PDA

View Full Version : Watching olympics without cable?

Ponyryd
08-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Hey guys, we cancelled our cable months ago since we rarely watch tv, but now we want to watch the olympics and I'm wondering what you guys use if you don't have cable. I tried three different antennas ranging from $60-112 and none give me more than 1 fuzzy channel. I also called cogeco and they are supposed to come Thursday to reconnect it, but I'm wondering about the meantime. We have an ott box and Netflix, and I always hear how antennas are great and you get tons of free channels, but I get squat, lol.

03svt
08-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Have you tried an android box?

RedSN
08-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Should get lots in Windsor with Detroit right across the river.
We get the Olympics on CBC

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

What antenna did you get?
We get some 20+ HD channels with our Clearstream 4

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt137/LX-Markham/image.jpg1_zpspy0zuwam.jpg

Ponyryd
08-06-2016, 12:04 PM
^Ya,mi thought so too, but I get channel 42 and its fuzzy. I'm right by the river too so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, these things are getting great reviews and it seems like everyone loves them, should be a sure thing I thought.

Have you tried an android box?

Don't think so, ours is an ott box, just a streaming box, gets movies and tv series and stuff.

RedSN
08-06-2016, 12:15 PM
We are lucky in our location we just have to aim the antenna at the CN Tower.
Sounds like yours just isn't aimed right.

Did you try putting your address in that link I posted?
It gives you ALL the info you need about channels

Ponyryd
08-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Thanks Don, according to that I should get 20 channels with it indoors. I gotta be doing it wrong, mine is a Clearstream 2v

True Blue
08-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Not to be a dick. Did you set your TV tuner to antenna to scan for OTA channels?

hsousa88
08-06-2016, 08:07 PM
I thought CBC was streaming most of it? Check their website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ponyryd
08-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Thanks, I'll check.

Not to be a dick. Did you set your TV tuner to antenna to scan for OTA channels?

Ya, it's on antenna, I even went onto the roof and moved the antenna all over the place, I get channel 42, crystal clear at time, but only the one channel.

Ponyryd
08-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Got the antenna working, for some reason it won't work on my upstairs tv (toshiba, 14 years old), but I connect it downstairs on my other tv (toshiba, 6 years old) and do a scan and I get 10 channels, including CBC! So anyways thanks for all the help guys.

Laffs
08-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Your upstairs TV probably doesn't have a digital converter built in. You need that to get the digital free to air channels. 42 is non digital hence why it came in, sorta.

For what its worth I bought a really nice Digital Antenna and roof mounted it. Getting about 26 channels in HD right now, that plus my Kodi box has eliminated any desire to get cable aside from live sports.

Ponyryd
08-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Ya thanks, I didn't know 42 wasn't digital but it makes sense. Also someone at work told me I needed a box, he's got a spare and he's bringing it tomorrow so I should be all set. What direction is your pointed at?

Spock
08-08-2016, 08:01 PM
I used this

http://www.xtek.ca/hdtvpointer/

it works great, just plug in your city or address & zoom in on your house to see how the antenna should be pointed
i've been using a DB8E with an amplifier for 5 years in Acton & get 23 channels including all the Buffalo ones

PS the HD quality with the antenna is way better then bell or rogers , especially with CBC

Ponyryd
08-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Okay thanks, that link is set to Buffalo though, not sure how to change it.
You're right about the quality though, crystal clear.

Laffs
08-09-2016, 10:45 AM
Ya thanks, I didn't know 42 wasn't digital but it makes sense. Also someone at work told me I needed a box, he's got a spare and he's bringing it tomorrow so I should be all set. What direction is your pointed at?

The sky. (Its omni directional I believe)

Spock
08-09-2016, 06:55 PM
Okay thanks, that link is set to Buffalo though, not sure how to change it.
You're right about the quality though, crystal clear.

Just plug in your address in the first field.as for targets you want the CN tower & long Island NY
That covers all the best channels available in southern Ontario