PDA

View Full Version : 'shoot/don't shoot' simulation

RedSN
08-10-2016, 01:09 PM
A woman was fatally shot by an officer while participating in a "shoot-don't shoot" exercise....participants were randomly selected to take part in a live roleplaying scenario "in which they make decisions on using simulated lethal force."
Mary Knowlton, a librarian, was "mistakenly struck with a live round."
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating, Lewis said. He declined to identify the officer involved in the shooting, but said he's been placed on administrative leave.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/fla-woman-shot-dead-during-police-shoot-don-t-shoot-simulation-1.3022451

WTF?
I'm sure the officer is devastated, but this is inexcusable, and reckless. The obvious question is how could the officer not know the weapon was loaded? I think the bigger question is why would you use a real weapon in a simulation?

jibbijib
08-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Ah, Florida at it's finest.

Blackmare
08-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Man, what a shame. The officer must feel absolutely horrible. I can't imagine having to live with that on my conscience.
Definitely needed way more oversight to ensure that live rounds/real guns weren't in the mix.

BOOOSTD
08-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Most police services use what they refer to as a 'Simmunition' firearm and ammo which basically can only discharge a paintball round. So whoever was in charge (usually a safety officer) of making sure that there was no live firearms & rounds within the training area royally screwed up and that's inexcusable!! Thoughts and prayers for the lady and her family :(

ZR
08-16-2016, 07:24 AM
Found a little bit more info on the officer involved but no other updates I could find.
Tragic she lost her life this way.

Scrape
08-16-2016, 07:50 AM
Wow. I am speechless.

SVOMACH1
08-16-2016, 08:14 AM
Very sad.

ZR
08-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Some things are just never ever ever suppose to happen.

90LXCoupe
08-17-2016, 12:45 AM
Pretty fucking stupid on a whole bunch of levels. My thoughts are with all involved with this senseless tragedy.