PDA

View Full Version : Wagner Electric spray gun for fence staining?

allicedout
09-02-2016, 08:37 AM
Hey guys looks like I have a busy long weekend ahead of me... My fence is in desperate need of staining and I'm trying to make this as quick and as painless as possible. I'm looking at purchasing a Wagner electric spray gun to tackle the job. I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with Wagner spray guns, or could recommend one that they have used with good results. The reviews are mixed so I thought i'd ask here and see what you all have to say. I will be using an opaque stain if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Vinny_vegas
09-02-2016, 12:10 PM
Will work for you . but you will consume more than double the stain. Also make sure the fence is prepped properly before staining. Once applied per section it is a good idea to have a brush handy to take away runs or uneven application of stain by going over said spots.

The key to staining is do not let the sprayer tip become clogged and even application of stain. Be careful of overspray especially if windy,

Cheers

IanGTCS
09-02-2016, 08:03 PM
I have one that I used for lattice work on a fence. It chews through the paint, have to say. If you want I can lend you mine if I can find it if you are willing to meet up.

If you buy one the most important thing it to really clean it after use.

allicedout
09-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys appreciate the feedback and the offer to borrow. Looks like I'll picking one up today at Lowes and take advantage of the no tax going on this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Stephen06GT
09-03-2016, 08:30 AM
If you like your neighbours, watch the overspray. My neighbour painted his side of our shared fence with a sprayer a couple of years ago and I had overspray all over my BBQ cover and patio.

Scrape
09-03-2016, 08:35 AM
I have one and bought various spray nozzles. It does go through a lot of paint. Good luck and enjoy.

allicedout
09-03-2016, 08:57 AM
If you like your neighbours, watch the overspray. My neighbour painted his side of our shared fence with a sprayer a couple of years ago and I had overspray all over my BBQ cover and patio.

Thankfully (well sometimes a royal pain in the ass) I live on a corner lot and back on to a school parking lot..... No cars parked there on the weekend so should be good to go.

allicedout
09-06-2016, 08:22 AM
So turns out Monday was perfect for spraying the fence. I did get the Wagner spray gun and went to town. I opted for The Wagner PaintREADY Sprayer is a multi-purpose hand-held HVLP sprayer. According to the description I wouldn't need to thin out the stain using this gun, and true to the writing on the box I didn't. I was able to spray two coats on the exterior side of the fence in approx two and half hours. As all of you mentioned it did consume a lot of stain, I was diligent about cleaned the tip every fill up. 1/2 way through the job I had to stop and take apart the entire nozzle and wash it out and start again. All in all it was exactly as all the reviews I read, the nozzle will clog and it uses a lot of stain, but keeping the nozzle clean as everyone mentioned here did the job. Its not the best piece of equipment and by no means would I even attempt to use it indoors, but even if this gun stopped working after the job was complete it would still be worth the $124.99 I spent.

ZR
09-06-2016, 08:32 AM
Got some pics?

allicedout
09-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Got some pics?

Here's a before pic from Google street, I'll get some after pics tonight when I get home.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/1sykhatch/yard_zpsklhbnkvn.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/1sykhatch/media/yard_zpsklhbnkvn.jpg.html)

ZR
09-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Deal.
Good to hear the sprayer worked out ok.

Scrape
09-06-2016, 11:48 AM
Glad to hear that. After pics would be great!

Snaketamer
09-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Wow...are the trees ever turning fast down you way...you'll be shovelling the white stuff before you know it....

Was going to borrow a buddy's to paint a brick front fireplace...you wouldn't reccomend for indoors?

allicedout
09-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Wow...are the trees ever turning fast down you way...you'll be shovelling the white stuff before you know it....

Was going to borrow a buddy's to paint a brick front fireplace...you wouldn't reccomend for indoors?

Those are Google street view pics...... It has to be at least 2 years old..

Brick fireplace.... I think it will be OK.... Prepare a large masking area. The instructions actually tell you how much to mask.... I can post it up if your going to use the gun.

allicedout
09-07-2016, 07:49 AM
Sorry guys not the best pictures but I think you can see the difference........

BEFORE

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/1sykhatch/fence_zps6me57qb6.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/1sykhatch/media/fence_zps6me57qb6.jpg.html)

AFTER

ZR
09-07-2016, 07:55 AM
Well that sure cleaned things up nicely.

MUSTANGWOP
09-07-2016, 07:55 AM
Turned out real nice.

Blackmare
09-07-2016, 08:08 AM
Looks good.

Scott
09-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Great job!

baddbullitt
09-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Wow that looks really good!! Brought new life back to it!!! A+ buddy!!!

RedSN
09-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Looks great! Nice colour choice. We just stained our pergola. Had to redo it a second time because the colour looked terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allicedout
09-07-2016, 10:02 AM
Looks great! Nice colour choice. We just stained our pergola. Had to redo it a second time because the colour looked terrible.

Thanks!
I ended up doing 2 coats...... debating a 3rd. The wood was extremely dry and soaked up the stain like nothing.

Scrape
09-07-2016, 12:04 PM
http://worldofpopculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/tony-the-tiger.jpg Hemant!

redo75
09-07-2016, 08:05 PM
Wow, I didn't know you could air brush the tree out of the street scene like that!

IanGTCS
09-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Looks great. Any issues with runs etc? First time I used a sprayer there was a bit of a learning curve to get a feel for it. Makes me glad I started on a hidden area.

allicedout
09-08-2016, 07:29 AM
Wow, I didn't know you could air brush the tree out of the street scene like that!

City chopped her down.....

Looks great. Any issues with runs etc? First time I used a sprayer there was a bit of a learning curve to get a feel for it. Makes me glad I started on a hidden area.

The very first time it was just pissing paint like nothing...... I just kept spraying, it stopped midway through the second reload. As you mentioned once everything was working right and I got a handle on using it I went to town and kept going until it needed cleaning. Then started again.

Snaketamer
09-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Those are Google street view pics...... It has to be at least 2 years old..

Guess I shoulda :stickpoke: :D