PDA

View Full Version : Rant of the day.

5.4MarkVIII
09-26-2016, 03:11 PM
I hate governemnt burocratic bullshit.

In my town it's impossible to get anything done. I live in Hensall The munisipality frankly dosnt give a shit if you don't live in Zurich or Bayfeild. At work we have a neighbour that is breaking bylaws by living in a commercial property. The constantly block the shared driveway making it impossible for me to access the back half of my property.
The bylaw officer dosnt care. Municipality says sorry nothing we can do.
He parks in the spots designated for customers. All year round. Preventing snow removal from in front of my business he has hit my customers cars while he is trying to part. Last one we were their and he yelled at the customer for "parking in his spot" . She was in quoting a full house supply. Left upset and never came back. Cost me a $8000 sale.
Bylaw officer didn't car. Municipality didn't care. Police couldn't do anything cuz the car owner wasn't the one calling.

I called asking to have curb cut so I can I creeps parking at my house. They said not allowed to do that. Two weeks later the cut the curb for a guy in Zurich doing the exact same thing I wanted to do.

It's tiring bullshit. Now fast forward to this week.
We decide to pull down the 70.s wood paneling on our inclined porch and properly insulate it. So we can prevent the ice damning issue this year and hopefully save some money on heating.
Pull it down and realize the old header is rotted away along with half the rafters. Ther is nothing holding up the roof line but the steel frame door. Call my days get some supplies. And fix it. rebuilt the wall, replaced all the rafters brining it all to code and above in some places.
Get the re sheeted. Just need to shingle. And insulate the siding and finishing touches.

Get home this aft to a note on the door. The bylaw officer who is always too busy to handle anything. Stopped by and is ordering a stop to all work. Untill they can inspect it. Because I failed to get a permit.
Which is nothing more than a cash grab by the municipality.
Now it's raining and I'm not even allowed to shingle the damn roof untill he inspects it. I said well you were they're this morning what's not to code. He said well I didn't really look at it. We just need to know the the rafters you replaced are proper for the span and the beam is enough to take the weight.

My response was rafters are 2x6. Over a 6 foot span. 16" on centre. That's half the distance allowed by code. So no problem there and ther is no berm. We doubled up the header pannels. And used 2x6. There is no free span it's all supported by a stud wall. Again twice what is required by code. So we're is the damn problem?