PDA

View Full Version : Mustang crash at TMP road course

fast Ed
09-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Did anyone else hear about this? Details are thin ... hopefully the occupants will recover OK.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6841301-two-seriously-injured-in-cayuga-speedway-crash/

Stephen06GT
09-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Heard rumblings about it, but nothing on where on the track or how it happened. Best wishes to those injured in the crash.

98 Snake
09-07-2016, 01:11 PM
Rumor is he lost his brakes at the end of the first straight and went off the track. Car flipped several times.

ZR
09-07-2016, 02:01 PM
OMG, hope everyone is ok.

ZR
09-07-2016, 05:37 PM
CAYUGA — Police are investigating a crash at the Toronto Motorsports Park in Cayuga.
Emergency crews were called to the Kohler Road park around 3:10 p.m. Monday, after two people sustained serious injuries in a single-vehicle rollover.
Haldimand OPP say that the car — a Mustang GT Cobra — was participating in a "sanctioned event" at the speedway (which has both a dragway and a road course) when it flipped on the track.
Both occupants were rushed to hospital with serious injuries. The investigation is ongoing.

Stephen06GT
09-07-2016, 10:04 PM
I cannot confirm nor deny, but word on some other site is that it happened at the end of the front straight. Car lost braking and it went from bad to worse very quickly.

fast Ed
09-07-2016, 10:43 PM
That can be a problem when the runoff area is just grass and dirt ... when you get on that surface, and try to make a quick move with the steering, it's very easy to dig in the outside front wheel and flip the car. I could see someone in the situation where they've lost brakes, making a strong move on the steering wheel to the right to try to keep away from that giant earth berm.

StAnger
09-08-2016, 06:55 AM
The article calling the car a GT Cobra makes me wonder if it was a Fox body with stock brakes.

G-ForceJunkie
09-08-2016, 07:36 PM
That can be a problem when the runoff area is just grass and dirt ... when you get on that surface, and try to make a quick move with the steering, it's very easy to dig in the outside front wheel and flip the car. I could see someone in the situation where they've lost brakes, making a strong move on the steering wheel to the right to try to keep away from that giant earth berm.
I'm sure I'd be as guilty as anyone trying to make the corner if I ever lost my brakes, but realistically, I would think the best thing to do is head straight and hit the dirt.

ZR
09-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Unless you somehow made the corner, agree likely prudent just to hit the dirt. Would however take a bunch of experience / self control to resist trying to make it.

tulowd
09-09-2016, 03:14 AM
Have lost the brakes at the end of that straightaway on 2 occasions; Styrofoam was in the car when we hit marbles and skated sideways towards and over the curb. Ended up only about ten feet in the grass, but we both shat ourselves thinking the vert was gonna flip when hitting the curb. Thankfully all three times wasn't in full jam at 180+ but for sure high speed and agricultural excursions don't guarantee a safe outcome. Best wishes for full and speedy recoveries to the driver and passenger.