09:42 AM
Yes I have, I think about them often actually. As ststed though, hard to find clean and especially at a good price. I remember Dean85Gt was looking at one year ago before he LSd his fox, that car was and still is one of my dream cars.

I actually tried to buy Dave Bs old red one a few years ago when he "gave up on cars" lol, too bad he wanted folding money for it :(

Hey, I saw Dan D the other day at Xaco Taco, lol.

Ya, Danio is in town, it was our buddies wedding on Saturday (the one who went to Tail of Dragon with in June). He's rocking a Pacifica, really elevating his dad brand.

Mellow Yellow
08-03-2016, 03:16 PM
If you do, please holler, love to see it make a pull.

Friday August 5 at 8am for those interested.

Ponyryd
08-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Ya, Danio is in town, it was our buddies wedding on Saturday (the one who went to Tail of Dragon with in June). He's rocking a Pacifica, really elevating his dad brand.

Pacifica? Lol, Dan in a minivan. Rocking out to some Guar.
As far as vans go they're nice, a huge difference compared to the current Caravans that's for sure. Either way I was surprised to see him.

Mellow Yellow
08-08-2016, 10:46 AM
Well made it to DaSilva's last Friday to dyno the 300ZX.....very disappointed. The car pulled 316 hp and 317 lb ft. The biggest issue it was running SO rich we aborted the second pull. DaSilva's equipment doesn't display anything less than 10 on the air/fuel. The feeling is its likely running around 9. So now I have to find someone who can tune using the current APEXI controllers or with over to a more modern system (Haltech oe AEM). It has potential of pulling close to 400 if the air/fuel was proper.

So the rest of Friday was uneventful until about 1pm. I attended the 2016 Zcon autocross event at the Brampton Powered Centre on Kennedy Road. It wasn't participating in the event so I parked in an empty area. There was a pickup truck 40 feet to the right and nothing to the left. The car was nose to Kennedy. I was taking pictures of the cars as they negotiated there layout. Walking back to the car another member ran up to me to say my car had been hit. WTF!!! I immediately thought what asshole couldn't drive. BUT that wasn't the issue. A mini van going south on Kennedy lost a front wheel. That thing rolled for 300 feet, between telephone poles and between trees to find the passenger front corner of the car. The custom fender and custom paint job are damaged. I may be looking at a complete repaint!

I called 911, the lady asked if anyone had been hurt.... my response "not yet"! The guy didn't think there was an issue and was pissed I would call the cops. He said the tire was changed by CAA and it was their fault. I say he should have known there was something wrong (steering wheel shaking). Representatives from CAA showed up at a People Choice show at Bruce Mills Conservation area. His words when saw the car was holy fuck.

Interestingly, the CAA rep indicated they had changed the flat on the mini van on the passenger side, but it was the drivers side that fell off.

Now I deal with my insurance.

Ray721
08-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Brutal

ZR
08-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Dammit, so very sorry to hear.

Mellow Yellow
08-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Damage. Looks small, but custom fender and paint.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc26/05MellowYellow/DSCN1482_zpsp1okiu56.jpg (http://s212.photobucket.com/user/05MellowYellow/media/DSCN1482_zpsp1okiu56.jpg.html)

Blackmare
08-08-2016, 11:52 AM
That really sucks.

Scrape
08-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Oh No! Sorry to hear that. That really sucks.

hsousa88
08-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Ouch. That sucks man... Beauty car though.

I'll return to this thread when I have my very own evo 9 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellow Yellow
08-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Ouch. That sucks man... Beauty car though.

I'll return to this thread when I have my very own evo 9 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the way home Saturday night around midnight, I just left the Woodstock service centre and got "surrounded" by a group of Fast and Furious cars, one of which was an EVO. They were trying to get me to go. I was much too tired and smart to do so. They didn't leave me alone until they got off in London.

I figured they were coming from Import Fest in downtown Toronto. If they were regulars there they may have remembered the car as it was shown in previous years and was an award winner.

Ponyryd
08-08-2016, 07:14 PM
That sucks Kev, luckily though your car took the hit and nobody got hurt by that wheel, that could have ended much worse.
Maybe leave the rest of the car but do something custom on the front for that corner? It's a good opportunity to do some "personalization"

Laffs
08-09-2016, 10:52 AM
Sucks to see Kevin, hopefully insurance makes you whole.

On the tuning note, pretty sure I know a few guys who are well versed in the old APEXi piggybacks, could try and get some info from them. I think going to an AEM plug and play will make finding a tuner easier and improve reliability and drivability 10x

Mellow Yellow
08-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Sucks to see Kevin, hopefully insurance makes you whole.

On the tuning note, pretty sure I know a few guys who are well versed in the old APEXi piggybacks, could try and get some info from them. I think going to an AEM plug and play will make finding a tuner easier and improve reliability and drivability 10x

I think the insurance will come to the table...since it is custom fender and paint, I may see if R&M is willing to handle it. Their hourly rates are similar to others, but they take their time to get it right. I'm not paying so we will see. Besides I don't think the average shop will want to touch it...I will be terribly picky! LOL

Chris, I think I may look at at the AEM or even the Haltech system; both are plug and play and certainly more modern than the older systems. Then need to ensure it is optimally tuned! then back to the see DaSilva, or someone similar.

