PDA

View Full Version : Daycare

12vGuy
08-18-2016, 12:27 AM
So, get a call from out home based daycare provider today. Ministry shut her down effective immediately.

Not because dirty or unsafe but too many kids. She had 10 in total but number over the summer fluctuates with camp and whatnot. Ends up being almost a drop zone for the neighbors. This woman and her friend opened her home, provided 2 home cooked meals and always worked with the kids. Also walked the kids to and from school and would pick up your kid mid-day if sick.
The ministry provided no warning or any opportunity for the parents to find alternate care.

I had gone the registered route but due to the fact my son occasionally (rarely now) has fever seizures he was "blackballed" and we would get a call to pick him up every time he'd get the sniffles and low grade fever not to return until fever free for 24 hrs ( cause we all have infinite sick/holidays).

So now with no notice I have no daycare and no before or after school care. The school he's enrolled at (near daycare) has no space available for before or after care and I'm sure our local school will be the same.

If anyone can refer me to someone near pinevalley and 7 or the Rutherford go station it would be much appreciated.

USAWIT2
08-18-2016, 07:49 AM
Sucks but they've been cracking down on home based daycares, lots of new rules especially the max 5 kids per house and limits on ages etc.
Must of had a complaint from a neighbour or parent for them even investigate.
Good luck with your search.

70XR7
08-18-2016, 11:56 AM
My colleague at work's wife is part of the team that goes around shutting places down, doing inspections, etc..
when it comes to childcare, there's no warnings. This isn't something you play around with. The standards are in place to guarantee a reasonably safe environment for children. If it's not safe, you're immediately done. If warnings were given, and something harmful happened to a child during that warning period, the shit would hit the fan.

I went to a home daycare as a kid. I enjoyed it, but as a parent I don't want to do it if I don't have to. You're a slave to their vacation and sick days, and standards are harder to enforce; and there's seldom a second or third pair of eyes to keep an eye on the caregiver incase of mistreatment.

But... it's more affordable, and of course that's a major factor. It's like another mortgage payment at some places! Especially the deeper you get into the GTA.

sorry to hear about your situation. Hope you find a suitable replacement soon!

12vGuy
08-18-2016, 12:25 PM
Crisis averted!
Was able to secure last spot. I was pretty sure we would lose it as Logan was one of the later kids set up with her but we got the nod as logan does occasionally require special attention and unfortunately we don't have any back up.
Thanks all

ZR
08-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Good to hear Steve.

92redragtop
08-18-2016, 05:56 PM
I believe they convicted (or sentenced) the home daycare operator (in Woodbridge) recently in the case of the child who died in their care a couple years ago. Civil litigation may still be ongoing but the Crown portion is done. Maybe this crackdown is related?

IanGTCS
08-18-2016, 08:02 PM
I lucky in that the lady next door to my work runs a home based day care, and I work with her husband. A little too jesus-y for me, but the convenience factor may win out in a year when I'm looking for somewhere for day care.

Ray721
08-18-2016, 09:18 PM
This is why I don't have kids. Can't afford em.

70XR7
08-19-2016, 07:46 AM
I lucky in that the lady next door to my work runs a home based day care, and I work with her husband. A little too jesus-y for me, but the convenience factor may win out in a year when I'm looking for somewhere for day care.

Yeah.. I had one as a kid that made me go to church. I was only 7, so I didn't know that these things should be discussed with the parents first. I didn't know my mother didn't know until I was a teen when it happened to come up.