Laffs
08-10-2016, 10:02 AM
I actually went on a cruise with the guys I had in mind last night, they all agreed going to an AEM would be a huge benefit and not to bother with the piggybacks. They also said if its that rich, throw some more boost at it.

Mellow Yellow
08-10-2016, 03:04 PM
I actually went on a cruise with the guys I had in mind last night, they all agreed going to an AEM would be a huge benefit and not to bother with the piggybacks. They also said if its that rich, throw some more boost at it.

I'd love to if I could figure out how the Apexi Boost Controller works!! LOL

Have you ever tried to read their paperwork!

Mellow Yellow
05-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Well made it to DaSilva's last Friday to dyno the 300ZX.....very disappointed. The car pulled 316 hp and 317 lb ft. The biggest issue it was running SO rich we aborted the second pull. DaSilva's equipment doesn't display anything less than 10 on the air/fuel. The feeling is its likely running around 9. So now I have to find someone who can tune using the current APEXI controllers or with over to a more modern system (Haltech oe AEM). It has potential of pulling close to 400 if the air/fuel was proper.

So the rest of Friday was uneventful until about 1pm. I attended the 2016 Zcon autocross event at the Brampton Powered Centre on Kennedy Road. It wasn't participating in the event so I parked in an empty area. There was a pickup truck 40 feet to the right and nothing to the left. The car was nose to Kennedy. I was taking pictures of the cars as they negotiated there layout. Walking back to the car another member ran up to me to say my car had been hit. WTF!!! I immediately thought what asshole couldn't drive. BUT that wasn't the issue. A mini van going south on Kennedy lost a front wheel. That thing rolled for 300 feet, between telephone poles and between trees to find the passenger front corner of the car. The custom fender and custom paint job are damaged. I may be looking at a complete repaint!

I called 911, the lady asked if anyone had been hurt.... my response "not yet"! The guy didn't think there was an issue and was pissed I would call the cops. He said the tire was changed by CAA and it was their fault. I say he should have known there was something wrong (steering wheel shaking). Representatives from CAA showed up at a People Choice show at Bruce Mills Conservation area. His words when saw the car was holy fuck.

Interestingly, the CAA rep indicated they had changed the flat on the mini van on the passenger side, but it was the drivers side that fell off.

Now I deal with my insurance.

This original post was August 8, 2016.

It has taken 9 months, feels like I'm having a baby, but FINALLY getting the car in to be repaired.

The insurance company has come to the table and the car is getting a complete repaint! The custom paint and flames could not be matched.
This is both good and bad. The bad is the amount of time required for the paint work, The good is that all that can be taken off will be taken off and painted properly. There were niggling little things that drove me nuts. As an example there are rubber gaskets around the door handles that were painted over, this will be corrected. There were stone chips that will also get corrected.

The 2017 ZCON in Austin Texas begins on June 20th (leaving on June 17th) so basically a month to get everything corrected, then cleaned up (we all know how sanding dust gets into everything) before we leave.
Maybe I'll get an award with the new paint job in the judged portion of the convention, who knows.

Final colour has not been determined, but I'm dropping the flames and will likely get away from the heavy metal flake that is currently on the car.

I'll post pictures as I get them.

mavrrrick
05-15-2017, 01:07 PM
I'm a closet Z car fan but don't tell anyone

Ummmmm.......you blew it!!! lol

ZR
05-15-2017, 01:11 PM
With any luck the rest is smooooooother sailing.

Mellow Yellow
05-15-2017, 07:15 PM
post up what you figure out about your tuning issues. I have a friend down the road with a Z that is also running rich. He's thinking the car will have to come off the road in 2 years due to no pass on Etest. He reinstalled his cats and running on a conditional pass for not.

good luck on your repairs...

Pretty sure I'll be changing to an AEM or Haltech ECU. Just not sure I can get everything done before Texas. My tuner will be travelling with me.....he may not be sleeping when not driving! ��
These systems seem to have the necessary pieces to get these motors running optimally.

Speedtospare
05-15-2017, 11:34 PM
I will go to Zcon next year when my 240 is ready. Hopefully it will be closer and the purists wont kill me lol. Is your car an OBD2 car?

Mellow Yellow
05-16-2017, 06:56 AM
I will go to Zcon next year when my 240 is ready. Hopefully it will be closer and the purists wont kill me lol. Is your car an OBD2 car?

No its not.

I can either replace the ECU or change the chip in it. I'd love to be able to flash the ECU like I can with my Mustang.

Laffs
05-16-2017, 02:31 PM
Go standalone since you don't have to deal with OBD etests. Will greatly improve the performance and drivability of that car. Glad to hear they are going for the full repaint.

Mellow Yellow
05-26-2017, 10:07 AM
I have decided on the colour the 300ZX will be painted. It is Mustang related.

I have chosen the Avalanche Grey from the 2016 Mustang GT350.

ZR
05-26-2017, 12:48 PM
Wow, how long till color hits it?

Mellow Yellow
05-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Visited the body shop today. Car has been taken apart (mirrors off, trim off, front and rear facia off) and sanding has begun. He was going to remove the glass, but was worried the window gaskets may not be available and didn't want to damage the windshield or deck glass.

Mid to late next week he said he will paint it, then there is the additional items such as polishing etc. and put it back together.

Didn't take a picture, but there was a Hemi GTX and a Pontiac GTO, with LS3 conversion, there that he previously painted. The GTO is black and I couldn't see ANY imperfections in the paint at all. The GTX was a sort of aqua blue, no imperfections in it either. So I think this guy will do a great job.

I have talked to him about my 1983 280ZX. I think he really wants to do the work and is anxious to get the car. Likely an LS swap.......when money arrives! LOL

Mellow Yellow
06-03-2017, 09:54 AM
A couple of progress pictures.

Yesterday they were painting the hood, fenders, doors and front facia when I too these pictures. Said they were painting the rest of the car Friday afternoon....I said there isn't much left...LOL

Mellow Yellow
06-04-2017, 12:48 AM
1 more note - I had them roll the rear fender wells. Gave me about 1/2 for wider tires if I wish.

Laffs
06-07-2017, 08:52 AM
Coming along Kev, who's doing the work?

Mellow Yellow
06-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Work being done by DiMilo Collision in Leamington.

Not back together yet, but getting there. I leave for Texas On June 17.
Two panels between the windshield and the back deck were painted gloss black to simulate a glass roof when viewed with the T-tops in place.

Needs black wheels, but I don't have enough time to source and install. Maybe when in Texas I can find something....but the judged show is on June 21st.

Here are some progress pictures:

Ponyryd
06-07-2017, 09:36 PM
Start checking now for wheels in Texas if that's what you're planning, check craigslist, or z forums around there, or check for local shops and see if they can source anything for ya.
Looks like they're doing a great job on it.

ZR
06-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Looking killer thus far.

Scrape
06-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Looking good! You need a GTR motor in there now. My friend is selling one all done up for $18,000.

Mellow Yellow
06-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Looking good! You need a GTR motor in there now. My friend is selling one all done up for $18,000.

Tease!

Scrape
06-08-2017, 07:41 PM
LOL! Posting a picture of a GTR now that is a tease. :D

Mellow Yellow
06-12-2017, 03:25 PM
Couple of pics. She's done and on the way home by flat bed as I type.
Second picture shows how the black paint and t-tops simulate a complete glass top.

More pictures when she's home.

Mellow Yellow
06-12-2017, 04:25 PM
Further pictures.
Now a little cleanup, load her up in the trailer and off to Texas on Saturday.

I will try and get a good video of my drive around the Circuit of the Americas F1 track while in Austin TX.

I don't think it turned out too bad considering a colour change from heavy metal flake and ghost flames to this. It was a little too flashy for me before. Now I think striking and low key.

Armen
06-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Looks way better. Now for new wheels. And about that 'grille', LoL.

Mellow Yellow
06-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Looks way better. Now for new wheels. And about that 'grille', LoL.

Wheels I agree. I'll see how much they are in Texas.

Trying to source a more subdued front facia was a chore all by itself!
Many do not fit correctly. This one was already fitted.
The side openings are needed for the intercoolers.

ZR
06-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Flat out love the color, nicely done.

WTF
06-12-2017, 05:46 PM
looks awesome

Stephen06GT
06-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Looks great Kevin.

Laffs
06-13-2017, 10:02 AM
Looks amazing Kev, thats a fast turn around for Dimilo as well, dude does great work

Mellow Yellow
06-13-2017, 02:32 PM
Looks amazing Kev, thats a fast turn around for Dimilo as well, dude does great work

I'm very pleased.

Although under pressure, from me, he took the car apart and painted everything the way it should be. Even inside the gas door it looks amazing!
Until I saw the colour on the car I wasn't sure I had chosen correctly.

Laffs
06-13-2017, 02:37 PM
You going to get it clear bra'd or anything to protect the new paint?

Mellow Yellow
06-13-2017, 03:08 PM
Maybe after Texas. It's going straight into the trailer, to Texas and the judged show.

I kind of like the clear bra, as long as its not too obvious.

BTW I note in your signature you have a hideAway plate. I got an electrically operated one installed also......what do you mean there is no plate officer? LOL

Cruikshank
08-16-2017, 09:16 AM
Maybe after redeeming buzz bingo bonus codes (https://www.laweekly.com/buzz-bingo-bonus-codes/) in Texas. It's going straight into the trailer, to Texas and the judged show.

I kind of clear bra, as long as its not too obvious.

BTW I note in your signature you have a hideAway plate. I got an electrically operated one installed also......what do you mean there is no plate officer? LOL

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8851&d=1497298947

I do love this.

FishFinder
05-05-2022, 03:33 AM
waao! really nice